Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Where’d they go [Re: Wanna Be] #7875294
05/30/23 10:06 PM
05/30/23 10:06 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
I think too much credit is given to coyotes. Their nose tells them all they need to know about any trap set location. They ain't smart...most are cautious/spooky of fresh disturbances, especially where humans have been recently.

When you think they have left the area...they have not.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Where’d they go [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7875299
05/30/23 10:11 PM
05/30/23 10:11 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
I think too much credit is given to coyotes. Their nose tells them all they need to know about any trap set location. They ain't smart...most are cautious/spooky of fresh disturbances, especially where humans have been recently.

When you think they have left the area...they have not.

Swamp Wolf. I think you are 95 % correct. But I have seen some educated - smart coyotes that are in the 5 % that make me think they are smart and capable of reasoning. A truly educated or smart coyote. Just leaves. Ane goes else where. Those are the 1s that are hardest to catch

Re: Where’d they go [Re: Wanna Be] #7875326
05/30/23 10:37 PM
05/30/23 10:37 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
If they have pups they will leave. I think Coyotes from a survival stand point are smarter than dogs and I've seen some pretty smart dogs, but just like people Coyotes got to learn and be taught. Pretty easy to think the coyote you just caught is the one your after when there's plenty of coyotes around. Get into an area where coyotes have a pretty small home range where they regularly find your sets in the first 48 hours and are onto the game and recognize "your" scent. It can make you pull your hair out.

Re: Where’d they go [Re: Yes sir] #7875338
05/30/23 10:49 PM
05/30/23 10:49 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Learned and taught behavior in coyotes often save them from being caught. Smart females. Give birth to and teach the Female pups she raises to be = Smart Females. IF they live. Plus 1 on they know your smell ! Start the game off right. Make EVERY set like you are going after a = 8 year old 3 toed female and you will have less problems. Have a plan. Catch them BEFORE they know you are after them. IF you can

Re: Where’d they go [Re: Wanna Be] #7875359
05/30/23 11:09 PM
05/30/23 11:09 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
My problem is I'm new enough at this game that I might still be dealing with the coyotes that were learning the same time I was learning the basics here on my home turf. But I'm not a bounty hunter and it's still fun playing cat and mouse with the tricky ones. Just hope that none of the pups are learning the game from the parents because at some point it will get a little hard on my ego. Lol. I like learning and the challenge, if I really wanted to win I'd hang a bunch of snares in the area. I run test lures year around in my area and that probably helps them recognize my scent. You would think that that would cause them to let there guard down by the time trapping season rolls around but I'm almost convinced a few can tell whether I just walk up and put out a good odor for them to sample or if I spend more time there and bury a trap too. My old dog knew if the formulation was safe to sample or if there was a trap guarding it.

Re: Where’d they go [Re: Wanna Be] #7875366
05/30/23 11:21 PM
05/30/23 11:21 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Craig O’Gorman talked about = having a trap line dog. That was on line 365 with him. He ran 200 traps some days. That being said. The dog was exposed to traps 365. But he caught the dog about 2 times a year. So did the dog forget ? Mess up and think trap was gone ? Smell really old or faint ? Point is = it got caught. So any think can be caught. Just may take a LONG time ! LoL!

Re: Where’d they go [Re: steeltraps] #7875367
05/30/23 11:27 PM
05/30/23 11:27 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by steeltraps
Craig O’Gorman talked about = having a trap line dog. That was on line 365 with him. He ran 200 traps some days. That being said. The dog was exposed to traps 365. But he caught the dog about 2 times a year. So did the dog forget ? Mess up and think trap was gone ? Smell really old or faint ? Point is = it got caught. So any think can be caught. Just may take a LONG time ! LoL!

Yes I could believe that. I would be curious what kind of sets it would get caught in. I could see an aged blind set being deadly even to the smartest dog. Then maybe a scent post with good pee as the dog would be exposed to a lot of natural ones regularly.

Re: Where’d they go [Re: steeltraps] #7875369
05/30/23 11:33 PM
05/30/23 11:33 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Learned and taught behavior in coyotes often save them from being caught. Smart females. Give birth to and teach the Female pups she raises to be = Smart Females. IF they live. Plus 1 on they know your smell ! Start the game off right. Make EVERY set like you are going after a = 8 year old 3 toed female and you will have less problems. Have a plan. Catch them BEFORE they know you are after them. IF you can

Country or city the smartest of the bunch in any species is mama. They got babies to care for.

But yes, definitely a learned behavior. More often than not when targeting denned canines I'll snag mama first or dead last if at all. And it's Katy bar the door if pups are the first caught.

[Linked Image]
Re: Where’d they go [Re: Yes sir] #7875377
05/31/23 12:07 AM
05/31/23 12:07 AM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Yea Sir. I dont think that sets may matter. My guess would be Flat Sets. According to biologists. Depending on = humidity heat and so on. Human scent molecules dissolve in 24 to 36 hrs depending. SO after 2 days all human scent is gone ? So if we put = lure or urine on something like wood or q tip or sheeps wool smell is their for a while? So with undisturbed ground. Nothing unnatural to a coyote AKA a dirt hole. I believe IF natural on day or night 3. Human scent is no more So good flat set. Good lite amount of lure? Catches that old female

Re: Where’d they go [Re: Wanna Be] #7875466
05/31/23 07:51 AM
05/31/23 07:51 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I’ve learned that lure/bait last a very very long time. Deer will visit a set that is 3 weeks old and sat through inches of rain. If they can still smell it then I’m sure a coyote can. The issue with deer is they check out everything, they have no preference, lol!!

