No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Nevada Moose, Wyoming Elk #8107004
03/24/24 02:37 PM
03/24/24 02:37 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline OP
trapper
martentrapper  Offline OP
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Moose moving into and reproducing in NE Nv. Hunting season coming soon. Maybe 3 permits. State can't figure out why they are doing so well. Could it be a lack of large predators? No or few wolves. Mt. Lion maybe preying on calves but apparently not much. Bears? Also lack of any habitat with deep snow like we get here in Alaksa and northern parts.
https://apnews.com/article/moose-hu...science-0d935b67e0462831410a6e30116db0c2
Wyoming working towards unlimted cow/calf permits in some areas. Private land only likely. What I read didn't say res. only, but that would be my assumption. Herds have grown and causing ranch/farm problems it says. Again, google it if your interested. Can't find a link at this time.

Re: Nevada Moose, Wyoming Elk [Re: martentrapper] #8107011
03/24/24 02:53 PM
03/24/24 02:53 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
They'll need to get the private landowners on board with access permission. They (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) about deer and elk then let no one on the property. Same in many other states.

Re: Nevada Moose, Wyoming Elk [Re: martentrapper] #8107095
03/24/24 06:05 PM
03/24/24 06:05 PM
Wyoming
T
ttzt Offline
trapper
ttzt  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
At a recent Wyoming Game & Fish meeting they discussed the unlimited tags and said they planned for them to be for residents and non-residents.

Re: Nevada Moose, Wyoming Elk [Re: martentrapper] #8107099
03/24/24 06:12 PM
03/24/24 06:12 PM
Wyoming
E
E.J. Kelley Offline
trapper
E.J. Kelley  Offline
trapper
E

Wyoming
Seem as though in some areas, the elk are being pushed further out of the mountains and into lower more open country with increasing pressure from wolves. Plus the elk like to eat corn and alfalfa and are causing crop damage. Yes 3togo is correct about the ones that complain about crop damage and let no one in to help thin the herds. I see this in the larger corporate ranches.

Re: Nevada Moose, Wyoming Elk [Re: martentrapper] #8107133
03/24/24 07:27 PM
03/24/24 07:27 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Being a landowner, Im against the unlimited permits and ashamed of the game and fish for entertaining this, as the permits MAY be sold by landowners and access will sure be sold and it wont be cheap. The bill as I last heard is not finalized ranchers all ready get paid for property damage cause by wildlife which is fine if reasonable access is allowed to disperse animals. The old ranchers are mostly gone and most now look at wildlife as another cash crop. I guess I still believe that the wildlife belongs to all the people and not just a few.

Re: Nevada Moose, Wyoming Elk [Re: danvee] #8107268
03/24/24 10:28 PM
03/24/24 10:28 PM
Iowa
S
Squirt Offline
trapper
Squirt  Offline
trapper
S

Iowa
Thank you for the memories Danvee I can remember sitting in a sheep wagon along Shirley Rim overlooking Bates Hole with the actual rancher that was grazing his sheep not just a hired hand he was able to punch a hole in his flour sack and to make biscuits on his wood stove his horse was fond of watermelon so we would bring up one ,1/2 for him The rest for us As I get older I just can’t believe how lucky I was to be able to roam Wyoming and some of Montana see that country and meet some of those people It’s truly a way of life disappearing forever Now all you see to the south is wind turbines

Re: Nevada Moose, Wyoming Elk [Re: martentrapper] #8107371
03/25/24 06:49 AM
03/25/24 06:49 AM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
E.J. and danvee,

Back in the '80's I bow hunted Colorado several times for elk. Came really close to putting one on the ground but no cigar.

In the early 90's I started hunting Wyoming. All public except the first antelope hunt. I do agree with danvee about unlimited permits. And I also think cow tags should at least be discounted some to encourage better management of cow elk in problem areas.

At my age, 73 this fall, I would gladly include a reasonable trespass fee to have the opportunity to harvest at least one elk in my lifetime.

I have 8 antelope points and have no idea when I will even draw a tag for that. As you folks know, 10-12years ago a person could buy leftover tags even for public land. It's kind of gotten out of control.

Wonder how many other old guys are in the same mind set.

Re: Nevada Moose, Wyoming Elk [Re: martentrapper] #8107430
03/25/24 08:45 AM
03/25/24 08:45 AM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Squirt that must have been a while back and a lot has changed dont see many sheep herds any more no money in it since the wool incentives left. You are right about Wy. and Mt. changing though and faster each year. A lot of folks with big money moving in wanting to get a way from the city but they bring all the city attitudes and lack of values. As far as the elk hunting 3togo the cow permits are reduced in price but selling them to ranchers for the proposed $20 dollars and letting them resell them or charge big access fees will not solve the problem. Also our game and fish is mostly funded off sportsman dollars which I feel is good, it keeps some of the politics out of the decision on how to manage. Plenty of public lands in Wy and a license fees are a small part of the hunt cost. The biggest challenge you will face is physically hunting and getting your elk back to the table.

Re: Nevada Moose, Wyoming Elk [Re: danvee] #8107597
03/25/24 12:51 PM
03/25/24 12:51 PM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Originally Posted by danvee
Being a landowner, Im against the unlimited permits and ashamed of the game and fish for entertaining this, as the permits MAY be sold by landowners and access will sure be sold and it wont be cheap. The bill as I last heard is not finalized ranchers all ready get paid for property damage cause by wildlife which is fine if reasonable access is allowed to disperse animals. The old ranchers are mostly gone and most now look at wildlife as another cash crop. I guess I still believe that the wildlife belongs to all the people and not just a few.

Better than Landowner tags that they wanted.
Curious if you are in the Iron Mountain area or further East ?
This issues is the result of a few LOs back in the day trying to build herds for trophy bull elk. Some ranches allowed no hunting and provide sanctuary for the elk during seasons. WG&F has been trying to get a handle on this herd but without LO help it will keep getting bigger.
We need more access but I am in favor of the unlimited tags for those with access.
We work for a rancher in this area and he even now says we have too many elk when just a couple of years ago he thought cow tags were too high priced, I pointed out there is no access- he doesn't allow it either, just family and ourselves. No elk problems though on his property.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread