Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Glycerin or???? #8148326
06/01/24 08:18 PM
06/01/24 08:18 PM
Pennsylvania
J
JesseA Offline OP
trapper
JesseA  Offline OP
trapper
J

Pennsylvania
So, the last couple years I've dabbled very lightly in making a couple baits to try on my predator line. Tried 3 different meats, muskrat, groundhog, and bobcat, with a few additives to each. Muskrat was the definite winner, however I want to experiment more. I saw on another thread that adding glycerine only freeze proofs the bait, doesn't actually "add" anything to the bait, smell wise that is. In that thread, it was suggested to use a good quality fish oil, such as jamesons, in place of glycerine. My question is, would a good fish oil such as that help to freeze proof the bait in cold weather, or am I still going to need glycerine to prevent freezing?

Re: Glycerin or???? [Re: JesseA] #8148335
06/01/24 08:45 PM
06/01/24 08:45 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I'm betting a good shot of fish oil will do u. But it's always a trial and error thing. I don't add any antifreeze to any of my stuff and it been used as far north as the Dakotas and Montana without issue.

Re: Glycerin or???? [Re: JesseA] #8148434
06/02/24 06:59 AM
06/02/24 06:59 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
You will have to experiment, a lot of your oils don't freeze easily/have a much lower freeze point. But, what quantities do you need to add to your base to keep the rest of the lure ingredients from freezing? Is that high enough that it becomes the dominate odor instead of a secondary? Also a lot of your lure additive ingredients are tinctures that are tinctured in alcohol, which is also an antifreeze.

Personally I do add glycerin to some lures, for antifreeze and for texture. If you don't want to introduce a new odor, or make one overpowering, glycerin is a good additive.

Re: Glycerin or???? [Re: JesseA] #8148588
06/02/24 02:40 PM
06/02/24 02:40 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
How many coyotes/animals could a person catch with a gallon of Glycerin only?
How many critters can be caught with a Gallon of sun rendered Oil?
Their is a time & place for both of them. You cannot use fish oil to freeze proof urine!
I used to use glycerin in almost everything. Only when needed now.
If you make or keep the meat base a little dry, it will absorb the oil better!!
The excess oil will float to the top and makes a excellent liquid bait.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91