Re: Where’d they go [Re: Wanna Be] #7875480
05/31/23 08:02 AM
05/31/23 08:02 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
For some, truly understanding how long lure and a blended bait can last may take manyyyyyyyyyy years to sink into to their way of thinking.

Once you figure that out and leave behind the " more lure is better train of thought ", the better success they will begin having. For trapping non pressured areas and YOY animals it is generally an easy peezy routine. Run and gun so to speak.

Get beyond that time of year and circumstances you will start getting an education that will challenge your soul and skill at times.

Re: Where’d they go [Re: Yes sir] #7875481
05/31/23 08:03 AM
05/31/23 08:03 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Yes sir

Yes I could believe that. I would be curious what kind of sets it would get caught in. I could see an aged blind set being deadly even to the smartest dog. Then maybe a scent post with good pee as the dog would be exposed to a lot of natural ones regularly.

O'Gorman popularizer the mafia set)two trap trail set) We wouldn't be surprised if that was the set that caught the dog. There really isn't a anything to give that set away unless you're blending is horrible.

Last edited by SNIPERBBB; 05/31/23 08:03 AM.
Re: Where’d they go [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7875517
05/31/23 08:55 AM
05/31/23 08:55 AM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Sniperbbb. I just think. The point is = after = X amount of days. Dog doesnt smell human. People talk about smelling the steel ? As in the coyote smells the trap? Depends on where you are I say ! I have seen USDA government trappera catch = bad sheep killers that where = female and OLD with rusty traps. The point? Rust and Steel buried in the West. Is just something a coyote expected to smell. Now somewhere else ? May be no.

Re: Where’d they go [Re: Wanna Be] #7875521
05/31/23 09:09 AM
05/31/23 09:09 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I agree Chris with the old rusty steel traps. Seen it and have done it just to prove that fact. You can get away with some things in some areas or parts of the country where circumstances can be totally different in another situation and part of the country.

More dry conditions seem to allow you to get away with rusty traps while another area you better have your A game equipment ready.

Much, if not all of the animal reactions I do believe are the result of single element or many such as human frequency presence / trapping / hunting / calling pressure in those areas.

There can be some variables going on at the same time. And some you may not be aware of also.

Pressure and loss of a once perceived safe zone will cause boot scooting all the time.

Re: Where’d they go [Re: Wanna Be] #7875550
05/31/23 10:17 AM
05/31/23 10:17 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I’ve learned that lure/bait last a very very long time. Deer will visit a set that is 3 weeks old and sat through inches of rain. If they can still smell it then I’m sure a coyote can. The issue with deer is they check out everything, they have no preference, lol!!

Last fall I had a few flat sets with rock backings along some trails, lure in a little hole under the rock. Rolled the rocks back this spring so the mower wouldn't hit them this summer mowing the trails. Last week there was a hole dug up where the lure was from last fall. 6+ months later, something smelled that spot and dug it up.

Here's the recent digging.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by k snow; 05/31/23 10:19 AM.
Re: Where’d they go [Re: Wanna Be] #7875566
05/31/23 10:41 AM
05/31/23 10:41 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Just helps to drive home the point that a formulated product will stay bonded with odor emission for quite some time. The amount used and its placement with regards to weather exposure help determine how long it will continue to have odor potential.

Re: Where’d they go [Re: Wanna Be] #7875578
05/31/23 11:01 AM
05/31/23 11:01 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
No shortage of rusty metal in the east as you know, so smelling rust isn't an issue. It's an issue for your traps longevity and functionality to be sure.

Coyote trapping is a grand chess game alnd the rules may change on a whim.

Re: Where’d they go [Re: steeltraps] #7875585
05/31/23 11:22 AM
05/31/23 11:22 AM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska

I'm a firm believer in being able to condition a coyote to your smell to your advantage, if you have the time. I've pre-dug a lot of trap beds and put in anchors a week or two before setting a trap to stay ahead of ground freezing conditions. While I'm doing this my trap line dog is with me and putting his scent out as well. The coyotes smell you and your dogs' presence, go about their business checking out your digging activity, often marking them with urine or scat, with no harm done. Upon returning to set a trap, if you smell or see the bed area has been marked, more than likely you'll have them with no issues.

Re: Where’d they go [Re: Wanna Be] #7875710
05/31/23 03:57 PM
05/31/23 03:57 PM
E. Oregon
S
super cub Offline
trapper
super cub  Offline
trapper
S

E. Oregon
Those pups should be big enough to answer a long howl from you. Try it real early in the morning or right at dark. The adults should be away from the den. If the adults are at the den they will shut the pups up quick.
A long howl or better yet a siren works good to locate the den
Also look for and listen for birds, they will be around to pick up any scraps and puppy poop

Last edited by super cub; 05/31/23 04:00 PM. Reason: Needed to add
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91