No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
sealed wheel hub #7873368
05/28/23 09:09 AM
05/28/23 09:09 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
there was a thread about these a few weeks ago , well my turn to change 1 now , just doing the 2nd at the same time no point it will be needed in 6 months or year any way.

my trick for getting them out

3 inch grade 8 bolt and not , stack of washers enough to do 2 hubs is only about 5 dollars at my local hardware store the bolt end gets a bit mashed so it becomes somewhat sacrificial but if you have 1-2 to do no more wasteful than the bearing unit it's self.

if you were doing them every day for work there are a bunch of good tool options available to make pulling them easier
hold the nut with a 3/4 inch wrench , drive the bolt with the impact with it against the casting that holds the flange of the hub unit
[Linked Image]

soaking it all down with penetrating oil with some time to soak doesn't hurt and some whacks with the 3 pounder may have helped but having beat them out alone it took forever your just not getting any good pull on it , this pries them right out

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: sealed wheel hub [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7873439
05/28/23 10:44 AM
05/28/23 10:44 AM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
I’m a little surprised it doesn’t put too much bind on it, but if it works why not.

Re: sealed wheel hub [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7873468
05/28/23 11:24 AM
05/28/23 11:24 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Yeah I was one that posted about doing mine week or so ago. I'm going to try couple different things next time I have to change one.
What is the big nasty looking rust ball on side of yours????

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: sealed wheel hub [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7873905
05/28/23 10:39 PM
05/28/23 10:39 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
it is a shield , and if I want to have it I need to move it to the new one

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread