ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Suddenly can’t catch Moles! #8181841
07/26/24 10:50 AM
07/26/24 10:50 AM
Indiana
S
SE Trapping Offline OP
trapper
SE Trapping  Offline OP
trapper
S

Indiana
Hi everyone, first off I’m really glad to have found this forum. I had no idea there were websites with this amount of knowledge out there, this is great for the community.

I’ve been doing ADC for a few years now and do lots of moles. Last year I went to the No Mol trap off of Wildlife Control Supply. They worked great and I liked that I was able to catch small baby moles. In the last several jobs, I can’t catch anything. If I do catch something, it’ll be after a week of trapping and get 1-2 moles. Some jobs I’m not catching a thing.

Has anyone else experienced a drop off like this? I can’t tell what the problem is. Is it possible the traps have scent on them, should I boil them? I also use the same pair of gloves I always use when setting them, should I be using disposable latex gloves each time?

Any advice is appreciated. I have been pretty baffled and need to get back to catching these critters. Thank you.

Midwest Nuisance Trapper
Re: Suddenly can’t catch Moles! [Re: SE Trapping] #8181928
07/26/24 11:40 AM
N Central Iowa
iayogi17 Offline
trapper
iayogi17  Offline
trapper

N Central Iowa
if your on Facebook look up mole trapping groups

Brad Mohr
Re: Suddenly can’t catch Moles! [Re: SE Trapping] #8181929
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Is there sign that the moles are tripping the trap? Are they digging under the trap? Has it been really hot? Is the ground got real dry? Are you bedding the trap? Make sure it cannot move when the moles enter the trap. This change with the season and time of the year. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Suddenly can’t catch Moles! [Re: SE Trapping] #8181960
07/26/24 11:50 AM
07/26/24 11:50 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
When it get's hot and dry, they go DEEP, where the worms are!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Suddenly can’t catch Moles! [Re: Getting There] #8182017
07/26/24 12:30 PM
Indiana
S
SE Trapping Offline OP
trapper
SE Trapping  Offline OP
trapper
S

Indiana
Originally Posted by Getting There
Is there sign that the moles are tripping the trap? Are they digging under the trap? Has it been really hot? Is the ground got real dry? Are you bedding the trap? Make sure it cannot move when the moles enter the trap. This change with the season and time of the year. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Most of the time, no. No signs the moles are tripping the trap. I have had a couple instances of digging under, but not frequently. Ground and conditions have been good for catching moles.

Bedding the trap, I don't think so, so maybe that is the problem! Along that train of thought, I have never "staked" the No Mol traps in their circle. I've never understood the purpose of doing so. Is the purpose of the stake to ensure it can't move back when the mole presses forward?

Midwest Nuisance Trapper
Re: Suddenly can’t catch Moles! [Re: iayogi17] #8182018
Indiana
S
SE Trapping Offline OP
trapper
SE Trapping  Offline OP
trapper
S

Indiana
Originally Posted by iayogi17
if your on Facebook look up mole trapping groups

I don't really get on Facebook but may have to start if the problem persists! Thanks for the heads up

Midwest Nuisance Trapper
Re: Suddenly can’t catch Moles! [Re: SE Trapping] #8182345
07/26/24 08:42 PM
07/26/24 08:42 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Is there still fresh sign that the moles are still on the surface? They may have gone deep as mentioned above. Having the client run the sprinkler where you are trapping will bring the worms back up where it’s easy to trap them.

Other than that, back to basics, go back to being stupid careful opening the tunnel, stretching the tunnel if need be, inserting the trap. Covering the set etc. watch for signs that the moles are going around or under your trap.

Sandy soil can be frustrating to trap in when it gets really dry.

Re: Suddenly can’t catch Moles! [Re: SE Trapping] #8182748
07/27/24 12:26 PM
07/27/24 12:26 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Bedding the trap is so important be it mole traps, body grip, foot hold and even live traps. You do not want the trap to move. When the sand is dry it makes it harder.
JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Suddenly can’t catch Moles! [Re: SE Trapping] #8183068
07/27/24 07:44 PM
07/27/24 07:44 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
You’ve come to best and right place to learn about trapping moles. BUT, you also have to do your homework and research. The ARCHIVES on this website offers a wealth of information and will answer all of your questions. We’ve all been through what you’re experiencing at one time or another. You also get to learn what’s going on in other parts of the country pertaining to types of mole traps, subspecies of mole, mole habits and habitat regarding your subspecies, soil types, trapping techniques, etc. If you have trouble negotiating the website’s ARCHIVES, do a Google Search “Mole Trapping, Trapperman Forums.”

What type of soil are you trapping in? Are you trapping the surface foraging/feeding tunnels or the deeper tunnels? What other types of mole traps have you used prior to using the No-Mole? Have you tried any of the scissor traps (OOS, Talpex, etc) or Trapline Products (Steve Albano) mole traps?

No need to wear gloves unless your soil gets muddy or you have to deal with Sandburs or Fire Ants. Unless you somehow squeezed urine, feces, musk juice or other pheromones from previously caught moles, I doubt scent on your bare hands or traps will bother moles.

If you are trapping in an urban setting, it’s not unusual to trap 2-3 moles in a 3-5 day trapping period then get a call back 1-2 weeks later. Moles are supposed to be territorial. It may take some time for neighboring moles to find out the moles you caught are gone before re-colonizing their tunnels. Mole population density, climate, availability of earthworms, beetle larvae, soft bodied insects. etc. also come into play. Unless you live in a rainy climate, those homeowners with the greenest landscape will be your best mole customers!

Put your hands in the dirt and set some mole traps! Experience is the best teacher! Good luck.

"Happier than a gopher in wet sand."
Re: Suddenly can’t catch Moles! [Re: SE Trapping] #8185182
07/30/24 09:33 PM
07/30/24 09:33 PM
Missouri
T
Tony H Offline
trapper
Tony H  Offline
trapper
T

Missouri
If you are interested in trying a different style trap try out Mole Reapers. Lots of video tutorials on both the online store and associated YouTube page.

Need mole traps? Check out my website at www.molereapertraps.com
Re: Suddenly can’t catch Moles! [Re: SE Trapping] #8185580
07/31/24 01:51 PM
07/31/24 01:51 PM
OR
T
TimmeeGee Offline
trapper
TimmeeGee  Offline
trapper
T

OR
I've had really good luck with the trapline products mole trap. I can set them fast with minimal digging/damage to the location.

Re: Suddenly can’t catch Moles! [Re: SE Trapping] #8185615
07/31/24 02:21 PM
07/31/24 02:21 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
I was just in the spot in our warehouse that the mole traps are kept. There were about 5 or 6 scissor type traps and a couple spear types that showed up. Somebody wasn’t having luck trapping on their own.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread