Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Adding to the line and I'd like some opinions #8099774
03/14/24 08:25 PM
03/14/24 08:25 PM
OH
F
Foot Tickler Offline OP
trapper
Foot Tickler  Offline OP
trapper
F

OH
Hey I'm looking for a little advice from those veteran coil spring guys out there. I've been trapping probably a dozen years or so, mainly snares, DPs, and coil springs, but have really been hitting it hard these last few years. My focus was primarily yotes and nest raiders. The coil springs I've always used are Bridger #3s, offset jaws, laminated, 4 coil, dogless. I have zero complaints from my 12 years with them in terms of reliability and their ability to hold even the feistiest yotes they've made contact with. However, in the last couple years I acquired a farm that is also pretty populated with red fox, gray fox, and bobcats. My sets are a mix of flats and dirtholes but made for yotes. I've been catching the foxes and bobcats in these sets as well which I'm perfectly happy with, however this leads me to my question. I am looking to add to the line for next year and purchase a couple dozen more traps, but I'm trying to be "friendlier" to the foxes and smaller bobcats. Please PM for more details on my issues, but I'm wondering if you guys don't have another trap you may recommend that would meet this "friendlier" criteria better. I'd really like to stick with a similar jaw size, and I like the 4 coil for the freezing weather I'm usually trapping in, and I like the dogless setup. I know that Bridger, Freedom Brand, and no BS all make a similar trap to the Bridger #3s, do any of you have experience with them? Or is there maybe something in my trap setup that would help with what I'm already running? I haven't done any further modifications to the ones I have but I did order another set of swivels to install mid chain swivels to them in a couple weeks. Sorry for the lengthy post but I thought a little background might help. Again, please feel free to PM me if there is any discussion that might fall out of public thread rules. Thank you!

Re: Adding to the line and I'd like some opinions [Re: Foot Tickler] #8099793
03/14/24 08:42 PM
03/14/24 08:42 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
I use Bridger #3 also and really like the trap. I outside laminated mine and that made a big difference on the fox and cats. The thing is I wouldn't be afraid of going to a #2. I use them in the fox areas if there is much of a chance of catching coyote but the #2 will hold a coyote just fine. I use the #3 just because it has a little more reach when we get snow over the sets.

Re: Adding to the line and I'd like some opinions [Re: backroadsarcher] #8099811
03/14/24 09:22 PM
03/14/24 09:22 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
I use Bridger #3 also and really like the trap. I outside laminated mine and that made a big difference on the fox and cats. The thing is I wouldn't be afraid of going to a #2. I use them in the fox areas if there is much of a chance of catching coyote but the #2 will hold a coyote just fine. I use the #3 just because it has a little more reach when we get snow over the sets.

After reading your post I'd suggest the same. If you're happy with the #3 Bridgers I'd think you'd get along real well with the #2 Bridgers set up in the same manner as the 3's you are used to. It should be an easy adjustment for you. I wouldn't be surprised if you liked them really well.

Re: Adding to the line and I'd like some opinions [Re: Foot Tickler] #8099812
03/14/24 09:23 PM
03/14/24 09:23 PM
Northwest, Kansas
Flatlander94 Offline
trapper
Flatlander94  Offline
trapper

Northwest, Kansas
I would get the #2 dogless laminated four coiled from Bridger then. I've got no issues holding coyotes in the #2 and #3's.

"Conservation is not merely a thing to be enshrined in outdoor museums, but a way of living on land."

-Aldo Leopold

Re: Adding to the line and I'd like some opinions [Re: Foot Tickler] #8100766
03/16/24 08:17 AM
03/16/24 08:17 AM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
I agree with flatlander. Love my cast #2 Bridgers. The third swivel makes a significant difference. One of the reasons I use shorter chains as well. I respect your desire to fine tune your set-up.

Praise the Lord and Pass the ammunition.
Re: Adding to the line and I'd like some opinions [Re: Foot Tickler] #8100871
03/16/24 10:38 AM
03/16/24 10:38 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Bridger makes a cast jawed , dogless number 2 ?

I will have to check into this, sounds interesting.

Re: Adding to the line and I'd like some opinions [Re: Foot Tickler] #8101093
03/16/24 05:10 PM
03/16/24 05:10 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
Up to the time a few years ago when the bottom fell out of the coyote market, I used two different traps with equally good results. The MB550 offset in 2-coil and the Montana #3. Both have a jaw face that is easier on the foot because the jaw face is wider (MB) and it is rounded (Montana). I liked the fact that these jaw faces didn’t cut into to feet the way my friend’s 4-coil Bridgers did. The MB and Montanas caused no foot damage to fox and coyotes

Never too old to learn
Re: Adding to the line and I'd like some opinions [Re: Golf ball] #8101436
03/17/24 01:37 AM
03/17/24 01:37 AM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
Originally Posted by Golf ball
Bridger makes a cast jawed , dogless number 2 ?

I will have to check into this, sounds interesting.

Not dog less. Pit pan though.

Praise the Lord and Pass the ammunition.
Re: Adding to the line and I'd like some opinions [Re: Coyote Clayton] #8103761
03/19/24 08:53 PM
03/19/24 08:53 PM
OH
F
Foot Tickler Offline OP
trapper
Foot Tickler  Offline OP
trapper
F

OH
Hey I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that provided your insight and advice, I appreciate you taking the time to help out a fellow trapper. I'm gonna get my traps ordered this week hopefully so I can get a head start on all my mods and have everything put away and ready for next season!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91