No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum ~ Live Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
waxed dirt #8051408
01/16/24 01:01 PM
01/16/24 01:01 PM
Joined: Feb 2023
chippwewa falls WI
chippewatrapper Offline OP
trapper
chippewatrapper  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Feb 2023
chippwewa falls WI
I really dropped the ball on making waxed dirt. I have the flake wax. I do not have 100% dry dirt. if I heated up some partially dry dirt in an old pan on a propane burner, would that get it dry enough to wax without giving it a smell?


WTA
NTA
Chippewa rod and gun
Re: waxed dirt [Re: chippewatrapper] #8051453
01/16/24 01:34 PM
01/16/24 01:34 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2010
Central, SD
I use heat lamps as long as you don’t scorch the wax it’s scent free not a fast way to wax but easier on the dirt, waxed baby powder dirt it worthless to me I like it course for drainage.


Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: waxed dirt [Re: chippewatrapper] #8051531
01/16/24 02:47 PM
01/16/24 02:47 PM
Joined: Apr 2022
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline
trapper
Guss  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Apr 2022
Wisconsin
I cook the dirt on a wood stove till I see steam come up.

Re: waxed dirt [Re: chippewatrapper] #8051543
01/16/24 02:57 PM
01/16/24 02:57 PM
Joined: Dec 2019
Iowa
C
CTRAPS Offline
trapper
CTRAPS  Offline
trapper
C

Joined: Dec 2019
Iowa
I've made waxed dirt using a microwave.

Last edited by CTRAPS; 01/16/24 02:57 PM.

Life Member: ITA, IBA, MTA & NRA. Member of SA, FTA & NTA
Re: waxed dirt [Re: Law Dog] #8051575
01/16/24 03:29 PM
01/16/24 03:29 PM
Joined: Feb 2023
chippwewa falls WI
chippewatrapper Offline OP
trapper
chippewatrapper  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Feb 2023
chippwewa falls WI
how long does the heat lamp method take?


WTA
NTA
Chippewa rod and gun
Re: waxed dirt [Re: chippewatrapper] #8442104
07/24/25 07:17 PM
07/24/25 07:17 PM
L
Leroy Bob
Unregistered
Leroy Bob
Unregistered
L


Reviving this one, as I plan to make my own. Intended to use a propane burner but a friend is saying I’ll likely introduce a scent.

Anybody got a proven method they’re willing to share?

Re: waxed dirt [Re: chippewatrapper] #8442122
07/24/25 07:34 PM
07/24/25 07:34 PM
J
jabNE
Unregistered
jabNE
Unregistered
J


I have an old crock pot and I make batches while I am doing other stuff in garage on weekends in offseason.
Works very well and I’ve been doing this method for many years.
Jim

Re: waxed dirt [Re: chippewatrapper] #8442128
07/24/25 07:38 PM
07/24/25 07:38 PM
L
Leroy Bob
Unregistered
Leroy Bob
Unregistered
L


Do you dry your dirt/sand before putting it in the crockpot?

Re: waxed dirt [Re: chippewatrapper] #8442175
07/24/25 08:53 PM
07/24/25 08:53 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Craigmont, Idaho
M
marty weatherup Offline
trapper
marty weatherup  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Aug 2011
Craigmont, Idaho
I use a cement mixer, 3 pounds of Hobby Lobby wax beads (paraffin not palm or coconut), and 100 pounds of play sand. I heat it with a weed burner as the cement mixer turns with the sand in it. As long as there are no organics in it you really don’t need to worry. I use a hand held thermal thermometer and try to keep the temperature around 140-150. If you have sand or dirt with organics then keep it 140 or less. Once the sand gets to 140-145 I add the wax and let it mix with no heat. I leave it running until the temp gets down to either the current ambient temp or 70 degrees. Obviously if the ambient temps are higher it’s not going down to 70.

I made a couple hundred gallons this way last year and had plenty of coyote success. The play sand really simplifies the process. I don’t have time to gather it and haul it.


Trail cameras and fresh snow have broke a lot of trapper’s hearts.
Re: waxed dirt [Re: chippewatrapper] #8442179
07/24/25 08:58 PM
07/24/25 08:58 PM
Joined: Nov 2023
West central Missouri
R
Raghorn67 Offline
trapper
Raghorn67  Offline
trapper
R

Joined: Nov 2023
West central Missouri
I use a big electric roaster.
Set the temp on my roaster about 190 IIRC
Throw about 2 inches of dirt in it and add flaked wax and stir it occasionally until I get what I'm looking for, which is to shed water droplets .
Then I dump it onto a tarp and spread it out to cool before putting it in a 5 gallon bucket with a sealed lid

Re: waxed dirt [Re: Raghorn67] #8442189
07/24/25 09:18 PM
07/24/25 09:18 PM
Joined: Mar 2018
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Mar 2018
Pa.
Originally Posted by Raghorn67

Then I dump it onto a tarp and spread it out to cool before putting it in a 5 gallon bucket with a sealed lid


Very important . Otherwise it will get mold.

Re: waxed dirt [Re: chippewatrapper] #8442219
07/24/25 09:51 PM
07/24/25 09:51 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Joined: Mar 2007
Midland, MI.


"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread