Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Holes #8002023
11/23/23 07:21 PM
11/23/23 07:21 PM
Kansas
N
Nick27 Offline OP
trapper
Nick27  Offline OP
trapper
N

Kansas
At what point in the skinning- fleshing- washing - stretching- tanning would I sew uh oh holes in my hide? (First time trapper and first hide)

Re: Holes [Re: Nick27] #8002163
11/23/23 10:16 PM
11/23/23 10:16 PM
Up a creek MT
jnsff69 Offline
trapper
jnsff69  Offline
trapper

Up a creek MT
I prefer to sew after fleshing before washing so the hole does not get bigger.
Usually only sew holes bigger than a .22 cal.

Ya can't miss fur if yur traps are out somewhere.
Or so I've been told.
Re: Holes [Re: Nick27] #8002893
11/24/23 10:07 PM
11/24/23 10:07 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If you are going to sell the raw hide sew it just before you put it on the board after fleshing and cleanup.
If you are tanning it,do the same but you dont have to be as fussy with the sew job.You just want it to hold together thru the pickleing and tanning.This will keep the hole from getting bigger.It will open up when you are finishing the leather side when sanding off any bloom,but that doesnt matter because you will be going over the skin after it is finished tanning and cutting out all damages(like your sewed hole,clips in fur etc) and repairing before blocking.This will keep your repairs to a minimum.
A bigger hole left unsewn thru the tanning process will mean a much bigger repair(and resulting loss of sq inches)before blocking.This does not apply to small holes(size of 22 bullet) which can be left to repair when blocking.

Last edited by Boco; 11/24/23 10:09 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread