ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Snake- Snake treatment #812319
07/31/08 03:28 PM
07/31/08 03:28 PM
The Woodlands,Texas
TRAPPERTX Offline OP
trapper
TRAPPERTX  Offline OP
trapper

The Woodlands,Texas
What's the best treatment for a yard with a few snake sightings....unknown type.

Re: Snake treatment [Re: TRAPPERTX] #812378
07/31/08 04:10 PM
07/31/08 04:10 PM
Monterey,VA
H
hilandcooner Offline
trapper
hilandcooner  Offline
trapper
H

Monterey,VA
Other than a 12ga try moth balls around the perimeter and around anything inside it to get rid of any that might be around. Works for me.

Re: Snake treatment [Re: hilandcooner] #812503
07/31/08 06:05 PM
07/31/08 06:05 PM
Mojave Desert, AZ & CA
L
Latrans Offline
trapper
Latrans  Offline
trapper
L

Mojave Desert, AZ & CA
Long term control-get rid of the rodents or other food base around. Short term control-Dr. T's Snake Away, the active ingredient is sulfur and naphlalene (moth balls). Doesnt work for more than a few days in warmth or humid conditions though.

Re: Snake treatment [Re: Latrans] #812770
07/31/08 08:14 PM
07/31/08 08:14 PM
The Woodlands,Texas
TRAPPERTX Offline OP
trapper
TRAPPERTX  Offline OP
trapper

The Woodlands,Texas
Yea that's my plan to start....I thought I had read something about King snake scent that may help?

Re: Snake treatment [Re: TRAPPERTX] #812851
07/31/08 08:34 PM
07/31/08 08:34 PM
Mojave Desert, AZ & CA
L
Latrans Offline
trapper
Latrans  Offline
trapper
L

Mojave Desert, AZ & CA
Yeah, King snakes eat other snakes. Let me check my scent bottles though.....nope no king snake scent there.

Re: Snake treatment [Re: Latrans] #813117
07/31/08 10:32 PM
07/31/08 10:32 PM
Ohio
M
Mike Dwyer Offline
trapper
Mike Dwyer  Offline
trapper
M

Ohio
Brian,

Is the snake problem in your yard or the yard of a paying customer? I ask because that's important to know before you go throwing "mothballs" around. Mothballs are an EPA registered pesticide. Nowhere on the mothball label will you find directions on how to use it for snakes or how to apply it around the perimeter of a house. Not following the label directions of an EPA reigistered pesticide even around your own home is a violation of Federal law. Not following the label around a paying customer's home is an even bigger violation of Federal and State law as well. And it gets even worse if you are applying a pesticide, including "mothballs", for a paying customer and you are not a licensed pesticide applicator.

Dr. T's Snake-A-Way is an EPA registered pesticide. It is labeled for certain species of snakes with directions on how and where to apply it. You really should know what kind(s) of snakes you are dealing with before you apply Snake-A-Way becasie it may not even work on the snakes you have. You need a pesticide applicator's license to commercially apply Snake-A-Way and all other EPA registered pesticides. One of the active ingredients in Snake-A-Way is napthalene, which is also the active ingredient in SOME mothballs, but not all. Some mothballs have the active ingredient paradichlorobenzene which is NOT registered for use as a snake or other wild animal repellent. The possibility of misusing paradichlorobenzene is yet another reason why the advice to use "mothballs" is just bad advice.

You need to be careful using napthalene inside of a buidling. First off, I don't believe Dr. T's is labeled for indoor use so by doing so we're back to the whole not following the label violation of Federal law thing. Second, some individuals, particularly of Mediterranean descent are genetically predisposed to being so sensitive to naphthalene that they are at risk of developing toxic blood poisoning from exposure to it. Rendering some poor customer's house unliveable because of using napthalene mothballs or Snake-A-Way inside of it would be a real expensive mistake.

Bottom line is this....always use a product that is labeled for the species and location you intend to apply it and only on your own property unless you are a fully licensed and insured commercial pesticide applicator in which case you can charge others for the service.

Mike Dwyer, President
Critter Control, Inc.
"Protecting People, Property & Wildlife"

Discover 'Animal Facts,' have fun with 'Animal Trivia,' and send 'Critter Cards' FREE at http://www.crittercontrol.com

Re: Snake treatment [Re: Mike Dwyer] #813715
08/01/08 12:45 PM
08/01/08 12:45 PM
southern maryland
cody18 Offline
trapper
cody18  Offline
trapper

southern maryland
git a cat they kill rodents we always had snakes aorund before we got some barn cats now there arent snakes around here

I buy old .22 rifles,chainsaws and welders
Re: Snake treatment [Re: cody18] #814712
08/02/08 01:42 AM
08/02/08 01:42 AM
The Woodlands,Texas
TRAPPERTX Offline OP
trapper
TRAPPERTX  Offline OP
trapper

The Woodlands,Texas
I am fully Lic here in Texas....I don't think I'll use any chems....instead I'm going to do clean up and maybe a fence exclusion. Thanks for the advise.

Re: Snake treatment [Re: TRAPPERTX] #816647
08/03/08 01:33 PM
08/03/08 01:33 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Whenever approaching any pest problem always take into consideration these three things : {By eliminating one or more of these below will have the best effect on the target pest and an actual solution to the problem.

1]food
2]water
3]habitat

Resolving that customers problem goes beyond the use of any chemicals in my opinion. Snake A Way may have a immediate effect but until you address the attraction of the snakes whether its a nearby food supply or a ideal habitat the problem will in most cases come back.

I always recommend changing the environment or habitat modification and in the case of snakes denying them a place to hide from their own predators like raptors and other large birds.Cutting and keeping grass short, removing items in the landscape that give them refuge etc.

Find that food supply and they will need to find a new local. By doing snake proofing or the exclusion you will be speeding up the the correction and addressing the real problem. Good luck!

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Snake treatment [Re: Robb Russell] #816836
08/03/08 04:21 PM
08/03/08 04:21 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
For the record I don't like snake away. A waste of money IMO. That said I do carry it on the truck and do sell it, after telling the customer exactly what I think of it of course. I even have a few monthly/quarterlys out there. Even though I tell my customers up front that repellants are useless many of them just want someone or something to pacify their fears. That right there is a large portion of snake control. I also do the usual habitat/food source/water recommendations as well as recommend exclusion. The human equation in snake control is always the hardest for me. For starters I am usually dealing with irrational people to begin with. Very rarely do they want to hear about the food source, after all they SAW the snake but only see the occasional chipmunk/rat/mouse. Habitat mods, your kidding me right, these folks have let their yard grow into a jungle for a reason. They're LAZY and they will agree to clean the place up until your tail lights are around the bend then it's back to lazy. BTW lazy people rarely have the money to pay an NWCO to work on their place.
I love catching snakes but rarely enjoy the customers that have snake problems.

[Linked Image]
Re: Snake treatment [Re: warrior] #834478
08/14/08 10:39 AM
08/14/08 10:39 AM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

David your right few customers don't want to here the truth about keeping an unkempt property and they usually are irrational.

I keep a few old political signs and put them down for cover for the snakes to crawl under. I come back with tongs and pick them up most of the time.

But I do sell and perform habitat modification and have regular customers who pay me to do maintenance they should be doing the fist place. As far as the customers who can't afford me or my advice I don't even waste my time driving out there.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper