No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: J.C.] #8027413
12/21/23 07:26 PM
12/21/23 07:26 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by J.C.
We must instruct them on the error of their ways.

There ya have it.J.C. is Holier than thou.I knew he was one of them type.

Last edited by upstateNY; 12/21/23 07:27 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: upstateNY] #8027425
12/21/23 07:38 PM
12/21/23 07:38 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by upstateNY

There ya have it.J.C. is Holier than thou.I knew he was one of them type.

I missed that comment. Went back and read his post to get context...

That says all I really need to know about J.C.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: upstateNY] #8027485
12/21/23 08:17 PM
12/21/23 08:17 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD

Physician heal thyself...

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8027497
12/21/23 08:29 PM
12/21/23 08:29 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
So what if most Southerners fighting in the CW didn't own slaves? Average Joe Farmer was sold a bill of goods by the Southern power elite, which did own slaves.

In the same way, Bush/Cheney sold the American people a bill of goods in getting our support for invading Iraq. Good young people answering the call and some were killed for nothing.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8027502
12/21/23 08:32 PM
12/21/23 08:32 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Well...JC and James are on the same page....lol

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: yotetrapper30] #8027503
12/21/23 08:34 PM
12/21/23 08:34 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by DaveP
It's OK, in 100 years the JCs of that time will dig up JC's bones, smash his headstone, and level the area, as he was an anti Muslim bigot, who.went halfway around the world to slaughter innocent practitioners of the religion of peace.

Trying to view yesterday's events with today's lens is foolish.
Judging them by today's standards, well...

Great short post... hit the nail on the head.

What JC can't seem to understand is that those were different times. Owning slaves was common in many places besides just the southern US. Many people honestly believed that black people didn't even have souls... that they were a substandard species just a step above a caveman. They didn't consider them human beings in the sense they viewed white people. They viewed them more as livestock. Is that right? Of course not but it was how things were seen at that point of time in history.

JC is viewing things as people in today's world would view them, not as they were actually viewed back then.

But even still, why would people who never owned a slave and never would own one voluntarily rush to fight this war? Do you think they cared if Mr. Moneybags plantation owner lost his slaves? Of course not. They fought because they didn't want the Federal government to strip away states' rights. Alas, the Confederacy lost the war, and the Federal government has been trampling states' rights ever since.

What do you specifically mean by "states rights"? What rights are you talking about? Don't fall back on code words.

I say "states' rights" in this context is a code word for the "right" to own slaves. Can you show me how I'm wrong?

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8027554
12/21/23 09:00 PM
12/21/23 09:00 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by James
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Great short post... hit the nail on the head.

What JC can't seem to understand is that those were different times. Owning slaves was common in many places besides just the southern US. Many people honestly believed that black people didn't even have souls... that they were a substandard species just a step above a caveman. They didn't consider them human beings in the sense they viewed white people. They viewed them more as livestock. Is that right? Of course not but it was how things were seen at that point of time in history.

JC is viewing things as people in today's world would view them, not as they were actually viewed back then.

But even still, why would people who never owned a slave and never would own one voluntarily rush to fight this war? Do you think they cared if Mr. Moneybags plantation owner lost his slaves? Of course not. They fought because they didn't want the Federal government to strip away states' rights. Alas, the Confederacy lost the war, and the Federal government has been trampling states' rights ever since.

What do you specifically mean by "states rights"? What rights are you talking about? Don't fall back on code words.

I say "states' rights" in this context is a code word for the "right" to own slaves. Can you show me how I'm wrong?

Jim

No, it was the right to own slaves. You're absolutely right. But so many fought to support it because they were farsighted enough to know that it wouldn't stop there. If the federal government were allowed to disregard states' rights on THIS issue, they would be able to do so on any issue in the future. Which is exactly what has happened.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8027560
12/21/23 09:06 PM
12/21/23 09:06 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
They picked poor facts for establishing a principle.

I don't think people who fought in that war on the Southern side were far-sighted at all. I think the powers-that-were tricked them into supporting the Southern cause.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: James] #8027567
12/21/23 09:13 PM
12/21/23 09:13 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD

I don't think people who fought in that war on the Southern side were far-sighted at all. I think the powers-that-were tricked them into supporting the Southern cause.

Jim

Principle???

LOL, Lincoln suspended the law here in Maryland to prevent secession.
Must've been his " pre- crime" unit.
Butler imposed martiall law

"On September 17, 1861, the first day of the Maryland legislature's new session, fully one third of the members of the Maryland General Assembly were arrested, due to federal concerns that the Assembly "would aid the anticipated rebel invasion and would attempt to take the state out of the Union."

