No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: It may be time for the last walk [Re: Providence Farm] #8136975
05/10/24 09:43 AM
05/10/24 09:43 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
I feel for you, we've had a bunch of dogs over the years and eventually their time comes, it's not an easy decision nor should it be.
I've put them down and have had the vet put them down, my biggest regret was not putting down my last Border Collie myself, she was my best friend and we did everything together, but my daughter intervened thinking it would be too hard on me, and it would have been tough, but I felt I owed her that last minute with me.
I'm not advocating that, everyone is different and it's hard on the person, not everyone can bring themselves to it....
but We always felt it was important not to let them suffer. My condolences for when it's time...

Re: It may be time for the last walk [Re: Providence Farm] #8137038
05/10/24 11:31 AM
05/10/24 11:31 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
I once had a water spaniel who had the same problem with mammary tumors. We finally had to put her down when she was ten years old. Over the years, I have personally put down two of my dogs, both water spaniels due to sickness. It took me a long time to recover in both cases, even though it was the right thing to do. Since then, we take them to the vet who puts them down.

Remember as a kid we played army and you gave up the fort so the other side got it? Of course you don't. Little kids aren't that stupid.
Re: It may be time for the last walk [Re: Providence Farm] #8137056
05/10/24 11:57 AM
05/10/24 11:57 AM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
It’s your dog, do what you feel is best.

Re: It may be time for the last walk [Re: Providence Farm] #8137127
05/10/24 02:40 PM
05/10/24 02:40 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana
This morning she was up and moving well for her and her age. Looks to be feeling well eyes bright. I haven't noticed any more spots on the floor her wound seemed to be closing up. Her gums are pink and healthy looking. So it looks like I'm off the hook for a little while. It's been on my mode is coming pretty hard for the last few months since the tumor has gotten larger and she has lost some weight along her spine. I can feel her spine when petting where before it was all mussel. If you didn't know her you would not notice she still looks healthy just like an older dog.

Keith I sprayed her with wound spray and I did press on it and get what would come out out. No infection just old brown ish blood and not a lot maybe a half dollar size area of drips hit the floor. I hope when it's time it will obviously be time.

We do better by our pets than we do old and sick folks I have thought. Watching my wife's grandma suffering with congestive heart failure I felt bad for thinking it but I did think man if that was anything on my farm I wouldn't think twice to put it down, but she has to lay there and suffer. Thinking back at my grandfather wasting away and starving to death when dieing from cancer. He didn't want any feeding tube, basically he starved to death. He looked like the death camp Jews he liberated. You could see every rib, every heart beat in his neck from across the room. His watch slid all the way to his shoulder. I sure hope I don't go out like they did. I sure won't let my dog get into that bad of shape.

I sure glad it was not time yet, I better go clean some old meat out of the freezer and start thawing it out for her.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 05/10/24 11:52 PM.
Re: It may be time for the last walk [Re: Providence Farm] #8137166
05/10/24 04:17 PM
05/10/24 04:17 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
When you think it's time, it is. Not easy to do, but you took care of her, her whole life, and need to do so one last time.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: It may be time for the last walk [Re: Providence Farm] #8137279
05/10/24 09:24 PM
05/10/24 09:24 PM
SE MN
2cylinder Offline
trapper
2cylinder  Offline
trapper

SE MN
I had to put my 12 year old black lab down last fall. He developed a tumor in his brain and he was doing really well for probably 6 months and one day I came home from work and he couldn’t stand or breathe real well so I put him down then. The only thing about that situation is I felt I was doing the right thing by him, one of the worst days of my life as I loved that dog. We did everything from fishing to trapping to picking rocks in the field. I haven’t got another as I’d hate to lose another.

Rebuilding john deere and international/farmall carburetors
Re: It may be time for the last walk [Re: Oakey] #8137317
05/10/24 10:29 PM
05/10/24 10:29 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
Originally Posted by Oakey
I loved that dog , I spent 7 days a week with him as I worked from my shop on the property. I miss having a dog but I’m not going through that again.

Yep, pretty much my thoughts. As much as I like them I will NOT go through that again. I have 5 dogs buried here on the home place and I think that is enough. I would rather live without.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: It may be time for the last walk [Re: MJM] #8137323
05/10/24 10:36 PM
05/10/24 10:36 PM
ND
grumley701 Offline
trapper
grumley701  Offline
trapper

ND
Originally Posted by MJM
Sometimes you have to do what is best for the dog, not you.

And that’s the hard truth, facts be known, if we’re going to own them then chances are we’re going to bury them. I’ve buried my share and it sucks each and every time and the more times it happens the less one wants to own them.

Pure Blood
Re: It may be time for the last walk [Re: grumley701] #8137325
05/10/24 10:40 PM
05/10/24 10:40 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
Originally Posted by grumley701
Originally Posted by MJM
Sometimes you have to do what is best for the dog, not you.

And that’s the hard truth, facts be known, if we’re going to own them then chances are we’re going to bury them. I’ve buried my share and it sucks each and every time and the more times it happens the less one wants to own them.

Truer words have never been spoken!

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: It may be time for the last walk [Re: Providence Farm] #8137543
05/11/24 11:40 AM
05/11/24 11:40 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
I have loved many dogs, have 2 now doxies 1 is 14 years and one is 7 years. I had terrible hurt everytime one leaves me.
I feel it's my duty and payback to my passing dogs, to give a great home and care to another dog.
I held every dog in their last moments, hurt very bad. Having staggered ages helps the new pup learn the ropes very fast, the remaining dog teaches, and also needs the pup to help sodten the pain.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: It may be time for the last walk [Re: Providence Farm] #8137856
05/12/24 12:10 AM
05/12/24 12:10 AM
NV
2bit Offline
trapper
2bit  Offline
trapper

NV
It's better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all. My first dog was unreplaceable, my second dog and most recent, unreplaceable. She could hunt like nothing I've ever seen. Dozens of pheasants, hundreds of ducks, quail, she even tracked grey squirrels. She could find any bird I brought down. I can't think of a single time she couldn't find the bird. And she was a mutt. She hunted until she was 12. Passed at 15 1/2. I'll never have another dog like her, but I must have a dog, they are man's best friend after all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread