Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
clothing for visiting the Arctic? #8069016
02/04/24 07:40 PM
02/04/24 07:40 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline OP
trapper
white marlin  Offline OP
trapper
W

We will be spending a week or so about 200 miles north of the Arctic Circle in late February of 2025.

looking for clothing and coping recommendations, from the Experts here.

Keep in mind, we'll be flying into the general area, thus clothing needs to be packable.

Advice greatly appreciated!

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8069084
02/04/24 08:43 PM
02/04/24 08:43 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Bunny Boots for starters.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8069210
02/04/24 10:57 PM
02/04/24 10:57 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Is this a top secret mission? Think about heavy clothes like parka insulated snow pants, etc. for times you aren't overly active. Then warm clothes underneath that won't cause you to perspire excessively.
I like quality polyester next to my skin, socks, long john, shirt. Then insulative socks, wool or polyester pants, button up shirt, wool or polyester. Cotton fleece gloves for working with your hands and good mittens when it's below 0.
Bunny boots are probably best for you. I don't like them but they do work. I prefer the green canvas military mukluks. They come up higher on your calf and they breath. You can find them at sportsmans guide.
200 miles north of the circle means you're on the north slope of the Brooks. Likely could see Temps from 50 below to 30 above. Plenty of opportunity for nasty wind. Will you have ability to go inside a heated shelter?
Hey........I bet you're helping film a new episode of Life Below zero!!

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8069373
02/05/24 09:06 AM
02/05/24 09:06 AM
W
white marlin Offline OP
trapper
white marlin  Offline OP
trapper
W

LOL! no, nothing that exotic! Going to experience the northern lights.

so, I'm *thinking* we'll only be outside for a relatively few (four to five) hours at a time. But that's a guess.

My sister is going with us...she currently lives in southern Florida.

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8069421
02/05/24 10:27 AM
02/05/24 10:27 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
You don't have to go north of the arctic circle to see northern lights. Are you planning it yourself or paying an outfitter. We had awesome lights this fall in Fairbanks,
Since winter started almost nothing. There are several outfits here that cater to NL viewers. Look up Chena Hot Springs resort.

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8069521
02/05/24 12:39 PM
02/05/24 12:39 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Bring some pelts to frost scrape.

Who is John Galt?
Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8069605
02/05/24 02:20 PM
02/05/24 02:20 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
I will be in Fairbanks next month for a while, and to the ATA Fling , with JR.

I have Stegers Mukluks, and wore them when the temp was -39 here. They were perfect . I first saw ones like these in EnigmaticGwichin's videos . His are home made, but he sold me on them when he described how well they keep feet warm in all the cold all day that he traps in. Only thing, they aren't for slogging about in water. Here's the link for them. I got the Arctic style. The people who make these (made in USA), will help you order just the right size. Needs to be a little larger than your normal foot size, for the insulation that is in them and good socks. Thought you might like to have a look at these , in case someone going with you might have a tough time finding Bunnies. The Bunnies though, are the choice for wet watery places.

https://www.mukluks.com/

Tell your sis that I was born and raised in S. FLA. Didn't see snow til I was in my early 20's and moved out of there with all my belongings in my truck. No one can pay me to ever live east of the divide and especially south, in that stifling humid heat. The only other state I would move to live in would be Alaska. Other than my Montana , that's it . I knew where nautical North was when I was 6 years old. The only thing I miss from FLA are mangoes.

Your sis can dress right and have a blast. If this deep southern Floridian girl can completely acclimatize to far northern life and absolutely love it, she can too .

Fur is wonderful to have in real cold.

I too, have an "order in " request with JR to see the lights . Though I see them here.

I can't wait to take off next month.

You all will have a blast. Save funding for the flight, etc., and don't look back when you go. Sit on the left side window on the flight there, the other side going back. If you fly at night. To possibly see lights .

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8069645
02/05/24 03:38 PM
02/05/24 03:38 PM
Bush Alaska
victor#0 Offline
trapper
victor#0  Offline
trapper

Bush Alaska
Milsurp if you want to go the cheapest route. The marshmallow pants and jacket are really warm and packable. I use them but I can only wear it when it's subzero or I sweat to much. Wiggies makes some good gear and of course if you want to look like a real Alaskan Apocalypse design in Fairbanks is top notch. I recommend mitts instead of finger gloves and wear a thin pair of wool finger gloves inside. You will need something to cover your face if it's windy, my wife buys polar fleece and makes neck and face warmers. Super easy and cheap. You will want to layer so start with good thermals, milsurp fleece pants and top, then your outer layer. Fur Alaska trapper hats are the best at keeping your noggin warm, I also wear my Apocalypse design mushers hat under my trappers hat or you could just wear a warm knitted had under it. Doesn't hurt to have a tube of chapstick either.

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8069654
02/05/24 03:50 PM
02/05/24 03:50 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
And here I thought all those Artic clothes got returned and end up in the Bargain Cave at a famous outdoor store
along with all the outfitters over buy and the clients never use them stuff

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8069662
02/05/24 03:58 PM
02/05/24 03:58 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Not me, N50 ! I keep my stuff and use it.

Almost forgot, Temple told me that Striker coats and bibs are very good . He likes those. I found a nice coat on sale from them, and wear that often.

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8069759
02/05/24 06:45 PM
02/05/24 06:45 PM
W
white marlin Offline OP
trapper
white marlin  Offline OP
trapper
W

truly appreciate all the great advice!

and I'll tell Sis what you said, Sharon!

we're actually going to Finnish Lapland, for a Bucket List experience.

please keep the advice/links coming...I'm learning from y'all!

Thanks!

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8069961
02/05/24 09:53 PM
02/05/24 09:53 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Lapland!!! Thought you were coming up here. Lapland sounds interesting. Be sure and have some Reindeer steaks!

Sharon, it's one thing for a male to wear bibs in cold temps. For women, extra disrobing is needed to rid the body of excess fluids. As well, it's a problem for men if solids need removing while out in the cold! A parka and snow pants have been my preference. Bibs leave a decent amount of material hanging loose when squatting with risks to that material getting wet, or worse!!

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: martentrapper] #8070000
02/05/24 10:36 PM
02/05/24 10:36 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by martentrapper
Lapland!!! Thought you were coming up here. Lapland sounds interesting. Be sure and have some Reindeer steaks!

Sharon, it's one thing for a male to wear bibs in cold temps. For women, extra disrobing is needed to rid the body of excess fluids. As well, it's a problem for men if solids need removing while out in the cold! A parka and snow pants have been my preference. Bibs leave a decent amount of material hanging loose when squatting with risks to that material getting wet, or worse!!

I don’t wear bibs. I have all that “covered” , pun intended. I mentioned them as part of Temple’s info he shared with me. Actually, the site he mentioned does have bibs made specifically for ladies. I still don’t wear them.

No worries. Thanks , though.

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8070033
02/05/24 11:37 PM
02/05/24 11:37 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Dont forget your speedo for the polar bear dip.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8070041
02/05/24 11:49 PM
02/05/24 11:49 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^^
You don't need a speedo for that in Finland.

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8070046
02/05/24 11:51 PM
02/05/24 11:51 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

There used to be quite a Japanese tourist trade out of Fairbanks to view the aurora borealis. Apparently the Japanese think that conceiving a baby under the northern lights grants the baby a lucky life. At least that's what I was told.

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8070463
02/06/24 02:26 PM
02/06/24 02:26 PM
W
white marlin Offline OP
trapper
white marlin  Offline OP
trapper
W

appreciate all of the great info!

where's the best place to buy new bunny boots? I see ads for used ones...

links to other reasonable places to buy appropriate clothing (besides those already mentioned) appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8070484
02/06/24 03:02 PM
02/06/24 03:02 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by white marlin
appreciate all of the great info!

where's the best place to buy new bunny boots? I see ads for used ones...

links to other reasonable places to buy appropriate clothing (besides those already mentioned) appreciated!

Thanks!

I don't know the best place, but the general consensus is that you want the Bata brand. Your find that there is a place in Fairbanks I believe, that is now making new bunny boots. They look like a great boot, $300.

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8070493
02/06/24 03:17 PM
02/06/24 03:17 PM
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
FL cracker in AK  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Striker Ice is good ice fishing gear, is becoming very popular for snowmachining out in the villages. I'm on my third winter with no holes, rips, blown seems or zippers, and I do 200 mile day trips all the time, log firewood by snowmachine, get a moose, ice fish. The insulation keeps you floating if you go through the ice. The Climate line is warmer, heavier duty than the Predator line.

Psalm 34:6
Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8070497
02/06/24 03:25 PM
02/06/24 03:25 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK

Thanks!

Will that trip include a Lap dance ?

Mean As Nails
Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white17] #8070499
02/06/24 03:38 PM
02/06/24 03:38 PM
W
white marlin Offline OP
trapper
white marlin  Offline OP
trapper
W

Originally Posted by white17

Thanks!

Will that trip include a Lap dance ?

I'll check with my wife. (we will have our own bedroom; so, maybe...)

grin

Last edited by white marlin; 02/06/24 04:25 PM.
Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8070646
02/06/24 08:01 PM
02/06/24 08:01 PM
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
FL cracker in AK  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Also the Climate line of Striker Ice ice fishing gear has removable extra insulation for the both the parka and bibs.

Psalm 34:6
Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8070870
02/06/24 11:27 PM
02/06/24 11:27 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I don't know that you can get new bunny boots, there is a company that is going to make them but is just in the testing stage right now. I believe all you can buy is military surplus. I've never worn them but had some of the black ones years ago. Warmest boots I've ever worn but not good walking boots.

We don't get the cold here that they do up there, but if you can handle wool next to your skin it is hard to beat woolies (wool union suit) for a warm under layer. It got down to -28 here this winter and several days of -20, thats about as cold as it ever gets down here, but I was comfortable in woolies, wool shirt, Filson wool Mackinaw Cruiser and Labonville winter fallers pants. And that was good for hiking, while on the snowmobile I wear a down coat over that, snowmobile gloves and fleece earwarmers under my wool packers hat.

A beard helps keep your face warm, but in really cold weather you will get a lot of ice build up on it from breathing.

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8071224
02/07/24 04:09 PM
02/07/24 04:09 PM
W
white marlin Offline OP
trapper
white marlin  Offline OP
trapper
W

I truly appreciate everyone's input!!

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8071257
02/07/24 05:11 PM
02/07/24 05:11 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Well you have plenty of time to plan and save.

One thing I think of too, are the right suitcases to have your things in. After traveling a lot myself, I've honed down to some pretty good ways of organizing my things.

They have travel zip up small bags that fold in half, with a small coat hanger hook at the top, that hold all my things for easy bathroom use. They are wonderful for not taking up any space in a bathroom. Or a need for a shelf or medicine cabinet. Just hang the hook on top of anything, a door, or a towel hook, and I have my makeup, brushes, creams, shampoo and conditioner, toothbrush , everything, right there organized and tucked neatly in my small bag. That, in turn, Packs neatly in my suitcase. You never need to worry about taking up space again. On a trip such as yours, in a small group setting of travelers, these things are invaluable. Or even traveling alone, for me, this is a perfect setup.

[Linked Image]

A good safe suitcase would be in order too. Ive never owned a hard case, but got one finally. It is perfect to hold everything I want with nice storage room . It would be a checked bag , the size I have, but so worth it . A hard case also allows you to lock it with TSA combo locks if you want. I roll up my clothes , which makes no wrinkles and compacts better in the compartments.

[Linked Image]

Finally, I really like the hands-free backpacks. Got one of those with all kinds of pockets for laptop, etc., and special pockets that are on the back, up against you , that are inaccessible from the outside , when you have to have your wallet, money, keys, etc, off your person for the TSA checks.

You probably know a lot of these things , so apologies for the reminders. I just wished someone would have shared with me long ago so I wouldn't have gone so long in learning. It's just when your traveling methods are very compact and organized, you feel so good at living out of them along the way.

Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8071319
02/07/24 06:54 PM
02/07/24 06:54 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Lots of us up here wear FXR clothing. I have the ice pro pants and theyre the warmest ive ever used. Steger mukluks are also very warm in dry conditions but offer no effective waterproofing. Very warm though when paired with wool socks.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: clothing for visiting the Arctic? [Re: white marlin] #8071867
02/08/24 01:01 PM
02/08/24 01:01 PM
W
white marlin Offline OP
trapper
white marlin  Offline OP
trapper
W

Thanks for all the great info...much appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman