Strictly Trapping


No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)



TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum



Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Colony trap preference [Re: marty weatherup] #8631290
06/30/26 10:15 AM
06/30/26 10:15 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Dec 2006
Wisconsin
So, Mr. Saskbone I have a bunch of 8X8X24" colony traps and I can't use them in WI. So, I thought I could make a funnel and place it in the end of the square trap. The entrance would have to be 6" so what size would the exit have to be? And how long would the finished funnel be? I'm thinking maybe 24" cage length won't be long enough.
Or I could just make the entrances smaller by using some wire to get down to the 6" size. But I would like to try out the funnel type trap and see If it has any advantage over the square trap.


The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Colony trap preference [Re: marty weatherup] #8631344
06/30/26 01:01 PM
06/30/26 01:01 PM
Joined: Apr 2012
Muskrat Lake,Saskatchewan
S
saskbone Offline
trapper
saskbone  Offline
trapper
S

Joined: Apr 2012
Muskrat Lake,Saskatchewan
Beav my guess is you would have trouble attaching it to the square colony. Plus with the funnel wider than your trap your trap will sit funny on the bottom. You could cut the funnel square at the bottom but it would be more of a C then a round cone. The gate might have to be modified too. My gates go an inch lower than the hole so that if a rat tries to swim out the gate hits the bottom of the cone and stops them. Not sure how a gate would work on a square trap, but I guess you could just use the original door on the square trap. Never thought about putting a funnel on a square trap.

Re: Colony trap preference [Re: marty weatherup] #8631352
06/30/26 01:23 PM
06/30/26 01:23 PM
Joined: Apr 2012
Muskrat Lake,Saskatchewan
S
saskbone Offline
trapper
saskbone  Offline
trapper
S

Joined: Apr 2012
Muskrat Lake,Saskatchewan
Few more pics

You can stuff little colonies. Two side by side colonies in a low water culvert. Water was over the trap 1 inch. 11 rats
[Linked Image]
Mink will fill a small colony. Never caught more than one in a square. Did catch 3 in a round colony twice before
[Linked Image]
Another underwater pic. Square had 3 , round one 10 feet away had 9
[Linked Image]
Traps I make. The 16 wide by 6 high has wings to the door. I think the doors are 6x6. Great in low water ditches or culverts
[Linked Image]
Just over 800 in a 2 day check
[Linked Image]
Save your rat glands. Easy to sell
[Linked Image]
One of the better years when I averaged $12 on over 2000 rats
[Linked Image]

Re: Colony trap preference [Re: saskbone] #8631569
07/01/26 12:10 AM
07/01/26 12:10 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Dec 2006
Wisconsin
In 2011 I started using wings on my colony traps. No sense using more then one trap in a culvert. An 8X8 with wings can fill most culverts.
Originally Posted by saskbone
Beav my guess is you would have trouble attaching it to the square colony. Plus with the funnel wider than your trap your trap will sit funny on the bottom. You could cut the funnel square at the bottom but it would be more of a C then a round cone. The gate might have to be modified too. My gates go an inch lower than the hole so that if a rat tries to swim out the gate hits the bottom of the cone and stops them. Not sure how a gate would work on a square trap, but I guess you could just use the original door on the square trap. Never thought about putting a funnel on a square trap.


Thanks. I guess I'll stick with the square colony traps.


The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Colony trap preference [Re: marty weatherup] #8631588
07/01/26 05:21 AM
07/01/26 05:21 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

Joined: Mar 2011
williams,mn
Thanks for the pictorial Sask.


"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: Colony trap preference [Re: trapper les] #8636660
07/12/26 09:28 PM
07/12/26 09:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Maine
S
shorthair Offline
trapper
shorthair  Offline
trapper
S

Joined: Dec 2006
Maine
Originally Posted by trapper les
I bought 4 dozen 6x6x 24 collapsibles a few years ago,they worked fine for what I am doing. I have about thirty tube traps under construction.

YUP


"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my traps for what I said I paid for them."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1