|
#1 coils for coon and mink
#8650712
08/19/26 08:03 PM
08/19/26 08:03 PM
|
Joined: Aug 2012
Blackduck Minnesota
Big Sam
OP
trapper
|
OP
trapper
Joined: Aug 2012
Blackduck Minnesota
|
Are any of you guys using them, and if so, how do you like them?
I've had a few hanging in the shed for years, and never really set them. I'm going set a dozen out this year to see how I like them.
I don't really need any advice about them, I just want to talk trapping and this is what I'm thinking about at the moment.
|
|
|
Re: #1 coils for coon and mink
[Re: Big Sam]
#8650722
08/19/26 08:24 PM
08/19/26 08:24 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2006
Ohio
Computer Hater
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Dec 2006
Ohio
|
They perform pretty good but not as good as a 1 1/2 coil in my opinion. I had Northwoods #1 coils. They held anything that got in them but in my opinion they weren't as good as 1 1/2 coils. After a few years of experimenting with them I sold them.
Randy
|
|
|
Re: #1 coils for coon and mink
[Re: ColdspringKidd]
#8650725
08/19/26 08:30 PM
08/19/26 08:30 PM
|
Joined: Aug 2012
Blackduck Minnesota
Big Sam
OP
trapper
|
OP
trapper
Joined: Aug 2012
Blackduck Minnesota
|
…. Not that it has anything to do with your question
… but I used to catch gray fox in # 1’s back when we had alot of them How'd they do, GreatvalueSavell? If you were setting for gray fox today, would you still set the #1s? I've got to find some sort of use for these things.
|
|
|
Re: #1 coils for coon and mink
[Re: Big Sam]
#8650728
08/19/26 08:37 PM
08/19/26 08:37 PM
|
Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
ColdspringKidd
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Jun 2026
Texas
|
…. Not that it has anything to do with your question
… but I used to catch gray fox in # 1’s back when we had alot of them How'd they do, GreatvalueSavell? If you were setting for gray fox today, would you still set the #1s? I've got to find some sort of use for these things. … they did alright …. Would just wire them to a sapling drag … fox was always there …. Had one do a Barry sanders juke on me once and knocked its foot out with my whopin stick … but other than that they were solid …. In fact it was a fairly effective method looking back lol
|
|
|
Re: #1 coils for coon and mink
[Re: Big Sam]
#8650730
08/19/26 08:45 PM
08/19/26 08:45 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2006
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Dec 2006
Ames, IA
|
Tried #1 coils one year, and they were SLOOOOOWWWW you could watch them close. Arnold was so aggravated by the misses we had most of them now reside in the bottom of the west branch. We used and i now prefer 1 1/2 coils. I did use #1 or #11 longs for 20 some years till I moved to Iowa then switched to 1 1/2 coils and never looked back.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure
Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
Re: #1 coils for coon and mink
[Re: Big Sam]
#8650732
08/19/26 08:46 PM
08/19/26 08:46 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2006
williamsburg ks
danny clifton
"Grumpy Old Man"
|
"Grumpy Old Man"
Joined: Dec 2006
williamsburg ks
|
I have some. I dont remember what brand. They are not easy to set and in soft mud they sink in a lot further than a 1 1/2. I never found an advantage over 1 1/2's.
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
|
|
|
Re: #1 coils for coon and mink
[Re: danny clifton]
#8650738
08/19/26 08:52 PM
08/19/26 08:52 PM
|
Joined: Aug 2012
Blackduck Minnesota
Big Sam
OP
trapper
|
OP
trapper
Joined: Aug 2012
Blackduck Minnesota
|
I have some. I dont remember what brand. They are not easy to set and in soft mud they sink in a lot further than a 1 1/2. I never found an advantage over 1 1/2's. I find it kinda funny that you replied. When I was prepping these traps, I short latched them all based on your recommendation. Figured I'd try two things at once.
|
|
|
Re: #1 coils for coon and mink
[Re: fossil2]
#8650813
08/19/26 11:52 PM
08/19/26 11:52 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2006
Wisconsin
Muskrat
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Dec 2006
Wisconsin
|
more bulk and drowning weight with a 1 1/2 coil. if you need them set them out. If you're setting for mink in tight situations, the #1 coilspring is an ideal trap on a submersion cable system. You do not need more bulk and weight to drown a mink. What you need is a one-way slide into deep enough water to fully submerge the mink and drown it. I run 3-4 day checks on all submersion sets. If it's targeting mink, I want that mink to be able to take that light weight #1 coilspring down the cable and out of sight, thus satisfying the requirements for an up to 4 day check. I cannot guarantee that with a #1 1/2 coilspring trap. The #1 coilspring can be placed in tighter locations therefore eliminating more chances of a 'coon stumbling into the set. ![[Linked Image]](https://trapperman.com/forum/attachments/usergals/2026/08/full-353-299131-mm1.jpg)
Lifetime member of WTA and NTA
|
|
|
Re: #1 coils for coon and mink
[Re: Big Sam]
#8650849
08/20/26 06:22 AM
08/20/26 06:22 AM
|
Joined: Dec 2006
Pa
Wright Brothers
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Dec 2006
Pa
|
On walk line checks pretty handy in the coat pocket.
|
|
|
Re: #1 coils for coon and mink
[Re: Big Sam]
#8650862
08/20/26 07:04 AM
08/20/26 07:04 AM
|
Joined: Nov 2025
Holmes co. Oh.
Skippy 1
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Nov 2025
Holmes co. Oh.
|
Sleepy Creek # 1's with a mink pan on them. That pan would pretty much fill those traps up. Used 4 inch flexible drain pipe witch I cut a slit in then bent that open. Added some leaves over that set up and had a hole where ever I wanted one. Caught mink, coon, rats and even one very ticked off otter. Learned early on to stake solid. Used 1.5's a lot but those # 1's were strong and fast.
In my defense I was left Unsupervised
|
|
|
Re: #1 coils for coon and mink
[Re: Big Sam]
#8650873
08/20/26 07:31 AM
08/20/26 07:31 AM
|
Joined: Dec 2006
PA Venango Co.
Ron Marsh
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Dec 2006
PA Venango Co.
|
#1 coil I love them for coon. Set in a cubby . Light cover (one leaf), very fast, no slip, mid paw catch, no chewing, no broken legs from fighting trap (common with 1 1/2 and larger traps). I usually found then curled up sleeping. Especially if given enough wire to get under cover. Brands used Duke, Bridger, and Victor. disadvantages : tough to set without gloves, cannot be buried deep.
PTA Lifetime #131N. Salvation Army CSM Stakes: Why leave them? ALWAYS John 3:16 814-516-2923
|
|
|
|
|