No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Providence Farm] #8059792
01/25/24 01:06 PM
01/25/24 01:06 PM
PA
H
hickoryridge Offline
trapper
hickoryridge  Offline
trapper
H

PA
I can't take credit, that's an excerpt from a book I have . . I agree too though and am very passionate about the subject

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8059818
01/25/24 01:51 PM
01/25/24 01:51 PM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
It seems that some people have a very limited memory. How was home schooling that much different than Covid days and school shutdowns and learning from home? How is it when schools are shut down so they can be used to house Demented Joes onslaught of illegals?? Why aren't the tax payers getting their school education taxes refunded? I will tell you another thing MOST Parents do not know!! BillGates/Microsoft give Millions in Grants to school systems across this country. Now in order for these school systems to get those funds the teachers have to take classes usually on a weekend or one of their student off days. These classes try to brain wash the teachers into things like girl and boy bathrooms should be Gender neutral and how to address kids with the proper pronoun of Child student not young man or young lady. Sound familiar in Leftist states?? Guess who does NOT get that funding?? Thats right Private, Home schooled, and Christian schools. THAT is EXACTLY why we sent our kids to the school we did. Inner city schools have problems with drugs Gang Bangers and other things. MOST but notall INNER city schools do. You just have to really monitor your school you send them to and do not be bashful about it.

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: randall brannon] #8059842
01/25/24 02:24 PM
01/25/24 02:24 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by randall brannon
It seems that some people have a very limited memory. How was home schooling that much different than Covid days and school shutdowns and learning from home? How is it when schools are shut down so they can be used to house Demented Joes onslaught of illegals?? Why aren't the tax payers getting their school education taxes refunded? I will tell you another thing MOST Parents do not know!! BillGates/Microsoft give Millions in Grants to school systems across this country. Now in order for these school systems to get those funds the teachers have to take classes usually on a weekend or one of their student off days. These classes try to brain wash the teachers into things like girl and boy bathrooms should be Gender neutral and how to address kids with the proper pronoun of Child student not young man or young lady. Sound familiar in Leftist states?? Guess who does NOT get that funding?? Thats right Private, Home schooled, and Christian schools. THAT is EXACTLY why we sent our kids to the school we did. Inner city schools have problems with drugs Gang Bangers and other things. MOST but notall INNER city schools do. You just have to really monitor your school you send them to and do not be bashful about it.

I believe, if my limited memory serves, we covered this subject in this thread yesterday. See, you can teach, but it doesn't mean everybody is learning. frown

Who is John Galt?
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8059896
01/25/24 03:46 PM
01/25/24 03:46 PM
Flint Hills, KS
J
jht Offline
trapper
jht  Offline
trapper
J

Flint Hills, KS
It's interesting to see what things people get passionate about. I didn't really expect this to be one of those things. Not sure why I didn't expect it; after reading some posts, I realize that I should have. Anyway, I don't have much to add to the more controversial points, but I'll answer some of the basic questions that have been tossed around:

My wife and I were both educated in public school (we think we turned out okay, but we are a little biased). We are now homeschooling our 4 kids (we think they're pretty okay too, but we are a little biased). I work outside the home and make less than the median income for our area, and my wife manages the house and the majority of the schooling pro bono while I'm at work. We have never viewed our income as an issue at all. There are certainly things we can't do for lack of money (mostly things we don't want or need anyway), but we are able to do a lot of things we want but don't really need to do, if you follow me. So far, at least, money is not an issue. Regarding socialization, I don't think that's an issue either (sure, my kids only speak elvish [Quenya, not the lowly Sindarin tongue], but I'm sure they'll be fine). I've known people educated at home, at private schools, at parochial schools, and at public schools; as far as I can tell, schooling isn't a good predictor or success/failure, function/dysfunction, productivity/unproductivity, or social aptitude/ineptitude. People will always have their own strengths and weaknesses regardless of their educational system. Honestly, my own social awkwardness probably saved me from a lot of trouble in high school and college, and I am grateful!

My big-picture thought on the whole issue is that parenting is much more important than education. Parents can be good or bad independent of education type, but the success of any education can be greatly improved by good parenting or greatly impaired by bad parenting. I am grateful that we are able to homeschool our kids, but it's okay if others decide that it won't work for their family. For us, the decision to homeschool had less to do with the ability of the schools to educate (sensu stricto) our children and more to do with their personal formation. People aren't educated into being decent people, they are formed and shaped by their surroundings, the people they're with, their habits and choices, etc. We do not think that sending our kids, beginning at 5 years old or younger, out into popular culture for over half their waking life would form them into the kind of humans they should be. At least, we thought it would make their formation more difficult. Our desire, then, is to spend more time being parents rather than letting the broader culture parent them while we earn more money. Along with that, almost as a bonus, we should be able to give them and education that is tailored to their needs and interests. Right or wrong, that's our thought-process.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8059981
01/25/24 06:17 PM
01/25/24 06:17 PM
East, Kentucky
KYBOY Offline
trapper
KYBOY  Offline
trapper

East, Kentucky
My wife is a teacher and I volunteer at her school. Not public school... Ive even subbed some myself. I have nothing at all against homeschooling. It works great for some folks, some kids get a lot out of it and develope well.... Some kids do not.. Some kids need heavy social interaction to develop and a more structered enviroment to develop.. A lot of it depends on the parents and how they are teaching. Many take it very seriously and develop great lesson plans and social plans for their kids.... Some absolutely do not.. Ive seen kids come into my wifes highschool that were "homeschooled" by lazy parents who did nothing and they were on 3-4 grade levels on everything and socially akward as can be.. In my opinion it really comes down to the parents. Its up to them to do it right and understand what is best for their kids

Deep in the heart of Appalachia....
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: KYBOY] #8060068
01/25/24 08:28 PM
01/25/24 08:28 PM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
Originally Posted by KYBOY
My wife is a teacher and I volunteer at her school. Not public school... Ive even subbed some myself. I have nothing at all against homeschooling. It works great for some folks, some kids get a lot out of it and develope well.... Some kids do not.. Some kids need heavy social interaction to develop and a more structered enviroment to develop.. A lot of it depends on the parents and how they are teaching. Many take it very seriously and develop great lesson plans and social plans for their kids.... Some absolutely do not.. Ive seen kids come into my wifes highschool that were "homeschooled" by lazy parents who did nothing and they were on 3-4 grade levels on everything and socially akward as can be.. In my opinion it really comes down to the parents. Its up to them to do it right and understand what is best for their kids

BINGO!!!!

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: randall brannon] #8060075
01/25/24 08:37 PM
01/25/24 08:37 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by randall brannon

Huh. My wife is a teacher. Hasn't had to go to brainwashing class on weekends. Must not have gotten the memo.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: jht] #8060132
01/25/24 09:32 PM
01/25/24 09:32 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by jht
It's interesting to see what things people get passionate about. I didn't really expect this to be one of those things. Not sure why I didn't expect it; after reading some posts, I realize that I should have. Anyway, I don't have much to add to the more controversial points, but I'll answer some of the basic questions that have been tossed around:

My wife and I were both educated in public school (we think we turned out okay, but we are a little biased). We are now homeschooling our 4 kids (we think they're pretty okay too, but we are a little biased). I work outside the home and make less than the median income for our area, and my wife manages the house and the majority of the schooling pro bono while I'm at work. We have never viewed our income as an issue at all. There are certainly things we can't do for lack of money (mostly things we don't want or need anyway), but we are able to do a lot of things we want but don't really need to do, if you follow me. So far, at least, money is not an issue. Regarding socialization, I don't think that's an issue either (sure, my kids only speak elvish [Quenya, not the lowly Sindarin tongue], but I'm sure they'll be fine). I've known people educated at home, at private schools, at parochial schools, and at public schools; as far as I can tell, schooling isn't a good predictor or success/failure, function/dysfunction, productivity/unproductivity, or social aptitude/ineptitude. People will always have their own strengths and weaknesses regardless of their educational system. Honestly, my own social awkwardness probably saved me from a lot of trouble in high school and college, and I am grateful!

My big-picture thought on the whole issue is that parenting is much more important than education. Parents can be good or bad independent of education type, but the success of any education can be greatly improved by good parenting or greatly impaired by bad parenting. I am grateful that we are able to homeschool our kids, but it's okay if others decide that it won't work for their family. For us, the decision to homeschool had less to do with the ability of the schools to educate (sensu stricto) our children and more to do with their personal formation. People aren't educated into being decent people, they are formed and shaped by their surroundings, the people they're with, their habits and choices, etc. We do not think that sending our kids, beginning at 5 years old or younger, out into popular culture for over half their waking life would form them into the kind of humans they should be. At least, we thought it would make their formation more difficult. Our desire, then, is to spend more time being parents rather than letting the broader culture parent them while we earn more money. Along with that, almost as a bonus, we should be able to give them and education that is tailored to their needs and interests. Right or wrong, that's our thought-process.

Whew. I was really upset when you said your kids only spoke elvish as I assumed you meant Sindarin and figured they would all never amount to anything more than a cook or maid for the hobbits. Glad you specified that they're Quendi.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8060323
01/26/24 12:26 AM
01/26/24 12:26 AM
St. Maries, ID
teacherman Offline
trapper
teacherman  Offline
trapper

St. Maries, ID
I’m actually a teacher and we still choose to homeschool our girls in Idaho. They love it, my wife stays home with them. We have an Australian Shepherd Kennel she runs as well. The girls are able to do their school in 2-3 hrs a day then able to be kids after that. They are also training for the Jr. Olympics. My 10 yr old daughter right now is running 5 plus miles a day with her times in the low 5 min mile range. Goal is to make nationals this year. On top of that they LOVES their outdoor rec time. In the Fall they get to go hunting with my wife during the day and right now are able to run their little trapline during the day. Mostly mink and muskrat trapping with my wife. They are getting the childhood I wished I had while I was stuck in school.

Last edited by teacherman; 01/26/24 12:27 AM.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Dirt] #8060336
01/26/24 12:53 AM
01/26/24 12:53 AM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by spjones
I’ve seen mixed results from homeschooling,,,, some real winners and some super losers

The key with the super winners was homeschooling in conjunction with travelling abroad

The losers seemed too have the common thread of not really socializing

Covid screwed over a whole generation of young people. Very few kids excelled at homeschooling during the lockdowns

This is an interesting concept. So a grandchild of mine just went on public school sponsored trip to to Europe. I took my homeschooled daughter to Europe when she was 14. She helped plan and book the whole trip. She helped learn and navigate and book the planes, trains, boats, hotels, subway systems and tourist attractions. Who do you think learned more life skills? The public school student who went on canned tour or the homeschooled student?

See Dirt you just showed what some of us are saying!! PARENTS make a big difference in a childs education!!!

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8060390
01/26/24 05:39 AM
01/26/24 05:39 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I’m sticking to it

Home Schooled Kids Are Different,,

Maybe it is the Parents………..

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8060410
01/26/24 06:37 AM
01/26/24 06:37 AM
Va
S
Spike369 Offline
trapper
Spike369  Offline
trapper
S

Va
My neighbor home schools his 2 boys. They are mean, destructive, sneaky, lawless, mouthy and rude. Yea everyone should be home schooled.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8060452
01/26/24 07:51 AM
01/26/24 07:51 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Do you think they'd be good boys if they'd have been in public school?

Eh...wot?

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Spike369] #8060456
01/26/24 07:57 AM
01/26/24 07:57 AM
alabama
BandB Offline
trapper
BandB  Offline
trapper

alabama
Originally Posted by Spike369
My neighbor home schools his 2 boys. They are mean, destructive, sneaky, lawless, mouthy and rude. Yea everyone should be home schooled.

So your saying they should be in school? I'm sure that would lead to a more fulfilling day for the teachers and other students.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Spike369] #8060479
01/26/24 08:24 AM
01/26/24 08:24 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by Spike369

Put them in a public school, that will straighten them right out. Brilliant, Spike.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8060506
01/26/24 08:59 AM
01/26/24 08:59 AM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
I do know most of them are socially compromised.
I'm quite sure that most of the t man crowd must be home schooled then. grin

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Vinke] #8060546
01/26/24 09:58 AM
01/26/24 09:58 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Vinke
I’m sticking to it

You make different sound bad. I didn't want to produce sheep. I tried to produce wolves.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Dirt] #8060558
01/26/24 10:15 AM
01/26/24 10:15 AM
PA
H
hickoryridge Offline
trapper
hickoryridge  Offline
trapper
H

PA
Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Vinke
I’m sticking to it

You make different sound bad. I didn't want to produce sheep. I tried to produce wolves.

exactly . . I don't want my kids to be 'normal' by today's standards

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: jht] #8060577
01/26/24 10:32 AM
01/26/24 10:32 AM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
Originally Posted by jht

I've been a public school teacher for 15 years. All three of my children go to the school that my wife and I teach at. That said, you hit the nail on the head jht. As parents, teachers, and caring adults, we should all be in the same business of doing what's best to raise our children the right way. For some that is public schools. For others it's home schooling. Based on your comments, jht, you and your wife are doing a wonderful job raising your children and they will do very well in life. Not all children are fortunate enough to have parents that have the perspective and dedication that you and your wife do. For those children that aren't fortunate to have that caring adult in their life, I hope to be a little glimmer of inspiration as their public school teacher. I could go on and on discussing the "pro's and con's" of public education versus home schooling but it really just comes down to what works best for everyone's situation. Like all professions, there are great and terrible teachers. There are great and terrible parents. No one blanket statement about public education is true and no one blanket statement about home schooling is true.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8060591
01/26/24 10:47 AM
01/26/24 10:47 AM
Pennsylvania
K
Keystonekiller Offline
trapper
Keystonekiller  Offline
trapper
K

Pennsylvania
I see alot of people going back an fourth at the end of the day home schooled or public it's up to the parent on
how they turn out

Last edited by Keystonekiller; 01/26/24 10:48 AM.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread