Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
offset for wolf traps #8132404
05/02/24 08:48 PM
05/02/24 08:48 PM
Montana
Willoughby Offline OP
trapper
Willoughby  Offline OP
trapper

Montana
I am modifying some ts 85s for wolf trapping and was told to offset 3/8
have read countless post on offset jaws for trapping in general but found none on wolf
some say its only to make levers come up higher for better lock up others say its for comfort or circulation to stop chew outs
Ive seen these ts85s offset with the jaws milled out and then they dont lay flat unless a piece of 3/16 keystock is welded on levers were they contact the jaws
then and Ive seen them with just a bead of weld on the jaws to off set and the levers come up almost as much as without -within 1/8 or so
either way is then outside laminated with 1/4 cold roll
I like the bead of weld on jaws over removing metal from jaws -
my trapping partner who has more experience than I by far says offset is unnecessary
I would like yalls opinion thanks in advance

Last edited by Willoughby; 05/03/24 09:04 AM.

if your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough
Re: offset for wolf traps [Re: Willoughby] #8132478
05/02/24 11:11 PM
05/02/24 11:11 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

Orergon
I would agree that unless the jaws were made to accommodate levers that were made for said jaws, leave them be. As an aside, mad_mike and I had Kendall, (NO BS Traps), build us 2 dozen Canine Extremes specifically for wolverine without off-set jaws. At the time, that wasn't an option, (might still not be?), and a fine job he did. We had our reasons for those traps, and they worked fantastic on gulo. They also held several wolves for Mike, when they dummied into wolverine sets.
So my 2 cents would be, set them as they are.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: offset for wolf traps [Re: Willoughby] #8132581
05/03/24 07:37 AM
05/03/24 07:37 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I milled (actually used a bench mounted belt sander) a quarter inch offset in the TS 85s that I modified. I believe after you four coil them you are going to need that keystock on the levers whether you offset the jaws or not. I also welded a piece of keystock low on the inside of the jaw the pan hooks on. So you hook the pan on that instead of the jaw, causing the pan to set lower than the jaws. I have also offset some other models of traps by welding a bead on the jaw, can't recall doing it to anything but longsprings, but it worked fine on them.

Yes, a closed jaw will work fine (if they are legal in Montana, some states they are not when set on land, and over a certain jawspread) I prefer an offset trap, more for incidentals and/or nontargets than for the actual wolves. Also I prefer a 1/4 over a 3/8 offset, if you are making your own.

Re: offset for wolf traps [Re: Willoughby] #8132709
05/03/24 10:42 AM
05/03/24 10:42 AM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
I aways liked offset jaws for wolves. Better lock up on jaws, general less paw and wrist damage (even less if it has offset with teeth). I maded my personal 9's with a 1/2" offset. the ones i manufactured had a 3/8" offset.

Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid!
Re: offset for wolf traps [Re: Willoughby] #8132742
05/03/24 11:22 AM
05/03/24 11:22 AM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
Originally Posted by Willoughby
I am modifying some ts 85s for wolf trapping and was told to offset 3/8
have read countless post on offset jaws for trapping in general but found none on wolf
some say its only to make levers come up higher for better lock up others say its for comfort or circulation to stop chew outs
Ive seen these ts85s offset with the jaws milled out and then they dont lay flat unless a piece of 3/16 keystock is welded on levers were they contact the jaws
then and Ive seen them with just a bead of weld on the jaws to off set and the levers come up almost as much as without -within 1/8 or so
either way is then outside laminated with 1/4 cold roll
I like the bead of weld on jaws over removing metal from jaws -
my trapping partner who has more experience than I by far says offset is unnecessary
I would like yalls opinion thanks in advance

I haven’t yet seen or heard of a wolf chewing out. My wolf specific gear is all 3/8” offset. Results may vary, there are a myriad of reasons that guys run with a certain set up. The most common, IMO, is it varies to what works for them.

Re: offset for wolf traps [Re: Willoughby] #8133143
05/03/24 11:03 PM
05/03/24 11:03 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I've never used closed jawed traps, but I've not had any appreciable foot damage on wolves with offsets varying from 3/16 to 3/8. With 3/8 offsets I have had foot damage on coyotes, with the larger traps they are often caught high above the thick fleshy part of the foot and the wider offset allows them to slide their foot sideways rubbing on the jaw. This is worse with smooth jawed traps like the TS85 than with cast jaws.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman