Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Searching for a book #8092774
03/05/24 01:26 AM
03/05/24 01:26 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline OP
trapper
Teacher  Offline OP
trapper

Rochester, MN
I caught my first canine in a snare set for coon this last November. It was a complete surprise. The snare functioned flawlessly. The fox was alive. There was so little damage to the snare that I reset it further down the trail and caught a coon in it. Then it was toast!

This trail was in chest tall marsh grass and it was well worn. I took another dozen coon from similar trails around this marsh but no more fox. What I need to be able to find are fox trails on which to snare and I just don’t know how to identify them.

Can anyone suggest a book or video that will help me identify fox trails?

Last edited by Teacher; 03/06/24 12:41 AM. Reason: Change of thoughts

Never too old to learn
Re: Searching for a book [Re: Teacher] #8092785
03/05/24 02:34 AM
03/05/24 02:34 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Fox and a lot of other animals use all kinds of trails.look for tracks then you will know which animals are using which trails.If game animals like deer are using the trails,be aware of that and set accordingly or not.
You can make animals use trails using bait,lure or diversion.
Use a kill stick then your animals wont be alive in the snare and wont wreck the trail.
If you have trapper education in your state they should have a trapping manual to teach you how to make standard sets and identify locations and a biology profile of your furbearers.

Last edited by Boco; 03/05/24 02:38 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Searching for a book [Re: Teacher] #8092788
03/05/24 03:27 AM
03/05/24 03:27 AM
minn
F
fossil2 Offline
trapper
fossil2  Offline
trapper
F

minn
dynamite snares and snaring by tom krause goes into detail on making false trails and sucking fox into them. his methods are killer on red fox. its a must read for what youre trying to do.

Re: Searching for a book [Re: Teacher] #8092987
03/05/24 11:18 AM
03/05/24 11:18 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline OP
trapper
Teacher  Offline OP
trapper

Rochester, MN
Boco,

I’ve been trapping for 55 years but only snaring for a few. My fox trapping has been limited to baited/lured sets so being spot-on location hasn’t been the issue. But looking at a slight parting of the grass instead of a well-worn trail has me stymied.

Never too old to learn
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91