No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Roots Tech on Family Search #8095850
03/09/24 02:39 AM
03/09/24 02:39 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
KeithC Offline OP
trapper
Happy Birthday KeithC  Offline OP
trapper

Champaign County, Ohio.
I like the genealogy site www.familysearch.org. It's very useful.and has literal billions of records on it including censuses, church records, tax records, wills, deeds, land grants, military records and more. I've posted on it here before.

A few times a year they run a Roots Tech program where tens of thousands of people collaborate. They always send you teasers showing famous relatives of yours to motivate you to take part. Usually celebrities, presidents, royals, inventors and explorers.

Some of the relatives they tell you about are surprising. I laughed when they just told me I was related to Bob Ross of happy little tree fame.

Here's the current 12 they sent me.

"Susan B. Anthony
My 7th cousin six times removed

Susan B. Anthony
USA

American civil rights and women’s rights activist; leader in the women’s suffrage movement.

View Relationship

Abraham Lincoln
My 9th cousin five times removed

Abraham Lincoln
USA

16th US president, in office during the US Civil War; issued the Emancipation Proclamation.

View Relationship

Elvis Presley
My 9th cousin once removed

Elvis Presley
USA

This American singer and actor became a worldwide sensation known as the “King of Rock and Roll.”

View Relationship

Emily Dickinson

Emily Dickinson
USA

Early American poet from Massachusets and an important figure in American poetry.

View Relationship

Ginger Rogers
My 9th cousin once removed

Ginger Rogers
USA

American actress, dancer, and singer known for her partnership with Fred Astaire in classic Hollywood musicals.

View Relationship

Helen Keller

Helen Keller
USA

Famous American author, disability rights advocate, and political activist who was born both deaf and blind.

View Relationship

John Wayne
My 9th cousin four times removed

John Wayne
USA

American actor famous during the golden age of Hollywood; known for his role in western and war films.

View Relationship

Wilbur Wright

Wilbur Wright
USA

American inventor; designed, built, and flew the first airplane with his brother Orville.

View Relationship

Bob Ross
My 10th cousin twice removed

Bob Ross
USA

Remembered as an American painter, art instructor, and television host.

View Relationship

Dwight D. Eisenhower
My 10th cousin four times removed

Dwight D. Eisenhower
USA

The 34th US president. Best known for his military contributions during World War II.

View Relationship

Franklin D. Roosevelt
My 10th cousin three times removed

Franklin D. Roosevelt
USA

32nd President of the United States, in office during the Great Depression and World War II.

View Relationship

Fred Rogers
My 10th cousin twice removed

Fred Rogers
USA

Notable American television host of the TV series Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.

View Relationship

Muhammad Ali
My 10th cousin three times removed

Muhammad Ali
USA

American professional boxer, activist, and philanthropist. Widely considered the greatest boxer of all time.

View Relationship

Walt Disney
My 10th cousin four times removed

Walt Disney
USA

American animator, film producer, and business pioneer in family friendly entertainment.

View Relationship

Grace Kelly
My 11th cousin twice removed

Grace Kelly
USA

American actress who became Princess Grace of Monaco after marrying Prince Rainier III.

View Relationship

Lucille Ball
My 11th cousin twice removed

Lucille Ball
USA

American comedienne, producer, star of “I Love Lucy,” and a pioneer in the television industry.

View Relationship

Winston Churchill
My 11th cousin three times removed

Winston Churchill
UK

Prime minister of the United Kingdom during World War II. Known for his inspirational speeches.

View Relationship

Judy Garland
My 12th cousin twice removed

Judy Garland
USA

Beloved American actress and singer, famous for her role as Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz.

View Relationship

Queen Elizabeth II
My 12th cousin twice removed

Queen Elizabeth II
UK

Ruled for over 50 years, guiding the UK and other realms through significant social and political change.

View Relationship

Princess Diana
My 13th cousin

Princess Diana
UK

Thrust into public life by marrying Prince Charles, she become widely known for her style and activism."

They have been telling me 12 relatives every few days and have more on their site. Johnny Carson, George Carlin, Robin Williams, Martin Luther and all the presidents are relatives. Likely almost everyone on Trapperman is traceably related too.

Classius Clay, Mohamed Ali, and I are both descended from John Smith, who was saved by Pochahontas, and many others of the first US settlers of Jamestown in 1607. My 11th great grandmother, Joanne Pierce, Ali's aunt, married Pochahontas's husband John Rolfe, after Pochahontas's death. They owned the first commercial tobacco farm in the World. We are descended from her earlier husband. Our many great grandfather British Admiral, Sir John Hawkins started the triangle slave trade, brought the first African slaves to the New World and brought the first tobacco to Europe. He was also the richest man in the world, an international spy, the first Pirate of the Caribbean, the first cousin and life long companion of Admiral, Sir Francis Drake and a bar room brawler, who killed a man with a punch. Another many great grandfather of ours, Captain William Pierce, owned some of the first slaves in the US.

If you are interested in genealogy you should check out www.familysearch.org It's free, informative and entertaining.

Keith

Re: Roots Tech on Family Search [Re: KeithC] #8095867
03/09/24 06:18 AM
03/09/24 06:18 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Entertaining is the main thing.....lol

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Roots Tech on Family Search [Re: KeithC] #8095968
03/09/24 09:39 AM
03/09/24 09:39 AM
Nevada
YamaCat Offline
trapper
YamaCat  Offline
trapper

Nevada
Wow , they didn’t forget many.

Re: Roots Tech on Family Search [Re: KeithC] #8095980
03/09/24 09:50 AM
03/09/24 09:50 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
KeithC, to do the ancestor search how much personal information do you have to give the site for them to do the free Family Tree?

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Roots Tech on Family Search [Re: snowy] #8095997
03/09/24 10:01 AM
03/09/24 10:01 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by snowy
KeithC, to do the ancestor search how much personal information do you have to give the site for them to do the free Family Tree?

You basically enter your name and date of birth....link to your parents amd maybe grandparents and it goes from there.

Re: Roots Tech on Family Search [Re: snowy] #8096247
03/09/24 02:19 PM
03/09/24 02:19 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
KeithC Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Champaign County, Ohio.

Family Search has the the records of almost everyone, who has died, in the Western World, shortly after their death. Everyone gets a designation of letters and numbers. You just search the first and last names, a place connected to the person and the approximate birth or death date. You don't have to give them anymore than your name and birth date, to set up an account.

They never try to sell you anything.

Some of the documents available our amazing. They have entire journals from some sea captains I am descended from. They have journals from some of my many great grandparents from when they took wagon trains west. They have the original deeds to a great many of my ancestors properties.

Keith

Re: Roots Tech on Family Search [Re: KeithC] #8096256
03/09/24 02:30 PM
03/09/24 02:30 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by KeithC

Family Search has the the records of almost everyone, who has died, in the Western World, shortly after their death. Everyone gets a designation of letters and numbers. You just search the first and last names, a place connected to the person and the approximate birth or death date. You don't have to give them anymore than your name and birth date, to set up an account.

They never try to sell you anything.

Some of the documents available our amazing. They have entire journals from some sea captains I am descended from. They have journals from some of my many great grandparents from when they took wagon trains west. They have the original deeds to a great many of my ancestors properties.

Keith

Thank You! I will give it a try later on. Does result coming right away or do you get them later?

Thanks

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Roots Tech on Family Search [Re: KeithC] #8096260
03/09/24 02:40 PM
03/09/24 02:40 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Its all available on a phone app.

Re: Roots Tech on Family Search [Re: KeithC] #8096280
03/09/24 03:16 PM
03/09/24 03:16 PM
Southeast Ohio
amspoker Offline
trapper
amspoker  Offline
trapper

Southeast Ohio
Thanks for posting this Keith, it helped me to solve a mystery.

We have three brothers who all served in WW2 buried in the local cemetery. The stone states that a fourth brother was buried in the Netherlands. I was able to find him using the site.

According to link I shared, he was a member of the 310th Infantry, 78th Infantry Division. He died in late 1944 while taking part in the Rollesbroich Engagement.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56298549/paul-evanchuck

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by amspoker; 03/09/24 03:20 PM.

Levi
Re: Roots Tech on Family Search [Re: amspoker] #8096281
03/09/24 03:18 PM
03/09/24 03:18 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
KeithC Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by amspoker
Thanks for posting this Keith, it helped me to solve a mystery.

We have three brothers who all served in WW2 buried in the local cemetery. The stone states that a fourth brother was buried in the Netherlands. I was able to find him using the site.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56298549/paul-evanchuck

You're very welcome.

This page can help you find WWII service records.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Finding_a_World_War_II_(1939-1945)_Veteran%27s_Records

Keith

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread