Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Keeping geese out of the footholds #8106283
03/23/24 10:41 AM
03/23/24 10:41 AM
MT
1Simplemann Offline OP
trapper
1Simplemann  Offline OP
trapper

MT
New here. Rookie trapper as well. 1st post. I'm trapping a series of islands via boat. Beavers are raising heck on the mainland on my friends property. They are thick. Must be 20 of them. The other landowners are having the same issues. They want them gone. I volunteered. Anyway, The lodges are on the islands. Problem is there are geese are nesting up high up and down the bank. They are everywhere. Right now I have 330's set under water on the runs in 3 lodges. Got 9 so far. There are several castor mounds and slides up and down the banks. Ideal spots for drowning sets. However As soon I set a foothold, I know one of them is going walk on the bank and get in there. This is a very visible location. I don't want some ""Karen from across the river seeing it nor do I want to catch one. I put one foothold under a tree w/ branches on both sides of it. The geese don't seem to go in there. Got 2 beavers and a coon there. Is there a way to set a foothold to keep a goose from getting in a trap?

Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: 1Simplemann] #8106297
03/23/24 10:52 AM
03/23/24 10:52 AM
ne iowa
R
roztocki Offline
trapper
roztocki  Offline
trapper
R

ne iowa
When a beaver bumps his chest at your set it will drop its legs. Go for a back foot catch. When I want to avoid non targets I set back 15-18’ inches and about elbow deep. You will have no problem catching beaver.

Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: roztocki] #8106375
03/23/24 01:02 PM
03/23/24 01:02 PM
Alaska
M
milkcrate Offline
trapper
milkcrate  Offline
trapper
M

Alaska
MB750 elbow deep at a castor mound has been a killer combination for me. Pencil sized sticks poking out from the bank can prompt the beaver to drop the back feet into the trap. Be sure to offset the trap to where a back foot will drop. Shouldn’t have to worry about geese that deep.

Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: 1Simplemann] #8106631
03/23/24 09:44 PM
03/23/24 09:44 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
Dates or cable restraints at slides and castor mounds put them on drowner slides

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: 1Simplemann] #8106688
03/23/24 11:11 PM
03/23/24 11:11 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Be careful with beaver snares and geese. Geese are easily caught in snares, although in most cases they just knock the snare down - its that one that comes through with head held low that will be the one in 15 causing you to get a good splashing while you send it back to its flock. With my setup the geese are not harmed, and they are relatively easy to release in general. But it is not a scene you want in a customer’s yard or in a public area. Even though it is not dangerous for the goose it looks bad.
Footholds around geese are common in my world, and agree 100% with the above advice - set deep for back foot. I like about 10” deep, that is still shallow enough that a beaver will plop a back foot right down, but geese and ducks wont try to stand up at that depth. They just swim right over it.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: 1Simplemann] #8106803
03/24/24 08:38 AM
03/24/24 08:38 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Great advice by loosanarrrow.....geese, ducks and don't forget the swans can ruin a guys day. Unfortunately, they are every where. My advice, take info posted here and check traps in those people areas early in the am.

Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: 1Simplemann] #8106839
03/24/24 09:52 AM
03/24/24 09:52 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Herons have longer legs, just saying.

[Linked Image]
Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: 1Simplemann] #8106878
03/24/24 10:56 AM
03/24/24 10:56 AM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
No non targets

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: loosanarrow] #8106880
03/24/24 10:59 AM
03/24/24 10:59 AM
MT
1Simplemann Offline OP
trapper
1Simplemann  Offline OP
trapper

MT
Thank you. I was thinking that I need to set them deeper. Just didn't know how deep. I would've thought 10" would be too deep. I was gonna jam a couple sticks on each side parallel w/ the water line too keep them from walking down the bank. Thought that affect the beaver also.

Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: MChewk] #8106883
03/24/24 11:03 AM
03/24/24 11:03 AM
MT
1Simplemann Offline OP
trapper
1Simplemann  Offline OP
trapper

MT
Agreed. Don't want any of non targets. I saw a swan yesterday in the area. That would be bad. Been checking at sunrise before work.

Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: 1Simplemann] #8106886
03/24/24 11:08 AM
03/24/24 11:08 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I would consider snares where a possibility of non targets exists.

[Linked Image]
Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: 1Simplemann] #8106935
03/24/24 12:54 PM
03/24/24 12:54 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Herons - my method is to shove an angled stick in so the top of the stick is about 2 feet above the surface of the water, and the end of the stick is just plumb over the far edge of the trap. Beaver will go under, and often even rear up to sniff the stick. After the ones that do that are done doing that, if they aren’t caught in the process, they typically proceed with working the set. Herons do not like to walk under anything that makes them duck (see what I did there?? cool) and will walk around the stick. So far this method has been 100% for me for about 5 years since I started doing it in spots that herons like to hang out. I have a whole folder on my computer of herons walking around the stick in this type setup and then later a beaver being caught. Even have one where a heron catches and eats a minnow then minutes later a beaver shows up and the heron leaves and the beaver is caught. Middle of the night too, herons can hunt fish at night apparently.

No non targets! It is a mantra in my business because I would not last long in my region if customers see collateral damage. Sometimes I pass on a location if I think the risk is too high. I think it is important to be able discuss techniques for avoiding non targets. But if that is not acceptable to the mods then hopefully they will delete anything out of line.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: loosanarrow] #8106970
03/24/24 01:56 PM
03/24/24 01:56 PM
MT
1Simplemann Offline OP
trapper
1Simplemann  Offline OP
trapper

MT
Originally Posted by loosanarrow
Herons - my method is to shove an angled stick in so the top of the stick is about 2 feet above the surface of the water, and the end of the stick is just plumb over the far edge of the trap. Beaver will go under, and often even rear up to sniff the stick. After the ones that do that are done doing that, if they aren’t caught in the process, they typically proceed with working the set. Herons do not like to walk under anything that makes them duck (see what I did there?? cool) and will walk around the stick. So far this method has been 100% for me for about 5 years since I started doing it in spots that herons like to hang out. I have a whole folder on my computer of herons walking around the stick in this type setup and then later a beaver being caught. Even have one where a heron catches and eats a minnow then minutes later a beaver shows up and the heron leaves and the beaver is caught. Middle of the night too, herons can hunt fish at night apparently.

No non targets! It is a mantra in my business because I would not last long in my region if customers see collateral damage. Sometimes I pass on a location if I think the risk is too high. I think it is important to be able discuss techniques for avoiding non targets. But if that is not acceptable to the mods then hopefully they will delete anything out of line.

Haven't seen one around but I'll keep an eye out. Usually see them here in the summer. I was thinking of putting a stick over the trap as well.

Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: loosanarrow] #8106971
03/24/24 02:02 PM
03/24/24 02:02 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by loosanarrow

Well, learn something new everyday. THANKS

[Linked Image]
Re: Keeping geese out of the footholds [Re: 1Simplemann] #8107303
03/24/24 11:47 PM
03/24/24 11:47 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
I also have video of ducks and geese bobbing right under the stick, but for some reason herons always walk around. So far anyway.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91