No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7988636
11/07/23 02:16 PM
11/07/23 02:16 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Thanks for the information. I am a life member of the NTA who does not get the magazine. Is there a provision for a member like me to vote?

Just passin through
Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7988641
11/07/23 02:32 PM
11/07/23 02:32 PM
South Dakota
C
ChrisM Offline OP
trapper
ChrisM  Offline OP
trapper
C

South Dakota
Larry, its my understanding that if you don't receive the magazine, you will be mailed a ballot.

Seger's music speaks to a person's heart and soul like few others can.
Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7988645
11/07/23 02:43 PM
11/07/23 02:43 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I have my suspicions but got to ask. Where do these by laws changes originate? Sure looks like a power grab.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7988657
11/07/23 03:05 PM
11/07/23 03:05 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Thanks, I got the cash calendar mailer today.
Our Farm Bureau rules are similar but we can elect from any of our directors for any executive office and there are 24 directors.

Just passin through
Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7988801
11/07/23 06:49 PM
11/07/23 06:49 PM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Got my magazine today. As Jim stated it's usually musical chairs up to President anyway so probably not a big deal. Already saw how those on the outside get treated if they dare even toss their hat in the ring so doubt outsider's are going to run anyway.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7988893
11/07/23 08:40 PM
11/07/23 08:40 PM
South Dakota
C
ChrisM Offline OP
trapper
ChrisM  Offline OP
trapper
C

South Dakota
Jackie, it IS a big deal! There is a difference between no one other than EC veterans wanting to run and a rule prohibiting them from doing so

Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7989995
11/09/23 05:48 AM
11/09/23 05:48 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Got my magazine today and WILL definitely vote

Thanks for the heads up Chris M

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7991911
11/11/23 11:58 AM
11/11/23 11:58 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Originally Posted by ChrisM
Proposed Bylaws Amendment – Your Vote Matters

On page 32 of the November/December issue of the American Trapper, currently hitting mailboxes, there is a ballot for a Proposed Bylaws Amendment. This proposed change concerns the eligibility criteria for the position of NTA President and has raised several important concerns.

The amendment, if adopted, will prohibit anyone who has not previously served on the NTA Executive Council from running for President of the NTA. The rationale given suggests that effective leadership requires institutional knowledge, and to ensure that the Chief Executive Officer of the association has a thorough understanding of the organization.

I have served on the Executive Council since 2000, including six years as NTA President. The suggestion that a newly elected president needs a thorough understanding of the day-to-day operations is simply not true. We have a full-time paid office manager and staff that handle this. In addition, we have paid contractors, including our legal counsel, DNIA, and editor. There are also the six other members of the Executive Council and the entire Board of Directors.

What an effective president does need is an inspiring vision, excellent communication and leadership skills, as well as honesty, integrity, transparency, accountability, and undying dedication.

This proposal is ill-conceived and poorly thought through. Other than the seven current members of the Executive Council, I can think of only twelve individuals, including myself, who would be eligible to run for President. Of those twelve, I don't know a single individual who is interested. They have all done their time. Only four are still on the Board of Directors, and fully half are no longer active in the NTA.

On the flip side, excellent leaders at the state level would be prohibited from running. These are some of our best trapping leaders, doing an excellent job representing and defending trapping at the state level where all the hard work is done. Why would any organization limit the pool of prospective leaders, especially in a small organization like the NTA? Instead, we should aim to expand it. There is no downside to recruiting as many potential leaders as possible. Any member with an interest should be allowed to throw their hat in the ring, lay out their qualifications, vision and ideas and then let the membership choose. I’m puzzled as to how anyone would think that is a bad thing. There is real value in having someone outside the "status quo," without a "that's the way we've always done it" mindset.

The practical result of this change will ensure that anyone on the Executive Council planning to run at the end of the current president's term will run unopposed. This is not the way to get the most qualified applicant. It also prevents members from reviewing various qualifications to choose the best candidate. This proposal will discourage fresh, new, unbiased ideas and perspectives. Instead, we will continue with the same tired progression: State Director to Executive Council to officer to president. This ensures that the "new" president has been groomed into the same old same old.

Perhaps even worse, if adopted, this proposal will create the very real possibility that no one will seek the office. What if none of the small handful of eligible individuals wants to be president? Do we really want our association to be led by someone who doesn't want the job?

This amendment is contrary to the very ideals of our democracy: that we, the people, get to choose our leaders. Our Constitution requires no prior experience to run for public office, even President of the United States. Our founding fathers rejected the idea of career "King" politicians. They recognized the dangers of such a system and trusted the people to determine the most qualified candidate. I trust the NTA membership to do likewise.

The membership alone should determine who leads the NTA, not the Executive Council, the Board of Directors, or some short-sighted bylaw amendment. Under this proposal, men with as much history, respect, knowledge, and experience as Tom Krause would be prohibited from running for President of the NTA if he so desired. Is that the direction we wish to go?

Your involvement is critical in deciding the future direction of our organization. I urge you to participate in the decision-making process.

I'm asking you to help protect the power of the membership. Vote NO on the proposed Bylaw Amendment.

**You will NOT receive a ballot in the mail. YOU MUST cut the actual ballot page from the magazine and mail it into the NTA office for your vote to be counted. Photocopies of the ballot page WILL NOT be counted. **

Ballots must be postmarked by Dec.15

Thank you for the info.

I feel like it was well thought out by those who are in power and know that there is a shift in control on the horizon and theyrw attempting to keep change from happening , (but definitely not a good idea) out as a way to keep " the old boys club" in charge.

If you look at various state associations they have thw same same mentality.

The bottomline is they do not want progress or change. imo. They want.rhinhs to stay the same,regardless of what the general membership wants.

It has to be defeated or the membership and associations affectability and progression will definitely decline. My .02

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7995061
11/15/23 11:00 AM
11/15/23 11:00 AM
South Dakota
C
ChrisM Offline OP
trapper
ChrisM  Offline OP
trapper
C

South Dakota
Everyone should have received their magazine by now.

The ballot is on page 32, you can simply cut out the lower "ballot" portion of the page and mail to the address on the ballot. There's an ad on the back side so you wont lose any part of an article.

I realize most are busy trapping but please take a couple minutes to vote.

Vote NO to protect the membership's ability to choose our leadership

Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7995124
11/15/23 01:38 PM
11/15/23 01:38 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Done and returned. Hope this gets defeated.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: Drifter] #7995194
11/15/23 03:40 PM
11/15/23 03:40 PM
Otsego, MI 66
K
K-zoo Offline
trapper
K-zoo  Offline
trapper
K

Otsego, MI 66
Voted yesterday.

Member NTA, MTPCA, FTA, NRA, MUCC
2 Cor. 5:17
Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7995240
11/15/23 04:48 PM
11/15/23 04:48 PM
South Dakota
C
ChrisM Offline OP
trapper
ChrisM  Offline OP
trapper
C

South Dakota
Drifter, it will be defeated if the members reading this take the time to vote.

I encourage everyone to copy and past my letter to your FB page

Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7995266
11/15/23 05:24 PM
11/15/23 05:24 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by ChrisM
Drifter, it will be defeated if the members reading this take the time to vote.

I encourage everyone to copy and past my letter to your FB page

Well I can't vote, but I can do that at least.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7995314
11/15/23 06:26 PM
11/15/23 06:26 PM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
One reason organizations set stipulations that someone needs to be a current member of the Executive level, is the learning curve on how an association functions or operates can be very detailed. The thought process is, it saves time on moving the group forward with it's initiatives. Elected leaders from outside the organization are prone to making mistakes by not knowing all the policy and procedure and legal restrictions. Not saying that is what is going on with this election.

Praise the Lord and Pass the ammunition.
Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7995342
11/15/23 07:08 PM
11/15/23 07:08 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Coyote Clayton This is Chris's take on it from the inside.

I have served on the Executive Council since 2000, including six years as NTA President. The suggestion that a newly elected president needs a thorough understanding of the day-to-day operations is simply not true. We have a full-time paid office manager and staff that handle this. In addition, we have paid contractors, including our legal counsel, DNIA, and editor.

Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7995465
11/15/23 09:22 PM
11/15/23 09:22 PM
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Elected leaders from outside the organization are prone to making mistakes by not knowing all the policy and procedure and legal restrictions.

I don't think this organization cares about any of that, usually just make up the rules as they go.

Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7995854
11/16/23 11:16 AM
11/16/23 11:16 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Chris M You say that a good leader needs an inspiring vision excellent communication and leadership skills along with honesty integrity accountability and dedication I could not agreed more Without the traits you mention all the prior experience is pointless and worthless .When those that are in charge are making rules; make rules to keep them in charge and keep others from be able to change the rules it is now a private organization running the operation to benefit themselves .That is not within the spirit of the reason the NTA exists And most likely is fraud I have spent years as volunteer with various outdoor relater groups And poor leadership happens all the time But in orders keep the group going in the right direction the rules need to protect the membership from this type of cheating Thee general membership musthave some control over the operation of the group

Last edited by w side rd 151; 11/16/23 01:31 PM.
Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: w side rd 151] #7995860
11/16/23 11:25 AM
11/16/23 11:25 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by w side rd 151
Chris M You say that a god leader needs an inspiring vision excellent communication and leadership skills along with honesty integrity accountability and dedication I could not agreed more Without the traits you mention all the prior experience is pointless and worthless .When those that are in charge are making rules; make rules to keep them in charge and keep others from be able to change the rules it is now a private organization running the operation to benefit themselves .That is not within the spirit of the reason the NTA exists And most likely is fraud I have spent years as volunteer with various outdoor relater groups And poor leadership happens all the time But in orders keep the group going in the right direction the rules need to protect the membership from this type of cheating Thee general membership musthave some control over the operation of the group

The general membership is who will make the final decision as to whether this bylaw amendment will pass. Historically, bylaw amendments receive less than 100 votes from the general membership, which is pretty pitiful, especially when you consider half of those votes probably come from members who are also members of the board of directors. There are nearly 10,000 NTA members which means less than 1% bother to vote.

Defeating this bylaw amendment is easy. All you have to do is send in your ballot, and convince 5 of your trapping buddies to do the same. If 10 members all convince 5 different other members to vote against this measure, it would be soundly defeated.

Last edited by yotetrapper30; 11/16/23 11:26 AM. Reason: Clarification

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7996075
11/16/23 06:57 PM
11/16/23 06:57 PM
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

My problem as ive said before with this whole deal is if they are making this kind of decision's this poorly what other decision's are being made behind the scene's member's will never be aware of. Cause the NTA operates by letting directors know as little as possible and usually most of the director's never give the NTA another thought soon as they get back home from the convention so that's fine with them. Run of the mill member's know even less about what's going on until some little item such as this pop's up their attention for two minutes.

So fine strike this dumb idea down, can't wait to see what's next.

Did anyone ever find out the origin's of this wonderful idea? The lawyer? President? Concerned member? Someone had this idea and passed it along for it to get traction to begin with. Since it's such a great idea I can't believe no one has stepped forward to take credit for it.

Re: Attention NTA Member [Re: ChrisM] #7996169
11/16/23 08:56 PM
11/16/23 08:56 PM
NY
T
trappermac NY Offline
trapper
trappermac NY  Offline
trapper
T

NY
Jtrapper...your negativity (add naseum) does nothing to promote the intent of the OP, that being to strike down a by-law proposal. Everyone knows of your disdain for NTA, maybe start your own thread and whine away. In the meantime, try to stay on point to the original intent of the thread. If anyone has an issue with NTA right now it's Angela, but she has stayed on point with the intent despite her current status. I commend her for this. Your posts are all about you, so stand down because you're boring us.

Get your vote in members....stop this foolish proposal!

Member NYSTA, NTA, FBU, ECTA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread