No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Retiring and supplement insurance #8064368
01/30/24 01:12 PM
01/30/24 01:12 PM
N. Dakota
1lessdog Offline OP
trapper
1lessdog  Offline OP
trapper

N. Dakota
I plan on retiring in a few month. I have had Medicare since I turned 65 last Sept. I live in Mn and would like to here what you retirees have for your supplement insurance. And if you have prescriptions and dental. It is so confusing on what to get.

Thanks

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064379
01/30/24 01:23 PM
01/30/24 01:23 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
I'm on a Medicare Advantage plan. No premium payment. But no prescriptions required.

I lost my dental coverage a couple years ago when the company announced they were ending our coverage. I brush and floss twice a day and do a check up once every 9 months, out of my pocket.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064382
01/30/24 01:26 PM
01/30/24 01:26 PM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
So many people think it will be so easy once you are getting Medicare for free, WRONG. Between the money coming out to pay for it and the constant barrage of solicitations to buy it is a pain. I have a good Advantage plan C with presciption and dental to $2500 a year, costs me an extra $23 a month. I am not a fan of having a supplement plan just to avoid some co-pays. Takes work to know what is right for you, and don't take a salespersons word for what is best for you.

Born twice, die once
Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064395
01/30/24 01:46 PM
01/30/24 01:46 PM
S.C. Montana
M
MTtraps Offline
trapper
MTtraps  Offline
trapper
M

S.C. Montana
I have Medicare and a supplement through Mutual of Omaha (plan N ) plus prescription plan through Medicare. It was a real shock when I found you have to pay every month for Medicare, it ain't free and even though I've been paying in to the system since I was 16 (1974) still get to pay but considering that I'm on dialysis and it pays to have it

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064419
01/30/24 02:11 PM
01/30/24 02:11 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I have Med Supplement Plan G. My premium is $199 per month. It is with AARP United Healthcare. My last employer gives me a benefit allowance thus my cost is zero. Retired military members get TriCare for Life. It has pharmacy benefit. I also have Medicare A and B. My wife has an advantage plan with Humana. She is a retired educator. She also is covered on my TriCare plan.

We are so fortunate when it comes to health insurance coverages.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064477
01/30/24 04:04 PM
01/30/24 04:04 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Watching

Moosetrot

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064497
01/30/24 04:50 PM
01/30/24 04:50 PM
N.Y. Mid Hudson Valley
T
Tommyran Offline
trapper
Tommyran  Offline
trapper
T

N.Y. Mid Hudson Valley
Originally Posted by 1lessdog
I plan on retiring in a few month. I have had Medicare since I turned 65 last Sept. I live in Mn and would like to here what you retirees have for your supplement insurance. And if you have prescriptions and dental. It is so confusing on what to get.

Thanks

I have MVP through my former employer + Medicare now. 2 operations in the past 3 years didn't cost me a dime. Plus 8-9 trips to the ER only costing me $50 a piece.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064504
01/30/24 05:06 PM
01/30/24 05:06 PM
New York
P
proratman Offline
trapper
proratman  Offline
trapper
P

New York
As mentioned above- Medicare is not for free. I think the premium for me is around $180 per month. That is deducted automatically from my SS payment. Along with a deduction for income tax.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064564
01/30/24 07:06 PM
01/30/24 07:06 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Medicare is free, The add ons cost money, Part A,B,C etc.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064655
01/30/24 08:57 PM
01/30/24 08:57 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I have thrivent just keep in mind they get you signed up and you’re kind of locked in sort of because the older you get the harder it is to change. My coverage started at $180 a month and goes up every year like clockwork it’s about $220 now. If you have meds run that by the provider to see how much they cover or if the will cover it.

Look into good RX also you will be surprised what that will save you for no cost to you.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064719
01/30/24 10:09 PM
01/30/24 10:09 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
I’m not sure what mom and dad are on but I do know they got lucky to have the insurance agent they have as he is very knowledgeable about it.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064842
01/31/24 12:36 AM
01/31/24 12:36 AM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Medicare Advantage + plan has dental ($3500 annual benefit) and vision ( basic exam + $300 annual vision benefit). No prescription drug benefit, but covers all CDC recommended vaccines free if you're so inclined.
Plan provides a $70/month clawback off the total Medicare deduction.

I have a prescription plan through the state for $30/year; pays 50 precent after $500 deductible, no maximum out of pocket, so probably not good for cancer, etc. Also have Good Rx for everyday meds (diabetes and heart = ~$7.00/month).

All set up and reviewed annually with my independent insurance agent, healthcare is what they specialize in.

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064847
01/31/24 12:44 AM
01/31/24 12:44 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Some meds are covered now that were not covered before on Medicare, check out the changes that just took place I just had my meds filled and don't see any charges from the pharmacy.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064873
01/31/24 03:23 AM
01/31/24 03:23 AM
Ohio
M
Mike C Offline
trapper
Mike C  Offline
trapper
M

Ohio
You have a 7 month window in which to sign up for Medicare. For most, this will include 3 months prior to your 65th birthday, the month off, and 3 months after your birthday. (Other timelines explained below)

Medicare part A is free to most folks who worked or whose spouses worked. This covers hospital stays.
Medicare part B cost around $175 a month and is deducted from any social security payment you receive. This covers Doctors and medical care and covers 80% of you bills.
Medicare supplement plans vary, but are in the neighborhood of $125 to $200 a month depending on discounts and your age. This covers the other 20% of your bills. Most folks use plan G, but there are about 10 different plans to choose from based on your needs. These other plans vary by how much of the 20% you want covered and how much of a deductible you want.
Medicare part D is prescription drug coverage. Plans run from $0 to $1-200 a month or more. Depends on your your prescription needs.
Part C is provided by private insurance companies and combines parts A, B, and D.

When you turn 65 you should sign up for part A whether you retire or not. It is usually free (no monthly premiums) and can be used in combination with other insurances you may have.

When you turn 65 if you continue to work you can stay on your employers insurance if available. When you turn 65 and you retire, or if you have no Insurance through your employer, you can/must sign up for Medicare part B(or C). If you do not sign up at that time you will pay an additional monthly penalty for the rest of your life when you do sign up. (Keeps healthy folks from waiting until they get sick to sign up). (If you sign up for Medicare part B but delay your Social Security payment the government will send you a bill quarterly until you start drawing Social Security).

The same applies for part D. Turn 65, keep working, employer if available. Retire at 65 or no prescription coverage from employer can/must sign up then or pay a monthly penalty.

If you choose parts A, B and D you are in what is classified as a PPO. You can go to any provider or facility that accepts Medicare. This insurance also goes with you if you travel. If you decide to acquire a supplemental plan (G) you will pay an annual deductible, forget exact amounts but around $150 for part B and I think $200 for A. Other than that all of your healthcare cost are covered 100%. Outside of prescriptions. Too many variables to even try to explain.

If you choose a Medicare Advantage plan you are in what is classified as an HMO. You must go to approved Doctors or facilities within your providers network. Most times you will also need prior authorization for most procedures. If you do not do this you will will have to pay part, or all, of you”unapproved” bills. This insurance does not travel with you. They will cover ER visits if you are traveling but nothing else. And you must need the ER under their definition of an emergency or you are responsible for the bill. Once you are on an Advantage plan you can only go back to traditional Medicare by filling out an application and being accepted. (Meaning if you relatively healthy they will take you back, if you have problems, not so much). Most Advantage plans cover eye and dental.

Additional Supplement info. The first year you sign up you will almost certainly be accepted into any plan you wish to enter. Then on an annual basis you must reapply for your supplement. Stay with you current provider and they are required to keep insuring you. If you want to switch to another provider you need to apply and they have the right to deny coverage if they want to. You can add eye and dental to most supplemental plans or purchase coverage separately.

Additional part D info. There is a Medicare website where you can enter you prescriptions and pharmacy preferences and it will automatically sort out coverage plans for you. You can pick the one that best covers your needs for the premium you want to pay. For most folks there will be one or two or more plans that will cover all your meds, pick the best plan for you. Some will have a med or two not covered by different plans. Find the med that you can get the cheapest over the counter or with Good RX and pick the part D plan that covers the rest of your meds. You will have to pick a new drug plan each year. If you Like your current plan, do nothing, and it automatically renews at whatever the new rate will be. If your needs or prescriptions change you can change plans. Very important, make sure that your current meds are covered each year. You may have added or discontinue certain meds. Also, Companies add and subtract drugs from their formulary list each year. Just because company X covered your meds this year there is no guarantee that they will cover them next year.

Additional eye and dental info. Most of these plans have premiums which cost more, or close, to the coverage that they provide. However, you can save money on what the insurance company doesn’t pay by getting the in network price. Have bad teeth or major eye problems, consider more inclusive plans. Fairly healthy, consider basic plans.

Ps. This is the short version which covers most folks. Whole litany of variables depending on individual needs.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064875
01/31/24 04:32 AM
01/31/24 04:32 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Good info Mike C
Was wondering if you know of a plan that will pay/reimburse medical cost over seas, say perhaps Philippines or Thailand.
I read a guy with an advantage plan with Humana got reimbursed medical cost from there. Would that be possible ?
Thanks.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064891
01/31/24 06:04 AM
01/31/24 06:04 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
this really depends on your health, and what drugs you take, I pay 440 a month for insurance, and never get a bill from doctors or hospitals, I have had 3 types of cancer and get scoped every 3 months, and no bills, I can budget for my bills, last checkup was 18 thousand and I never got a bill, last time I was in hospital over night was over 20 thousand and I never got a bill,

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: MTtraps] #8064919
01/31/24 07:36 AM
01/31/24 07:36 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by MTtraps
I have Medicare and a supplement through Mutual of Omaha (plan N ) plus prescription plan through Medicare. It was a real shock when I found you have to pay every month for Medicare, it ain't free and even though I've been paying in to the system since I was 16 (1974) still get to pay but considering that I'm on dialysis and it pays to have it

same

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: yukonjeff] #8064921
01/31/24 07:38 AM
01/31/24 07:38 AM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
Good info Mike C
Was wondering if you know of a plan that will pay/reimburse medical cost over seas, say perhaps Philippines or Thailand.
I read a guy with an advantage plan with Humana got reimbursed medical cost from there. Would that be possible ?
Thanks.

I have Humana and would like to know also.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: yukonjeff] #8064923
01/31/24 07:43 AM
01/31/24 07:43 AM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
Good info Mike C
Thanks.

In Philppines you get cheap medical.....I paid for sons moms c section...about 200 bucks. My bloodtest for cancer check was 11,680 dollars in 2017 in usa and in Philippines I payed 6 bucks for it.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064939
01/31/24 08:06 AM
01/31/24 08:06 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Where do you go to have them help you figure all this Medicare / Insurance / Retirement business out?

The one guy said independent insurance agent... whats that mean? Like find a Mutual of Omaha office / agent?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread