Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Gland lure my first attempts #8160411
06/25/24 07:59 AM
06/25/24 07:59 AM
Pennsylvania
R
RegularJoe Offline OP
trapper
RegularJoe  Offline OP
trapper
R

Pennsylvania
I have coyote, red fox, and grey fox gland lures in progress. I ground the glands and placed in jars in an old dorm fridge that doesn't function, I did not add urine to my glands initially, and all have very dark color on top, which I assume is normal but had me concerned. I have read more and added some species specific urine to each, wondered if I should bother to mix/stir each or just let it ride. I am sure they will each change to some extent but that dark color seems like they will always be darker than any I have ever purchased. It is always interesting.

Re: Gland lure my first attempts [Re: RegularJoe] #8160417
06/25/24 08:32 AM
06/25/24 08:32 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
Hi Joe, I’m a novice but I stir mine. I have put them in a jar and let them go years without stirring though. I add urine too when it gets where I want it. If you’re making it for your own use have fun and don’t feel like it has to be as perfectly concocted as a pro. I’ve made several different animals several different ways over the years and don’t think they were bad. There are expert lure makers on here. Maybe they’ll pm you.

Last edited by kytrapper; 06/25/24 08:33 AM. Reason: Addition
Re: Gland lure my first attempts [Re: RegularJoe] #8160497
06/25/24 11:01 AM
06/25/24 11:01 AM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline
trapper
CountryCletus  Offline
trapper

Warren County, PA
Glands, like anything else, will need stirred periodically to ensure an even aging process.

Additionally, keep very specific notes as to ratios of mother material and urine quantities you’re using, as well as any other pertinent information. Remember- every single factor affects the outcome of that glands aging process, so annotate it, because without doing so replicating it will be difficult.

Re: Gland lure my first attempts [Re: RegularJoe] #8160536
06/25/24 12:05 PM
06/25/24 12:05 PM
Pennsylvania
R
RegularJoe Offline OP
trapper
RegularJoe  Offline OP
trapper
R

Pennsylvania
Appreciate the input. I didn't figure it would be perfect, just seemed off based on the color. I know it will take time and mistakes can be made, the record keeping makes perfect sense, and the devil is in the details I am sure.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91