During this period in spring 1861, Baltimore Mayor Brown,[31] the city council, the police commissioner, and the entire Board of Police were arrested and imprisoned at Fort McHenry without charges.[3][32] One of those arrested was militia captain John Merryman, who was held without trial in defiance of a writ of habeas corpus on May 25, sparking the case of Ex parte Merryman, heard just 2 days later on May 27 and 28. In this case U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice, and native Marylander, Roger B. Taney, acting as a federal circuit court judge, ruled that the arrest of Merryman was unconstitutional without Congressional authorization, which Lincoln could not then secure:

The President, under the Constitution and laws of the United States, cannot suspend the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus, nor authorize any military officer to do so.[33]

The Merryman decision created a sensation, but its immediate impact was rather limited, as the president simply ignored the ruling.[34] Indeed, when Lincoln's dismissal of Chief Justice Taney's ruling was criticized in a September 1861 editorial by Baltimore newspaper editor Frank Key Howard (Francis Scott Key's grandson), Howard was himself arrested by order of Lincoln's Secretary of State Seward and held without trial. Howard described these events in his 1863 book Fourteen Months in American Bastiles, where he noted that he was imprisoned in Fort McHenry, the same fort where the Star Spangled Banner had been waving "o'er the land of the free" in his grandfather's song.[35] Two of the publishers selling his book were then arrested.[3] In all nine newspapers were shut down in Maryland by the federal government, and a dozen newspaper owners and editors like Howard were imprisoned without charges.[3]

James, as a lawyer, thoughts?

JC,
As a Marylander, SURELY you know our history.
Or, does two.wrongs make a right?

Held without trial?
160 years before Jan 6?

What's old is new again!
Tyranny!

Last edited by DaveP; 12/21/23 09:21 PM.
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: James] #8027585
12/21/23 09:25 PM
12/21/23 09:25 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
I once did some research into two original sources of evidence for the cause of the Civil War.

If you want to know, without adding revisionist history, go read 1) the southern states' intent, as evidenced by their bills of succession in their legislatures; and 2) Southern newspaper editorials and articles of the time. They disclose--a dangnation for all of posterity--the true cause of the CW:

SLAVERY!

Some people use the code-words "states' rights," forgetting that the state's right their ancestors cared about was the right to keep black human beings as property.

Go, JC! Don't let them get away with it. Don't let them forget.

JIm

No answer for all the black slave owners. I never get one whenever I ask about the fact that it was Africians that were capturing and selling the slaves to the slave dealers. That this country inherited slavery at our founding. It was here before we were a country.

Slavery was on its way out with mechanization. And would have been all but gone shortly. Many other countries had Slavery and continued to after we no longer imdid but som how the US is the bad guy.

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: Providence Farm] #8027588
12/21/23 09:26 PM
12/21/23 09:26 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I once did some research into two original sources of evidence for the cause of the Civil War.

If you want to know, without adding revisionist history, go read 1) the southern states' intent, as evidenced by their bills of succession in their legislatures; and 2) Southern newspaper editorials and articles of the time. They disclose--a dangnation for all of posterity--the true cause of the CW:

SLAVERY!

Some people use the code-words "states' rights," forgetting that the state's right their ancestors cared about was the right to keep black human beings as property.

JIm

No answer for all the black slave owners. I never get one whenever I ask about the fact that it was Africians that were capturing and selling the slaves to the slave dealers. That this country inherited slavery at our founding. It was here before we were a country.

Slavery was on its way out with mechanization. And would have been all but gone shortly. Many other countries had Slavery and continued to after we no longer imdid but som how the US is the bad guy.

Wanna guess what continent it still.exists on?
Yet no.one seems to.care....

WHY is that?

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8027592
12/21/23 09:29 PM
12/21/23 09:29 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Most of the population.of Baltimore, Ireland was captured and shipped to Africa, as slaves, in 1631.

Bet you never learned that in school!

Where's THEIR reparations?

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: James] #8027609
12/21/23 09:45 PM
12/21/23 09:45 PM
Missouri
G
Guthrie Offline
trapper
Guthrie  Offline
trapper
G

Missouri
No one is arguing that slavery is right; it needed to end. Having said that, the founders of USA felt strongly about states rights and a limited federal government. I believe Amendment 10 makes that pretty clear. They also laid out exactly what the federal governments' duties were in article one section 8 I believe. After the civil war, the federal government took more and more control over the states.

Amendment X (1791)

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Always buying Coon Dagger traps
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: James] #8027673
12/21/23 10:39 PM
12/21/23 10:39 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa

Jim

Some family history here. There were also some who were just simple farmers and just wanted to be left alone, but joined the Southern cause after being looted and burned out by Union troops. (Behavior fully condoned by "honest" Abe, by the way.)

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8027754
12/22/23 01:03 AM
12/22/23 01:03 AM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
You confuse me JC. As I understand what you said you have a problem with those who fought for the south because of what they were defending was wrong sort of the moral high ground. And yet you said you were a Catholic so the part that I can't understand is some one with such a high morale standard could support a religion that treated natives in south America like animals, took native children away from their families in Canada and caused their death, tortured people off an own for decades, and tries to hide their clergy who have molested children from punishment . Could you please explain that?

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8027755
12/22/23 01:06 AM
12/22/23 01:06 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Deflection alert!

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8027762
12/22/23 01:30 AM
12/22/23 01:30 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline OP
trapper
hippie  Offline OP
trapper
H

pa
Erase history, that will make it better.

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8027765
12/22/23 02:02 AM
12/22/23 02:02 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I haven't read everybody's contribution to this thread...but I think it stinks.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: hippie] #8027796
12/22/23 06:52 AM
12/22/23 06:52 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
I didn't read all of this, but tearing down historical monuments is always a bad idea.

Address the history. Don't try to erase it.

Re: Removing monument from Arlington [Re: James] #8027807
12/22/23 07:37 AM
12/22/23 07:37 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa

SLAVERY!

JIm

You guys, James said he RESEARCHED this! Therefore there can be no other valid points of view, so just stop it!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread