ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
The gopher became a meal! #8188339
08/04/24 12:23 AM
08/04/24 12:23 AM
California
T
TheyGetAway Offline OP
trapper
TheyGetAway  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
I was gone for about a week and came back to Humboldt county yesterday. I had about four small dirt mounds in about a 5 ft area. Never could find a main tunnel. The dirts kind of dry and crumply. (New word means crumbles ) I poked around a lot of places but never felt like I found any main run. I did find a tunnel that wasn't plugged and I felt was active so I set in it. I'm using the Maccabee or Old reliable trap. I left it open when I was done setting. I put a couple of dirt clods to partially close the opening but it was wide open basically. This morning when I went out to check the trap it wasn't in the hole. It didn't even register what had happened until I had two cups of coffee. The trap was about 5 ft from the hole and there was a chunk of gophers still in it but the rest of him was gone. I have a real nice Fox that lives on the property here. I believe she got the meal. My trap is wired to a hand garden tool like a shovel that's about a foot and a half long. I guess he got tired of dragging it after a few feet and just decided to eat it where it was laying. At least my whole trap was not gone I should secure it a little better in the future I guess. That's the first time I've ever set on a new hole and got it the first night. I think it was some luck involved because it definitely was not in the ideal location but it worked that's all that matters.
Take it easy Ken[Linked Image]

IMG_20240805_112215383.jpg
Unknown trap

Last edited by TheyGetAway; 08/06/24 12:59 AM.
Re: The gopher became a meal! [Re: TheyGetAway] #8188422
08/04/24 07:36 AM
08/04/24 07:36 AM
Ohio
T
TrapperE Offline
trapper
TrapperE  Offline
trapper
T

Ohio
thats cool, i buried filleted fish and in the morning there was 2 foxes digging them up

PETA is stupid.
Re: The gopher became a meal! [Re: TheyGetAway] #8188764
08/04/24 03:40 PM
08/04/24 03:40 PM
OR
W
wws Offline
trapper
wws  Offline
trapper
W

OR
I have k-9’s take my cinch traps once in a while. Gophers are a normal food source for predators. I have caught a gopher before I left the customers house, so like 20 minutes to set a trap talk to the lady and pull the gopher out of the ground. Still pays full price. It’s not the 20 minutes she paid for but the 30 years of learning a trade.

wws

Re: The gopher became a meal! [Re: TheyGetAway] #8189296
08/05/24 01:41 PM
08/05/24 01:41 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Lost a few traps like that, but found them using a metal detector, furthest was like 12 ft from where I set it.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: The gopher became a meal! [Re: TheyGetAway] #8189749
08/06/24 01:00 AM
08/06/24 01:00 AM
California
T
TheyGetAway Offline OP
trapper
TheyGetAway  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
I'm new to this forum and didn't know how to add a photo and looks like I added it twice. This is an unknown shop that I use and I got another one today so it's working good for me

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread