No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Medical tourism #8031050
12/25/23 09:23 PM
12/25/23 09:23 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline OP
trapper
Cragar  Offline OP
trapper

New York border
Not wanting to hijack a thread -

Quoted from James on the ' paid off my medical bill ' thread -

In Japan, MRIs cost almost exactly ONE-TENTH as much as they do here.

I keep asking myself how that can be.

Jim

Very good point , medical care is cheaper almost anywhere else in the world. The U.S. healthcare system is by far one of the most expensive in the world.

I am very seriously considering doing some medical tourism in the near future.
Does anyone have any experience with this ?

NRA benefactor member
Re: Medical tourism [Re: Cragar] #8031065
12/25/23 09:34 PM
12/25/23 09:34 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Want to follow this, some of the stem cell treatments sound super promising and affordable out of the country.

Re: Medical tourism [Re: Cragar] #8031066
12/25/23 09:39 PM
12/25/23 09:39 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
My buddy from Canada took his wife to Mexico to get her stomach stapled it worked out fine but that would not be my first choice for medical care.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Medical tourism [Re: Law Dog] #8031087
12/25/23 10:11 PM
12/25/23 10:11 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline OP
trapper
Cragar  Offline OP
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by Law Dog
My buddy from Canada took his wife to Mexico to get her stomach stapled it worked out fine but that would not be my first choice for medical care.

What part of Mexico might I ask ?
One place on my radar ( but far from making a decision ) is Cancun. They have medical tourism packages with pick up at the airport, take you to your resort, take you for medical visits , take you back to airport to depart- all meals-hotel-etc included. Plus an interpreter the whole time you are there.

Plus this costs less than 20%-25% of what it would cost in my northeast high cost blue state.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Medical tourism [Re: Cragar] #8031105
12/25/23 10:19 PM
12/25/23 10:19 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by Cragar
Originally Posted by Law Dog

What part of Mexico might I ask ?
One place on my radar ( but far from making a decision ) is Cancun. They have medical tourism packages with pick up at the airport, take you to your resort, take you for medical visits , take you back to airport to depart- all meals-hotel-etc included. Plus an interpreter the whole time you are there.

Plus this costs less than 20%-25% of what it would cost in my northeast high cost blue state.

No clue it was several years ago they seemed satisfied with the way it went.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Medical tourism [Re: Cragar] #8031134
12/25/23 10:55 PM
12/25/23 10:55 PM
East Central Mn.
U
uplandpointer Offline
trapper
uplandpointer  Offline
trapper
U

East Central Mn.
A good friend of ours had her stomach surgery done in Costa Rica. She said it was great.

Re: Medical tourism [Re: Cragar] #8031139
12/25/23 11:03 PM
12/25/23 11:03 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

I have a friend who just got back from getting an MRI and a bunch of other diagnostic testing in Moscow. The MRI was $125. He had tried to get it done here in the USA, but the earliest they could get him in was late February.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Medical tourism [Re: waggler] #8031144
12/25/23 11:12 PM
12/25/23 11:12 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by waggler
I have a friend who just got back from getting an MRI and a bunch of other diagnostic testing in Moscow. The MRI was $125. He had tried to get it done here in the USA, but the earliest they could get him in was late February.

Curious as to what kind of insurance these people have or do they have insurance? My wife just had some hip issues and needed an MRI, the very next week she got approved and got her MRI. We’ve never had an issue with insurance and that’s raising 3 boys and now CJ. Only reason I mentioned they were boys is it seems we were at the hospital weekly with every type of injury or virus you could imagine. Broken bones, sprains, strains, you name it and they had it.

Re: Medical tourism [Re: Cragar] #8031148
12/25/23 11:17 PM
12/25/23 11:17 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Big in mexico

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Medical tourism [Re: Cragar] #8031152
12/25/23 11:19 PM
12/25/23 11:19 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^
My friend is in the electricians union. I think he has pretty good insurance, but the tests he needed would have taken months had he had them done here, and along with co-pay, lost work and the anxiety of not knowing for months whether or not he was dying. Turns out his medical issues weren't as bad as everyone had feared. He was money and time ahead by going to Moscow, not to mention the peace of mind he got.

Re: Medical tourism [Re: Cragar] #8031153
12/25/23 11:21 PM
12/25/23 11:21 PM
Washington State
H
humptulips Offline
trapper
humptulips  Offline
trapper
H

Washington State
I think the problem in this country is the way the medical industry bills. They jack the price way up and know darn well Insurance companies are going to reduce the allowed price way down. It seems like a way to penalize anyone who doesn't have insurance. If you don't have insurance they expect you to have to pay the entire bill.
Example: I spent most of a day in the emergency room when I broke my neck this fall. Total ER bill came to just over $33,000. My insurance knocked that down to just over a $1000. and my co-pay was $90. It seems like a ploy to force everyone to have insurance.

Re: Medical tourism [Re: Cragar] #8031166
12/25/23 11:33 PM
12/25/23 11:33 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
One advantage of insurance is that the insurance companies have a lower contracted fee schedule than is typically charged to uninsured patients. Medicare does also. It is not a scheme, but good business on their part to keep premiums lower.

Last edited by charles; 12/25/23 11:36 PM.
Re: Medical tourism [Re: humptulips] #8031168
12/25/23 11:37 PM
12/25/23 11:37 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
Originally Posted by humptulips
I think the problem in this country is the way the medical industry bills.

I think you should blame medical malpractice attorneys and the lack of "loser pays" laws for frivolous lawsuits..

Last edited by white marlin; 12/25/23 11:39 PM.
Re: Medical tourism [Re: Cragar] #8031172
12/25/23 11:51 PM
12/25/23 11:51 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
Good business, that's a joke it's all about the money. Medicare is a medical nightmare for people on it. We will never have health care for all Americans like other countries do because the insurance companies fight it with one lie after another because they make billions off the care and pills. It's a goose that keeps laying golden eggs year in and out.

Re: Medical tourism [Re: Cragar] #8031179
12/26/23 12:03 AM
12/26/23 12:03 AM
TN
Oreamnos Offline
trapper
Oreamnos  Offline
trapper

TN
I personally have not done medical tourism. I have however, had several patients that have gone that route and then later I've seen them in my office.
For diagnostics I don't see a problem. Assuming you can transfer imaging and data to other providers.
For procedures it's a bit riskier. I've seen patients who have had work done overseas in Mexico, Costa Rica, Canada - kidding smile and a variety of other places. Some of the work is superb. Some work does not meet the standard of care and we have to clean up the mess.
You don't really have the same protections you do here. Here if a procedure is botched or there's a missed diagnosis you can call the board and a lawyer. Overseas you are a lot more hit or miss on any legal protections or financial compensation in case of mistakes.
If you're interested in pursuing it I would pick your geographic area of interest and reach out to any expat groups you can find and ask them for referrals. Good luck.

Re: Medical tourism [Re: Cragar] #8031182
12/26/23 12:28 AM
12/26/23 12:28 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
$8 for a Tylenol and $2 for the paper catchup container adds up fast I’d bet. Price a bag of saline and see what they charge you for it

Last edited by Law Dog; 12/26/23 12:30 AM.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Medical tourism [Re: Oreamnos] #8031184
12/26/23 12:49 AM
12/26/23 12:49 AM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Oreamnos
I personally have not done medical tourism. I have however, had several patients that have gone that route and then later I've seen them in my office.
For diagnostics I don't see a problem. Assuming you can transfer imaging and data to other providers.
For procedures it's a bit riskier. I've seen patients who have had work done overseas in Mexico, Costa Rica, Canada - kidding smile and a variety of other places. Some of the work is superb. Some work does not meet the standard of care and we have to clean up the mess.
You don't really have the same protections you do here. Here if a procedure is botched or there's a missed diagnosis you can call the board and a lawyer. Overseas you are a lot more hit or miss on any legal protections or financial compensation in case of mistakes.
If you're interested in pursuing it I would pick your geographic area of interest and reach out to any expat groups you can find and ask them for referrals. Good luck.

However, you have to remember that over 250,000 deaths per year in the USA are caused by doctor's medical mistakes. It is the third leading cause of death in the USA.

Re: Medical tourism [Re: Cragar] #8031213
12/26/23 03:38 AM
12/26/23 03:38 AM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
I had no idea that Medical Tourism was even a thing until I met one of the top reference sources for info about traveling for medical and dental procedures.

Patients Without Borders is one of the leading sources for information about shopping for health related services outside the United States. Medical Tourism is big business.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Medical tourism [Re: Oreamnos] #8032071
12/27/23 02:04 AM
12/27/23 02:04 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon

Good post sir.

I "saved money" by going to South America to have a bunch of dental work done. I saved money but the work was terrible. Crowns that I couldn't floss between which eventually caused me to lose molars, etc etc. I've regretted it many times over.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Medical tourism [Re: Oreamnos] #8032081
12/27/23 02:36 AM
12/27/23 02:36 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

Sure. A medical board comprised of the doctor's colleagues and a lawyer who's hamstrung by tort "reform."

I've twice been the victim of medical malpractice. My damages are five days in a critical care unit in the first case, and a permanently fused ankle which leaves me unable to walk a straight line in the second case.

Twenty years ago I could have found a lawyer who might have won a modest measure of damages for my injuries. But ensuing years of tort "reform" and propaganda have left most victims of modest, non-critical medical injuries without adequate recourse.

Jim

Last edited by James; 12/27/23 02:38 AM.

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread