No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Osky, about that rod... #7937000
08/25/23 09:52 PM
08/25/23 09:52 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
In another thread you asked about that special St. Croix spinning rod. I loved it. Best spinning rod I ever fished with. I'm kind of embarrassed to report on it though.

Two years ago, I took it on a weeklong trip to Saskatchewan with my son, brother, and nephew. Caught pike up to 37 inches. The rod was so light, but had plenty of backbone to muscle a big fish.

You may notice that I'm speaking of the rod in past tense. That's because on the fourth day it was lost. And lost in a remarkable and stupid way.

So I catch this pike, not a whopper but decent sized, and bring it up to the side of the boat. It's flopping those wicked teeth around, the way pike do, and I can see I'm going to need the pliers--which are sitting on the seat in front of me. I stretch, holding the rod in my left hand, but can't quite reach the pliers.

The pike on the end of my line has quieted down, so I set the rod down for one second, grab the pliers, then hear a sound behind me and look just in time to see the rod and reel go flying out of the boat!

I leap out of my seat, but too late. The last I see of that rod it's being towed into the depths of the lake, just out of my reach.

Given the cost of the rod and reel, I probably should have jumped into the lake after them, but by the time I thought of it, the rod was gone. We dragged the water with lures hoping to snag the line or rod, but never saw a sign of the fish or the rod.

Thank you, but I'm afraid that rod is no longer in my possession.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: James] #7937040
08/25/23 10:40 PM
08/25/23 10:40 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Holy moley James now that’s a tale! Of course it couldn’t happen on an older back up rod.
Had the spine for big pike tho you say, and still good feel for walleyes maybe?

I might know where they can be had again and this time I’m going to grab one for myself too, just let me know.
Thanks for the report!

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: Osky] #7937061
08/25/23 11:09 PM
08/25/23 11:09 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
Originally Posted by Osky
Holy moley James now that’s a tale! Of course it couldn’t happen on an older back up rod.

I might know where they can be had again and this time I’m going to grab one for myself too, just let me know.
Thanks for the report!

Osky

Wait just a minute! Oh, so you need to KNOW SOMEONE to get these special rods? I see how it is! I have a very short Fenwick that I am in love with and if I ever lost it I do believe I would cry.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: 160user] #7937091
08/26/23 12:21 AM
08/26/23 12:21 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by 160user

Thanks for the report!

Osky

Wait just a minute! Oh, so you need to KNOW SOMEONE to get these special rods? I see how it is! I have a very short Fenwick that I am in love with and if I ever lost it I do believe I would cry.

Good humor, oh yeah, I’m “SOMEBODY” alright, not. Actually Fenwick carried me I think starting back around 80 or so. Then they transitioned to nearly all one piece rods and my getting on and off planes every 4-5 days with rod tubes I needed them short holding two pice rods for convenience. Now I’m with others.
Now James, well HE is somebody.

Osky

Edit to add Fenwick was second to none at one time. Great rods. I have a Fenwick spinning rod, 2 piece spinning at 10’6” I believe that is nothing but fun on smallmouth and even walleyes. Love it.

Last edited by Osky; 08/26/23 12:25 AM.

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: James] #7937146
08/26/23 07:16 AM
08/26/23 07:16 AM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
That's better than my story. Wading a local river last year. Came back to the truck with fish on the stringer. Layed everything down to pull the cooler out of the truck for putting in the fish. Put everything back in the truck (or so I thought).

Get ready to go fishing the next morning, can't find my St Croix rod. Then I remember I must have left it on the ground when pulling out the cooler. Drive right back to where I parked and gone. Some nice person picked it up and now has one of my favorite spinning rods. That one had tungsten carbide guides. They new one has ceramic,

Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: James] #7937180
08/26/23 08:03 AM
08/26/23 08:03 AM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
Great story James, unfortunate, but many of us have been in that boat, so to speak. The St Croix Rod Company and factory is about 2 1/2 hours NE of me. I get to Park Falls once or twice a year. I have and use a number of their rods. Hope you can Crack for another one someday.
I also have a cherished Fenwick from 40 years ago now (when Fenwick was a reputable company and made very good rods).

Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: James] #7937225
08/26/23 09:06 AM
08/26/23 09:06 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Keep in mind that those St. Croix rods have a serial number I’m the blank just ahead of the handle, if you lose or break the upper half that number is needed to get a replacement end.

Osky

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: James] #7937234
08/26/23 09:19 AM
08/26/23 09:19 AM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
In recent times, St Croix Rod does not fix rods or replace sections or parts. They will accept your broken rod and offer you a new rod at a significant discount. An example was last year, I took the lower half of a MH rod that the upper half was broken in a tailgate. They would not sell me a matching upper half, but sold me a new rod (valued at about $160) for $58.

Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: Osky] #7937764
08/27/23 06:35 AM
08/27/23 06:35 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Keep in mind that those St. Croix rods have a serial number I’m the blank just ahead of the handle, if you lose or break the upper half that number is needed to get a replacement end.

Osky

Afraid that doesn't help me, as that pike took possession of every last bit of that rod, including the serial number.

I thought about writing my tale of woe in an email to St. Croix, to see if they might offer a discounted replacement, but never did get around to it. Now, after our move to Idaho, I doubt I could find the receipt. You bet, if you know another good deal on one, I'd be interested.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: James] #7937785
08/27/23 07:25 AM
08/27/23 07:25 AM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
That’s funny I’ve dropped a couple in taking bass off over the years . Just gives me an excuse to go buy more.

Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: James] #7937795
08/27/23 07:37 AM
08/27/23 07:37 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
James it beats the heck out of the power car window ecenario.
I have a crazy schedule coming up here and in the far north to close the seasons but send me a pm with what rod that was and I’ll get the ball rolling on it. I don’t recall the specifics on yours but it sounds like the one I’d be wanting as well. Thanks.

Osky

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: James] #7937856
08/27/23 09:20 AM
08/27/23 09:20 AM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
I've bought a couple of their rods while in Park Falls over the years. Usually just buy their B rods that come with a one year warranty. Good rods.

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: James] #7938394
08/27/23 09:55 PM
08/27/23 09:55 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
On that trip I took three seven-foot three-piece St. Croix rods, the Trek, which was lost as I described. The moderate-priced Tidemaster lost its tip due to my son's carelessness.

I was left using the low-end St. Croix rod, which I'd taken as a backup. It was okay, but not the equal of the Trek in light weight and action. It didn't break on some big pike.

The Trek is quite a rod. I didn't think that much of it bare, but put a reel on it and a quarter-ounce or larger lure, and it comes alive. The only spinning rods I've fished with that was in its class are my Loomis lightweight rods. Loomis hasn't updated its spinning rods, in terms of design and materials, in at least twenty years. But they're still great rods.

I'd like to get another Trek.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: James] #7938445
08/27/23 11:08 PM
08/27/23 11:08 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Buy one, they are still for sale.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: James] #7939549
08/29/23 02:02 PM
08/29/23 02:02 PM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
I looked up the St Croix Avid - Trek ; fishing rod because I wasn't familiar with it. Very nice rod, "what a bite" to lose one over the side like you did. I hope you can cobble on to another one somehow.
I have five St Croix rods that make fishing more enjoyable. FWIW, my Ugly Stiks work well too..

Re: Osky, about that rod... [Re: James] #7939585
08/29/23 03:27 PM
08/29/23 03:27 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by James

Osky

Afraid that doesn't help me, as that pike took possession of every last bit of that rod, including the serial number.

I thought about writing my tale of woe in an email to St. Croix, to see if they might offer a discounted replacement, but never did get around to it. Now, after our move to Idaho, I doubt I could find the receipt. You bet, if you know another good deal on one, I'd be interested.

Jim

Don’t feel to bad it’s part of the game

Back when I was a kid I had a friend and we would spend almost every day fishing for carp at the dam, the day after his birthday he was eager to try out the new rod and reel he got, long about mid day we were sitting around with the rods propped on an old log and were sitting back about ten feet in the shade when his line twitched a couple of time so he got up to check and his rod literally flew through the air and disappeared into the river just as he was reacting for it

Don’t know what took off with it but it disappeared in seconds

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread