No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Pressure cooker questions #7958644
09/26/23 09:35 AM
09/26/23 09:35 AM
mo.
N
nate Offline OP
trapper
nate  Offline OP
trapper
N

mo.
I've never been around one or used one, but would love to learn how, can anyone give me any insight on does and don'ts, brands to get are some safer than others? I always have heard there dangerous so never did try n figure them out.

Re: Pressure cooker questions [Re: nate] #7958646
09/26/23 09:39 AM
09/26/23 09:39 AM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Instant Pot. :-)

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Pressure cooker questions [Re: nate] #7958667
09/26/23 10:20 AM
09/26/23 10:20 AM
missouri
S
salemtrapper Offline
trapper
salemtrapper  Offline
trapper
S

missouri
Nate insta pot this day and age, I don't have one my step mom does and loves it. I am old school I have a pot that I do canning with and a smaller one I do roast in, I still just the manual jiggler on mine. But if I was to go into it now I would get an insta pot. They aren't dangerous if you use common sense. And from what I been around the inta pot safer I believe but like any other just stay away from the spout that shoots the steam and pressure. Just make sure you let the pressure die down before you open. The one I have you can't open until the pressure is down, or you pull the jiggler to let the pressure out

Re: Pressure cooker questions [Re: nate] #7958670
09/26/23 10:21 AM
09/26/23 10:21 AM
Iowa
P
Pop Offline
trapper
Pop  Offline
trapper
P

Iowa
Old time pressure cookers could be dangerous. They had several knobs and locks to secure the lid. If things weren't lined up and tightened correctly, there could be an explosion when the pressure got high enough. Modern cookers have a top that twists on. There is only one way to close the lid. If you don't get it right, it won't build pressure so they are safer. I use mine when I butcher my old laying hens or for pressure canning meat. They do a good job.

Some people cook most everything in a PC. Those that use them seem to like them.

Re: Pressure cooker questions [Re: nate] #7958673
09/26/23 10:25 AM
09/26/23 10:25 AM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
… x2 on instapot

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Pressure cooker questions [Re: nate] #7958678
09/26/23 10:38 AM
09/26/23 10:38 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by nate
I've never been around one or used one, but would love to learn how, can anyone give me any insight on does and don'ts, brands to get are some safer than others? I always have heard there dangerous so never did try n figure them out.

there is the instapot , but it has it's issues , it does make things simple but I have had timer and pressure sensor issues mine is in the junk pile , used it for several years but the electronics failed and I had to watch it as close as the stove top one which defeated much of it's purpose

there are pressure canners and pressure cookers , a canner can be used as a cooker but a cooker lacks a gauge typically to be sure you are at your psi or it won't make the 15psi needed some cookers stop at 10 or 12 psi

when we got into pressure cooking I had some canners , but all our friends in home schooling were getting the Fagor Duo we got the 8 quart , I see it looks like they may have gone out of business I see there are other very similar looking models under other names.

this one looks almost identical to the Fagor
https://www.amazon.com/Zavor-Multi-...B07HJ7GVJ5/ref=psdc_289814_t4_B0000Z6JIW

Presto has also been around a long time they have a stainless 8 quart also now
https://www.amazon.com/Presto-8-Quart-Stainless-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B0000Z6JIW/ref=sr_1_10?c=ts&keywords=Pressure%2BCookers&qid=1695737538&s=kitchen&sr=1-10&ts_id=289825&th=1

I prefer stainless but I have some aluminum ones , the stainless doesn't react with acidic sauces although he chromed aluminum probably wouldn't either.

pressure cookers and canners get a bad rap for being now safe but you have to understand how many miss use or abuse them

one of the biggest is people not fully releasing pressure before opening the lid and boom the lid flies off hot steam and water everywhere

others people thermal shock them repeatedly hot pressure vessel dump it in a sink of cold water

the third is people leave them unattended , set the stove to high , step away get distracted and come back to the kitchen and it has been on high for way too long.

they have seals and over pressure safety's that pop out but people neglect things or can just put too much heat in too fast for releases to be effective.

and people are afraid of them they will tell you aunt Mildred had a one explode in 1975 and no one in the family has touched one since yeah and uncle bobby shot himself in 1975 twirling his 1911 on his finger like a cowboy , but we understand he was being an idiot. but not many challenge the idea that aunt Mildred could have done anything wrong while we know uncle Bobby was an idiot.

no I don't have an aunt Mildred , I do have an uncle bobby and he had his moments of less than genius ideas must come with being the youngest of 12 kids , he never shot himself or anyone else and cancer got him at 79.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Pressure cooker questions [Re: nate] #7958680
09/26/23 10:43 AM
09/26/23 10:43 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
you are also not stuck with the instapot brand as the only option several companies make electric pressure cookers with timers and multiple settings

maybe someone else has longer lasting electronics or maybe 7 years of regular use is all any household electronic is good for any more come to think about that's about all the longer the microwave lasted also and 2 refrigerators and 2 washing machines and the drier only made it 9.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Pressure cooker questions [Re: nate] #7958681
09/26/23 10:44 AM
09/26/23 10:44 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
There is a difference between pressure cookers and pressure canners.......size mostly, but principle is the same. They cook fast by elevating pressure and temp inside the cooker using steam. With modern vent systems, they are safe when used as per instructions. Biggest danger is to bypass time it takes for pressure to subside and try to open pot under pressure.

A simple example of process would be to hard boil eggs in a sauce pan, using a heavy, clear, glass lid. Put just enough water in the pan to cover the bottom (say 1/2 inch), then pile in the eggs. Cover the bottom and put a 2nd stack on top. Run water up to boiling, and then some, until steam pressure is enough to life the lid. Eggs on top that are not even in contact with water will cook as fast as those on the bottom.

Steam is some magic voodoo stuff.

Re: Pressure cooker questions [Re: nate] #7958694
09/26/23 11:07 AM
09/26/23 11:07 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by nate

Depends on your intended use.If you just want to cook in it, the InstaPots are handy and EASY to use.If you want to use it for canning,,you need a pressure Canner.I have both.My Pressure Canners are "Presto" 23 quart Pressure Canners.You can cook in them also .

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Pressure cooker questions [Re: nate] #7958736
09/26/23 01:06 PM
09/26/23 01:06 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I have been using pressure canners for over 50 years. I have had Presto brand for all of those years. Mine does 7 quarts or 10 pints at a time. I also have a smaller Granite brand pressure canner that does 4 quarts or 7 pints. The larger one is used on our glass top stove. The smaller one is used with are open flamed turkey fryer. They all come with good manuals that when read and followed remove a lot of the issues that some have stated.

Bryce

Re: Pressure cooker questions [Re: nate] #7958743
09/26/23 01:16 PM
09/26/23 01:16 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Insta-pots go hand in hand with pellet grills. Can't hurt yourself with them.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Pressure cooker questions [Re: Gary Benson] #7958798
09/26/23 02:31 PM
09/26/23 02:31 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Insta-pots go hand in hand with pellet grills. Can't hurt yourself with them.

They work great for what they are,,but they are not for canning.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Pressure cooker questions [Re: nate] #7958823
09/26/23 03:11 PM
09/26/23 03:11 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
pressure cooker hard boiled eggs are great and so easy to peal

bring up to steam , vent 1 minute , up to pressure for 1 minute turn off the flame wait 3 minutes , release pressure move the eggs to cold water and peal as soon as cool enough to handle

also one of the fastest ways to make good rice 6 minutes under pressure and release

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread