ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Pesky summertime red foxes #8170013
07/10/24 08:31 PM
07/10/24 08:31 PM
PA
Trapper_Dusty Offline OP
trapper
Trapper_Dusty  Offline OP
trapper

PA
I fancy myself a pretty decent fox trapper. I've caught many, many of them over many years mostly during late October through January. I typically do well with them. I'm a newer nuisance trapper and got my first fox call. Lady said they were getting her ducks out of the yard. I set 8 footholds...mostly dirtholes...one hay set and one urine post. I baited some with eggs, some with chicken gizzards, some with commercial bait and lure and the post set just got urine. So far 3 coon, 3 possum, 1 groundhog and no darn foxes. I'm amazed after about 10 days no luck. Am I missing something? Is it just bad luck? I thought the different food options would work well on these summer foxes. There should be several pups running around -- I figured they'd be on the dumb side and I'd snag a couple the first night. I've been humbled. Any thoughts from you experienced guys?

"There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry, Mine!" -- Kuyper
Re: Pesky summertime red foxes [Re: Trapper_Dusty] #8170058
07/10/24 09:49 PM
07/10/24 09:49 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Are the foxes still there?

Trail cams and eggs would be a good way to verify as the way the egg is broken into and or missing can tell you who got at it. I wish I could remember the damage each individual did, I’m sure you can find it on the internet.

Re: Pesky summertime red foxes [Re: Trapper_Dusty] #8170246
07/11/24 08:08 AM
07/11/24 08:08 AM
PA
Trapper_Dusty Offline OP
trapper
trapper

PA
It's possible that the foxes have moved on. I saw one about a week ago in the area, but they may have headed out since.

"There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry, Mine!" -- Kuyper
Re: Pesky summertime red foxes [Re: Trapper_Dusty] #8170542
07/11/24 02:36 PM
07/11/24 02:36 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Did YOU see Fox or sign? Can't take a customers word for it.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Pesky summertime red foxes [Re: Trapper_Dusty] #8172628
07/13/24 11:00 PM
07/13/24 11:00 PM
PA
Trapper_Dusty Offline OP
trapper
trapper

PA
I just wonder if the basic strategy needs to change somehow in the summertime. Do foxes still respond to scent posts in summer? Are they easily spooked by certain baits or lures? I wonder if they like gland lures or if food lures are the best in summer? I must admit it put a little dent in my confidence. One thing is for sure and that is that nothing is for sure when animals are involved. I love the line by Don Powell in one of his mink trapping videos and that is, "mink don't always do anything". I would like to apply that to foxes now. Doggone things. Live and learn...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread