Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Book idea #7940474
08/30/23 04:34 PM
08/30/23 04:34 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline OP
trapper
loosegoose  Offline OP
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
So I've been rolling around this idea in my head......I only trap on my weekends. I work 4 day weeks, so i set on Thursday after work, and get in three checks before I pull, but I could do what I do now if I worked 5 day weeks, too. I've developed somewhat of a system in how I do it, as far as what types of sets I make, places I trap, realistic expectations about what I can catch as far as species and numbers, etc etc. Now, I have several books on trapping, all very helpful. And Ive seen several books about longlining trapping, and even have a book about trapping while working a full time job, but it's about checking before/after work. What I haven't seen, though, is a book about trapping on the weekends. So, I have an idea, about writing a book about being a weekend trapper.

I think one thing that holds some otherwise outdoors-loving people from trapping is the time commitment. Trapping in any form is a multiple day commitment. You can't trap for just one day, unlike hunting or fishing. So, I had this thought, that book about being able to trap on the weekends, I think it could help more folks get into trapping-folks that have thought about it, who aren't interested in making a big financial or time investment, but still want to expand their outdoors activities and catch a few critters. So what are everyone's thoughts-does this seem like a book worth writing? Would it be of value to the outdoors community?

Re: Book idea [Re: loosegoose] #7940533
08/30/23 06:14 PM
08/30/23 06:14 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
I would say yes.

Mac

Re: Book idea [Re: loosegoose] #7940564
08/30/23 06:36 PM
08/30/23 06:36 PM
Idaho / Virginia
Ryan Phoenix Offline
trapper
Ryan Phoenix  Offline
trapper

Idaho / Virginia
I would also say yes. I agree that the time commitment is what holds a lot of people back from trapping, especially in states where there are 24hr checks. Most of my trapping has been done in Idaho, which is a 72hr check, so I used to check on Saturdays and Sundays, to be within the trap check regs, and then check on Wednesdays. That was my standard for busy weeks. Seems a little odd to go back-to-back on Sat/Sun, but that was what kept me within the 72hr check regulation (Wed-Sat, Sun-Wed). When I had more time, it would be more like a 48hr check when possible. Now I'm in Virginia, trying to find a way to trap while balancing an even heavier work schedule, and around here it's a 24hr trap check unless you have completely submerged bodygrip traps, in which case it becomes 72hrs. So I'm thinking about running a 100% completely submerged bodygrip line until I have more time to check traps.

Your situation on three trap checks and pulling, re-setting and doing it all over again for the weekends, sounds like you're doing what you have to do, and I think a lot of people could benefit from how you're doing it. Are you completely pulling traps? Or are you simply springing footholds/conis and collapsing snares but keeping them in place until the following weekend when you reset?

Idaho Trappers Association
Intermountain Fur Harvesters
Montana Trappers Association
Alaska Trappers Association
Virginia Trappers Association
NTA
Re: Book idea [Re: loosegoose] #7940636
08/30/23 08:10 PM
08/30/23 08:10 PM
Somerset Pennsylvania
F
FarmerDan Offline
trapper
FarmerDan  Offline
trapper
F

Somerset Pennsylvania
Wish I had a book like that right now. I’m actually in kinda the opposite situation. I work and have an apartment out of town so hopefully I’ll be checking traps for 4 or 5 times depend on the week. I have the opportunity to trap in two states at once so I think I’m going to put in the extra work for the experience. Plan is to run a dp coon line in one state and then a small coyote line in another. I work in the woods every day so I’ve got the coyotes pretty well figure out in this area and can focus on a few key locations with lots of sign. Going to have to skip a few locations that I normally would set.

My biggest problem, at least on the coyote line is that I will more then likely have to pull every week because I’m going to be on public ground and don’t want to risk getting traps stolen to much.

Re: Book idea [Re: loosegoose] #7940716
08/30/23 09:09 PM
08/30/23 09:09 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 44
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 44
To me, any time that you can enlighten folks on a way of doing something that they are unaware of warrants education. Keep us in the loop.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Book idea [Re: loosegoose] #7940738
08/30/23 09:32 PM
08/30/23 09:32 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
Definitely go for it. Necessary info.

Re: Book idea [Re: loosegoose] #7942920
09/03/23 06:21 AM
09/03/23 06:21 AM
Wisconsin
G
Green Bay Offline
trapper
Green Bay  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
All for it but there are things to consider. I have been working on a book for over a year and a half. I am down to waiting on the artist to finish the cover then it is done. So here are my thoughts take them with a grain of salt. How big is your audience going to be? My book deals with finding fishing lures something all 30 million anglers in the US plus a host of other people would be interested in. Meanwhile there are 176,000 trappers. How many of them would buy the book? Is your system complicated enough to warrant a book or could it be covered in an article? Are you planning on self publishing or getting it published by an established house? I don't mean to discourage you but make sure you go in with your eyes wide open.

Author of The Lure Hunter: A Guide to Finding Fishing Lures
Re: Book idea [Re: loosegoose] #7944601
09/05/23 02:12 PM
09/05/23 02:12 PM
Smithsburg, MD
J.C. Offline
trapper
J.C.  Offline
trapper

Smithsburg, MD
As stated above, consider your audience. I am finding as I write my book I am going to keep it modest and manage my expectations as well. I am writing a piece on the Native Americans of Washington County, MD. MAYBE someone from Maryland will be interested.

To a person ignorant of nature, his country stroll is a walk through a gallery filled with wonderful works of art with their faces turned to the wall
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91