No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016771
12/10/23 01:55 AM
12/10/23 01:55 AM
Alabama
W
WSD Trapper Offline
trapper
WSD Trapper  Offline
trapper
W

Alabama
You mentioned that you aren't a fan of scopes and usually shoot iron sights. Scopes are like iron sights in that you have to look thru it exactly the same way everytime. Make sure you have a full, clear sight picture. No fuzzy black ring around the edges. Also if you are having to adjust your head position to find the scope or get a full, clear picture it will cause the problems you describe. It is a common problem that I see when trying to teach someone to use a scope. The various dot, holographic,reflex type sights eliminate this problem. With them if you can see the dot or whatever you should hit where it is at. Traditional scopes aren't that way. You have to look straight thru them. If the sight picture seems to be floating around or it has fuzzy edges then adjust the scope position, not your natural head position. Sometimes trying to figure out why one won't hold zero will make you pull yout hair out.

Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016772
12/10/23 02:03 AM
12/10/23 02:03 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
[Linked Image]
Stupid question but you are getting proper scope alignment right ?

Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016774
12/10/23 02:14 AM
12/10/23 02:14 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Also if you prefer iorns but don't like scopes look into LPVO's basically just lower powered, kinda like how people used to do with pistol scopes a while back. Once you position them right as soon as you shoulder you gun and open you eyes it's like you looking down a hall way with aiming points .Nicer then iorns but not as finicky or big as actual full size scopes. From you lat posts a while back a 1-4 or 1-6 would probably be great for you.
You can also get most of them with an illuminated option and all that is is your reticle is lit up which for snap shooting or low light it really good especially on lower settings
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
smile

Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: Wolfdog91] #8016775
12/10/23 02:28 AM
12/10/23 02:28 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline OP
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Chuck the lead sled, use a different scope, that you know for a fact hold zero. Double check all connection points .

Here's a tip I've learned. Site in , take you gun put in in the back seat and drive around a good bit..back roads are better. Take it back out and shoot the same target. If it's a different point of impact it's a wast of time and money ,chuck it and get a new one.

Could also just be some really crappy ammo. You got a good cheek weld ? Because if you don't on a scope it will cause that

Chuck the lead sled? As in get rid of it?

Using a different scope definitely crossed my mind but it just makes more sense to check it using the iron sights than to take a good scope off another gun then have to resight that one in again too.

Ammo is factory Federal 150 grain.

No idea what a cheek weld is.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016776
12/10/23 02:30 AM
12/10/23 02:30 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Oakland, MS
Explain what you're calling "scope alignment" wolfie. I don't like scopes, in general, remember? I don't know the terminology, lol.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: Wolfdog91] #8016782
12/10/23 02:49 AM
12/10/23 02:49 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
[Linked Image]
Stupid question but you are getting proper scope alignment right ?

The picture I posted . Top left showing a completely clear scope , no real black from edge to edge shows proper alignment, bottom right where you have like that black shadow real bad around the edges is improper. Really it's the same as iron sites. Seems when people come to me with scope problems 50% of the time it's improper scope alignment. My buddy absolutely hates scopes. Said he could never hit anything till I showed him what it's supposed to look like. Then moved the scope to where he had a nice clear image and now he loves them

Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016783
12/10/23 02:58 AM
12/10/23 02:58 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Chuck the lead sled, use a different scope, that you know for a fact hold zero. Double check all connection points .

Here's a tip I've learned. Site in , take you gun put in in the back seat and drive around a good bit..back roads are better. Take it back out and shoot the same target. If it's a different point of impact it's a wast of time and money ,chuck it and get a new one.

Could also just be some really crappy ammo. You got a good cheek weld ? Because if you don't on a scope it will cause that

Chuck the lead sled? As in get rid of it?

Using a different scope definitely crossed my mind but it just makes more sense to check it using the iron sights than to take a good scope off another gun then have to resight that one in again too.

Ammo is factory Federal 150 grain.

No idea what a cheek weld is.

If your confident with doing a check with iorns definitely go for it.
Personally I have a good scope I use as a floater. If I think I have a scope problems I'll take that one off but the floater on and try it again.

As far as cheek weld , I know you hate videos too but this one is only 2min and explains it pretty good in that time.

But basically it's having firm contact with you cheek to the stock. Not floating or adjusting your head around .
[Linked Image]

If your guns set up right , with the right rings and all yours would be able to get on the gun close your eyes could to ten one you eye and be looking though the scope and have almost a perfect view with little to no head movement

Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016784
12/10/23 03:03 AM
12/10/23 03:03 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Another thing is just because something is perfect is good for someone doesn't mean it will be good for you. For example this is my girls dad's .270. guy was a gun nut and pretty serious so I know he had this set up perfectly for him self. Me however.
This is me with a comfortable stable cheek weld.
[Linked Image]

How ever due to it being set up for him and not me I have to float my head up (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) my neck a bit ect to see though the scope but it's not comfortable at all and trying to shoot it semi accurate just doesn't work.
[Linked Image]

Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016785
12/10/23 03:07 AM
12/10/23 03:07 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Oakland, MS
Thanks for the clarification, wolfie. My cheek alignment I believe was fine as I've been doing it the same way for 30+ years now and never had this issue.

But the scope alignment.... shooting with a rest, it seemed fine to me, but in the lead sled it was definitely off, and from reading WSD trappers post and and now yours I'm wondering if that might be the difference.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016786
12/10/23 03:10 AM
12/10/23 03:10 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Oakland, MS
UPDATE: I now know the make and model.

I took off the scope, and hidden under the scope... base? I guess it's called... the part that's screwed to the receiver.... was the make and model number. I took off the "base" too, and now know that it's a Remington model 1903!

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016787
12/10/23 03:13 AM
12/10/23 03:13 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
And as far as the lead sled....... Big can of worms but all imma say is with talking to guys who live eat and breath precision rifles, yeah you even mention a lead sled to then they just say don't. Lotta stuff can be said about them breaking scopes and what not but when you look at these FClass PRS and bench rest guys rigs and you NEVER see a lead sled , that should say something. Front rest and rear bags yes but never lead sled deals.
Shoot talked with one guy who's bad groups at 200yd look like most people good 25yd groups and he point black said he'd rather use some old sand bags and a sand sock before a lead sled.
If it works for y'all that great but we'll....

Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016788
12/10/23 03:19 AM
12/10/23 03:19 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Oakland, MS
According to Remington's site, I was off about as far on the age of the gun as I was my guess of 100 yards, lol.

It was made in September, 1942.

It looks just like this one...

[Linked Image]

Well, except for that back sight's been moved further up the barrel to allow for a scope.

Last edited by yotetrapper30; 12/10/23 03:33 AM.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016791
12/10/23 04:01 AM
12/10/23 04:01 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Thanks for the clarification, wolfie. My cheek alignment I believe was fine as I've been doing it the same way for 30+ years now and never had this issue.

But the scope alignment.... shooting with a rest, it seemed fine to me, but in the lead sled it was definitely off, and from reading WSD trappers post and and now yours I'm wondering if that might be the difference.

But you've been shooting with iorns for most of that time right ? If so it's not quite the same. Iorns are lower and more in line with the stock so usually you never really need to do much ,just slap you face down on the stock and their just there. Personally lined up.
Honestly now that I think about it I don't think I've ever had to do any stock.mods when shooting with iorns ,just pick it up and go shoot. Well have to zero them and that's about it.

Scopes, well, you have. The sightings device raised up higher then you iorns you you just plain not going to have the same cheek weld like you would with iorns 9/10 times. Usually you need to add something to the stock to give yourself a rised part to set your cheek on and line you eye up better. That being called a cheek riser. And if you using a sporterized old war horse, your probably gonna need to do something because most of those guns stock where not made to be shot with scopes ,only iorns . That's why if you see old sniper conversions of a lot of these guns you'll see added cheek pieces or super low scopes
The Enfield's are a good example.
As you can see the regular ones ment to be shot with iorns are pretty straight stock but the snipe ron ment for a scop has a extra raise cheek piece to help give a better higher cheek weld
[Linked Image]

Honestly now that I think about it when Dad gave me his , now my , chopped m1917 sporter I honestly could shoot it to save my life because I just couldn't get a good cheek weld on it because it still has the original but modified stock on it . We're I needed to put my face for a good cheek weld and where I needed to be to actually get a good site picture where just two different things. Finally did something to raise it up and get a good check Weld and it was better and more accurate to shoot till I got a better stock set up

No a pretty easy but ugly solution is to raise the pace you put your check your eye is more line up with to stock by adding some material. Cheap and easy way is a little foam and some tape or vet wrap. Was a super common thing for solder and Marines to do to the older sniper / DMR rifles before all the super nice chassis systems. Some examples
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And here a short little one minute video explaining how to make a easy cheek riser

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/0zawFeasiik?[/video]

And here's one that explains how you want to have you scope set up. Again it's only 2min long. And you can skip to about 0:19 to skip the intro

Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016793
12/10/23 04:13 AM
12/10/23 04:13 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
According to Remington's site, I was off about as far on the age of the gun as I was my guess of 100 yards, lol.

[Linked Image]

Well, except for that back sight's been moved further up the barrel to allow for a scope.

Yep if the sock is about the same that's what id figure a bit. Great for iorns not to great for scopes . What scope do you have btw ? Age model make ? You very could just have a scope that's just plain gave up the ghost. If so there's a lot of good options now days for $150 or less , the whole spending as much or 2x on the optic as you do for the rifle is just plain not necessary anymore with most modern optics. Especially if your just setting the scop once and shooting. If your cracking dials constantly that's a little different. But heck to get the quality of games and components alot of these sub $200-150 scopes have now days you HAD to pay an arm and a leg back in the gap.
Today....egh got to look at some higher dollar glass front he 80's , well taken care of scope , Japanese tasco if I remember right guy said it cost as much as his gun when I got it..... The $120 sig 3-12 I just put in my dad's 45-70 had better glass then that and they get noting but good reviews so... Anyhow I'm ranting now lol

Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: Wolfdog91] #8016794
12/10/23 04:24 AM
12/10/23 04:24 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Oakland, MS

[Linked Image]

Yep if the sock is about the same that's what id figure a bit. Great for iorns not to great for scopes . What scope do you have btw ? Age model make ? You very could just have a scope that's just plain gave up the ghost. If so there's a lot of good options now days for $150 or less , the whole spending as much or 2x on the optic as you do for the rifle is just plain not necessary anymore with most modern optics. Especially if your just setting the scop once and shooting. If your cracking dials constantly that's a little different. But heck to get the quality of games and components alot of these sub $200-150 scopes have now days you HAD to pay an arm and a leg back in the gap.
Today....egh got to look at some higher dollar glass front he 80's , well taken care of scope , Japanese tasco if I remember right guy said it cost as much as his gun when I got it..... The $120 sig 3-12 I just put in my dad's 45-70 had better glass then that and they get noting but good reviews so... Anyhow I'm ranting now lol

The scope is an old Redfield, no idea on age or model.

Thanks for your all your posts as you explained some topics (even without your videos I didn't watch lol) in a way I didn't understand them before.

Tomorrow is sight in the gun with iron sights and go from there day.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016802
12/10/23 06:38 AM
12/10/23 06:38 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
those are excellent rifles

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8016854
12/10/23 08:28 AM
12/10/23 08:28 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Since its already drilled and tapped, not original. I am assuming you gave the old gun a real thorough cleaning? Sweets is great for copper removal. It IS hydroscopic. Bonds with water from humidity. It must be completely removed after you use it or it will cause rust.

Last edited by danny clifton; 12/10/23 09:04 AM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8017313
12/10/23 04:33 PM
12/10/23 04:33 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Oakland, MS
Well I don't think I'll get to try sighting in the iron sights today after all. The rear sight is froze up. It's supposed to be able to move by hand but it wouldn't budge. After a bunch of tap tap tapping with a punch I got it to move finally but it's still so tight it'll only move by punch, not hand. Soaked it down good with some Hoppes oil and letting it soak. Sighting in rescheduled to Wednesday now.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: yotetrapper30] #8022832
12/17/23 01:00 AM
12/17/23 01:00 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Any updates?

Re: Scope sighting-in dilemma. [Re: Wolfdog91] #8022842