No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Game Warden ?? CAN/US #7994228
11/14/23 10:00 AM
11/14/23 10:00 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline OP
trapper
Trapset  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
I usually have positive interactions with our local wardens. On the contrary, I have some buddy’s in Canada who get checked regularly while moose hunting and even fishing. They get checked by the same couple wardens and are asked the same questions several times and even separated at times. I had a group of duck hunting buddies in the states that say this has happened to them while duck hunting. Same questions over and over while separated. Both cases are during prime hunting/fishing hours and on the moose deal, several times in same season.

My question is, does anyone know how long you have to stand there being interrogated? When/can this turn into impending your right to hunt/fish?

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994234
11/14/23 10:08 AM
11/14/23 10:08 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

[Linked Image]

Stop times can vary widely. There is no set time limit.

If the officer can articulate reasonable suspicion of a crime then a lengthier time would be warranted...

Btw...this is referring to a traffic stop, but GW conpliance checks will fall into this broader category...

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 11/14/23 10:10 AM.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994237
11/14/23 10:13 AM
11/14/23 10:13 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
They're trying to trip you up , multiple questions to see if there's a difference in answers, even slightly, and you're separated to see if there's any collusion with fellow hunters, cause everyone is guilty!, if only they look hard enough.....

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994238
11/14/23 10:14 AM
11/14/23 10:14 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I found that if you talk endlessly about nothing you will only have that issue ounce, the next time they will wave and drive by unless they have serious business. That was from my younger days now it’s just good chat time and catching up.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994239
11/14/23 10:15 AM
11/14/23 10:15 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I had some buddies that were ice fishing on some back slough on the Mississippi. The warden stop and checked them 3 days In row. On the third check one of the guys said you check us tomorrow and there will be 4 of us leaving and you won't be the one leaving. Never saw him again.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994251
11/14/23 10:32 AM
11/14/23 10:32 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Darrel always stops to chat when I see him in the Bush.
Get along great with all the Game wardens,always have.
Even got a couple tickets over the years,no biggie,they have a job to do-same as a cop giving you a speeding ticket.
One warden here had a bad reputation as to going out of his way to catch miscreants.
One day I seen him up north at the end of the road system with his skidoo,a sleigh and about 6 5 gallon gas cans and some overnight equipment.
I asked him where he was going,he said he heard some guys from Quebec were illegally using some fly in outpost camps on several remote lakes and fishing.
From where he was he had about a 70 mile skidoo trek thru the bush.I later read about the bust-he caught them all by himself,lol
That same warden helped me get my first RTL.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: The Beav] #7994263
11/14/23 10:50 AM
11/14/23 10:50 AM
Wisconsin
M
Mad Scientist Offline
trapper
Mad Scientist  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by The Beav
I had some buddies that were ice fishing on some back slough on the Mississippi. The warden stop and checked them 3 days In row. On the third check one of the guys said you check us tomorrow and there will be 4 of us leaving and you won't be the one leaving. Never saw him again.

Yeah we were on the Mississippi backwaters one time and got drilled by a warden after he sat undetected 40 yards away for a half hour watching us eat lunch.This was my buddies first time out deer hunting for the year and the warden asked him 5 times how many deer he shot this season-unbelievable I think he’s the head warden educator now.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Law Dog] #7994268
11/14/23 10:54 AM
11/14/23 10:54 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline OP
trapper
Trapset  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Thanks SW.

gcs,
Originally Posted by gcs
They're trying to trip you up , multiple questions to see if there's a difference in answers, even slightly, and you're separated to see if there's any collusion with fellow hunters, cause everyone is guilty!, if only they look hard enough.....

I know what they are doing, just wondering how long they can legally do it.

LW
Originally Posted by Law Dog
I found that if you talk endlessly about nothing you will only have that issue ounce, the next time they will wave and drive by unless they have serious business. That was from my younger days now it’s just good chat time and catching up.

That was my go to also!

It just seems like standing there wasting the last hour of shooting/fishing light answering the same questions is wrong. Especially if the probable cause was to check license and that part is done. You should be able to say "well, we're going to get back at it, have a good day" and walk away.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994297
11/14/23 11:35 AM
11/14/23 11:35 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Why not ask for your license back and say your done answering questions?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: danny clifton] #7994300
11/14/23 11:40 AM
11/14/23 11:40 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline OP
trapper
Trapset  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by danny clifton

Yup, that’s the question. Why not? What can happen? When is it legal to walk away.

I know our regs say it is unlawful not to show your license when asked by an officer, but doesn’t say how long you have to hang around after.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994301
11/14/23 11:41 AM
11/14/23 11:41 AM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
It sounds like I may be in the minority but I have NEVER had a negative experience with a CO. They have all been polite and doing the job they are being paid to do. I did have one scare the snot out of me in the dark one time out on the ice but I understand why he did it.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994306
11/14/23 11:45 AM
11/14/23 11:45 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline OP
trapper
Trapset  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
That’s largely been my experience too.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994309
11/14/23 11:46 AM
11/14/23 11:46 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Trapset
That’s largely been my experience too.

Same here.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994317
11/14/23 11:56 AM
11/14/23 11:56 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Trapset
Originally Posted by danny clifton

Yup, that’s the question. Why not? What can happen? When is it legal to walk away.

I know our regs say it is unlawful not to show your license when asked by an officer, but doesn’t say how long you have to hang around after.

You don't have to be an arse to a GW, but you also don't have to stand there (after the initial compliance check) and chat unless the GW has suspicion of a violation. Simply ask him if he is investigating a violation. If he says no...then just advise him/her that you'd like to go back hunting.

Someone being a rude arse to me, for no reason, would almost guarantee a return visit and/or a closer look at the area. If I'm not rude to the sportsman then the sportsman shouldn't be rude to me. I always tried to treat people like I would want to be treated.

The person that said to me what Danny Clifton says above always flipped a switch for me...and made me wonder wth!!

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 11/14/23 12:13 PM.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Boco] #7994324
11/14/23 12:11 PM
11/14/23 12:11 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Boco
Even got a couple tickets over the years,no biggie,they have a job to do-same as a cop giving you a speeding ticket.
One warden here had a bad reputation as to going out of his way to catch miscreants.
One day I seen him up north at the end of the road system with his skidoo,a sleigh and about 6 5 gallon gas cans and some overnight equipment.
I asked him where he was going,he said he heard some guys from Quebec were illegally using some fly in outpost camps on several remote lakes and fishing.
From where he was he had about a 70 mile skidoo trek thru the bush.I later read about the bust-he caught them all by himself,lol

Thanks Boco. It's always good to hear of sportsmen's cooperation and support for our GWs.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7994334
11/14/23 12:23 PM
11/14/23 12:23 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline OP
trapper
Trapset  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Boco

Thanks Boco. It's always good to hear of sportsmen's cooperation and support for our GWs.

Once again, my over all experience is positive with CO's, and I've had a lot of interaction with them. But this deal in Canada year after year, same wardens, no tickets. Just seems like harassment to me.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994341
11/14/23 12:32 PM
11/14/23 12:32 PM
Ar
G
gregh Offline
trapper
gregh  Offline
trapper
G

Ar
Just have one question. How can a game warden just walk up to you while hunting and ask to see your license. I have no problem with it but don't he have to have a probable cause to stop you. A cop can not just stop you for driving down the road.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994350
11/14/23 12:41 PM
11/14/23 12:41 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
If they took the money out of it, they wouldn't even do it .

Looking to right tickets, job justification.

Call them to put a wounded elk/deer down they will look into it.

Just my Montana experience's with them laugh

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: gregh] #7994356
11/14/23 12:45 PM
11/14/23 12:45 PM
Missouri
O
Osagian Offline
trapper
Osagian  Offline
trapper
O

Missouri
Originally Posted by gregh
Just have one question. How can a game warden just walk up to you while hunting and ask to see your license. I have no problem with it but don't he have to have a probable cause to stop you. A cop can not just stop you for driving down the road.

Game Wardens are different. Regular law enforcement needs reasonable suspicion or probable cause to interact with you. Game wardens do not. They can check for compliance anytime. 'Check you creel' is the legal verbiage they use.
Read your states game laws, you give your 'implied consent' when you voluntarily purchase a hunting or fishing license. If you're engaged in hunting or fishing activities, they can check your creel at any time.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: beartooth trapr] #7994358
11/14/23 12:48 PM
11/14/23 12:48 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by beartooth trapr
If they took the money out of it, they wouldn't even do it .

Looking to right tickets, job justification.

Call them to put a wounded elk/deer down they will look into it.

Just my Montana experience's with them laugh

This^^^ is not the case in Georgia. ALL fines goes to county in which the citation was issued. The state gets NONE of the $$. Must be different in Montana. Here in Georgia, ALL state officers turn all citations in to the county courts where they were wrote for disposition. That county sets the fines and collects all the money.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread