No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: OhioBoy] #8064946
01/31/24 08:17 AM
01/31/24 08:17 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by OhioBoy
Where do you go to have them help you figure all this Medicare / Insurance / Retirement business out?

The one guy said independent insurance agent... whats that mean? Like find a Mutual of Omaha office / agent?

I would say start by going to the closest social security office, they usually have someone who specializes in this stuff. And he/she is not trying to sell you anything. Get the basics from them. Then from there start looking at insurance plans.

That's my strategy for next week since I turn 65 in March.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: OhioBoy] #8064963
01/31/24 08:34 AM
01/31/24 08:34 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Where do you go to have them help you figure all this Medicare / Insurance / Retirement business out?

The one guy said independent insurance agent... whats that mean? Like find a Mutual of Omaha office / agent?

Alot of people do that.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8064966
01/31/24 08:37 AM
01/31/24 08:37 AM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
I went on Medicare last November, A few months before I had a bunch of Insurance agents come to the house to show their stuff. After comparing & going with what's best for me, I went with a Humana advantage plan, with which I get my same Docs, pharmacy & eye coverage. Dentist was not on this plan, but at my age & no cavities yet, I'll be fine. For this plan, It's 87.00 taken out s/s monthly.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8065000
01/31/24 09:05 AM
01/31/24 09:05 AM
pa.
J
jarentz Offline
trapper
jarentz  Offline
trapper
J

pa.
We went to a independent Ins agent. My wife is diabetic and has other health problems.
I have been lucky and no known health problems. The agent set us up with different plans
I have a advantage plan and Part A and B, My wife has A,B,G,and D hers cost about
200.00 more per month than mine.It can be real confusing looking at different plans,
that is why we went to a agent.

jarentz
Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8065022
01/31/24 09:22 AM
01/31/24 09:22 AM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
As mentioned, Advantage plans are offered through independent insurance companies. Just make sure if you go this route that your Dr's are in the network with the company that you sign up with.

There are lists available that show that information or you can call any company representative and ask.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8065058
01/31/24 10:10 AM
01/31/24 10:10 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
We have a program called Shine here I believe it’s through the State but the wife is my HR person so she deals with that stuff. They review your programs every year and see what’s the best prescription coverage for what your meds are.

We have plans through our financial advisor but I’m not happy with the consistent hikes every year but that might be normal maybe others will chime in on that being normal or not.

Don’t blow off Good RX it’s free and saves you money.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: Law Dog] #8065076
01/31/24 10:32 AM
01/31/24 10:32 AM
N.Y. Mid Hudson Valley
T
Tommyran Offline
trapper
Tommyran  Offline
trapper
T

N.Y. Mid Hudson Valley
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Some meds are covered now that were not covered before on Medicare, check out the changes that just took place I just had my meds filled and don't see any charges from the pharmacy.

But I found that several meds I used to take are no longer covered under medicare. However my blood pressure and atorvastatin meds are now free. They were my cheapest meds anyway.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: Tommyran] #8065086
01/31/24 10:40 AM
01/31/24 10:40 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by Tommyran
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Some meds are covered now that were not covered before on Medicare, check out the changes that just took place I just had my meds filled and don't see any charges from the pharmacy.

But I found that several meds I used to take are no longer covered under medicare. However my blood pressure and atorvastatin meds are now free. They were my cheapest meds anyway.

I just checked my bank account I still don’t see where I was charged for my medications from a week ago they must be covered now they were only a few bucks before and Walmart mails them to me for free. I have had great service from Walmart they are a pleasure to deal with.

Looked up my Thrivent coverage it’s under $2,500 a year now.

Last edited by Law Dog; 01/31/24 10:41 AM.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: OhioBoy] #8065175
01/31/24 12:43 PM
01/31/24 12:43 PM
Ohio
M
Mike C Offline
trapper
Mike C  Offline
trapper
M

Ohio
Originally Posted by yukonjeff
Good info Mike C
Was wondering if you know of a plan that will pay/reimburse medical cost over seas, say perhaps Philippines or Thailand.
I read a guy with an advantage plan with Humana got reimbursed medical cost from there. Would that be possible ?
Thanks.

Whatever insurance you go with you will have to ask about your specific situation. As a general rule, Traditional Medicare coverage travels with you. Advantage plans do not. You may get reimbursed for your expenses after you have paid your bills, you may not. Depends on plans, Country you are in and type of procedures you need. Chech all this out prior to purchase and prior to use.

In Ohio there is a State/Federally funded program called O-SHIP. You can contact them. They have people who walk you through the program and concentrate on your specific needs. I would think other states have similar programs. Anyone from other stats have info on that?
This program is free to use. They also put on free seminars around the state for anyone close to retirement.

As mentioned above, as we age we can run up some huge bills 10s and100s of thousands of dollars. Traditional Medicare with a supplement pays 100% of these bills beyond you deductible.

One other hint. Once you are on Medicare and you have a supplement, do not pay any bills until the 2nd or 3rd notice. Feds are slow on paying bills, supplements take a while, communication between the two adds further delay. Usually this occurs at the first of every year until your deductibles are paid.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8065212
01/31/24 01:49 PM
01/31/24 01:49 PM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

I also have Humana...it was them or blue cross for who i wanted. Humana is well rated. I pay 190 a month but everything is covered..even 3500 for hearing aids and dental. I pay no deductable or co pays and they give me back 250 a month to use on otc ,food,,pet care etc.

Re: Retiring and supplement insurance [Re: 1lessdog] #8065589
01/31/24 09:56 PM
01/31/24 09:56 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
Ohioboy this is our guy and what I’d call an independent agent I looked at his website and they must have use a generic builder.

https://www.facebook.com/MuhlenbruchInsurance/

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread