No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum ~ Live Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: 52Carl] #8367328
03/18/25 03:10 PM
03/18/25 03:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Jan 2007
MO
you will learn more than most PhDs by trapping and observing.....oh the line - correlation does not equal causation brings me back to horrid memories of biometry

Enjoy being outdoors and watching the Lords creation adapt and change. We definitely impact nature in mighty ways and I personally have issues with top former herbicide companies running our USDA. Worked too long for agencies to trust them when money is involved - money is always involved. Most corn crops are pounded with fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides and often fungicides. If only manure is being used - it would surprise me.

Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8367528
03/18/25 08:41 PM
03/18/25 08:41 PM
Joined: May 2008
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Joined: May 2008
Mn
Around here about the only place you find muskrats in any numbers is in neighborhood ponds that all the big number neighborhoods are built around and all those fancy houses and lawns are treated heavily with everything under the sun to make them green and lush



�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8367573
03/18/25 09:14 PM
03/18/25 09:14 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

Joined: Nov 2007
St. Cloud, MN
I always assumed the same as Eric's findings. The creeks I trapped as a kid had loads of rats in them in the late 70's to the mid 80's. After that, populations went in the crapper. The only thing that made sense was chemicals used on crop ground. Hardly a rat anywhere on the creeks I trapped as a kid today.


"The voice of reason!"
Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: nightlife] #8367576
03/18/25 09:16 PM
03/18/25 09:16 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

Joined: Nov 2007
St. Cloud, MN
Originally Posted by nightlife
Around here about the only place you find muskrats in any numbers is in neighborhood ponds that all the big number neighborhoods are built around and all those fancy houses and lawns are treated heavily with everything under the sun to make them green and lush


I reckon, those urbanites aren't using much Roundup on their lawns.


"The voice of reason!"
Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8367664
03/18/25 10:38 PM
03/18/25 10:38 PM
Joined: Apr 2019
SD
B
Bison88 Offline
trapper
Bison88  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Apr 2019
SD
We have as much agricultural spray up here as anywhere. When we have water we have rats, its that simple. Probably several factors leading to their decline.

Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8367911
03/19/25 10:07 AM
03/19/25 10:07 AM
Joined: Nov 2022
PA
H
hickoryridge Offline
trapper
hickoryridge  Offline
trapper
H

Joined: Nov 2022
PA
interesting . . thanks for sharing

Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8367977
03/19/25 11:17 AM
03/19/25 11:17 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Dec 2007
Kanabec Cty, MN
52Carl, which is specifically why I said linked and not caused by. I doubt anyone has scientifically studied or funded research into ALL the possible contributing factors beyond NOT being AG chems. Most of the research done to “ prove” safety are funded by the chem corps so they needs to be reviewed very judiciously. The current Neonics have been incidentally found in over 2/3 of MN deer being tested for CWD around the whole state. The effects are yet to be learned. But how wide spread might a buildup be? State bee keepers have won a lawsuit over it here. I am opened to true unbiased facts


I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8368068
03/19/25 12:52 PM
03/19/25 12:52 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

Joined: Apr 2017
PA
My area stays pretty constant-slim to none. They are only by products of a mink and coon line here. You would be considered crazy to try to target them. What I always wondered is what happened when an area only giving up 0-3 rats for years gives up 3-6? Maybe we should ask whats bringing them back?

Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8368076
03/19/25 01:04 PM
03/19/25 01:04 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
USA-WI
K
Kre Offline
trapper
Kre  Offline
trapper
K

Joined: Nov 2010
USA-WI
I'm not sure I buy the "chemicals used in farming" conclusion.

Reason being, in the Dakotas, which is essentially all farm ground, all you need is water and there will be rats galore.

Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8368111
03/19/25 01:54 PM
03/19/25 01:54 PM
Joined: Jul 2017
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: Jul 2017
PA
That is some interesting info I commend you for taking your time to document some info and see what might happen over time I was a volunteer for a local Pheasants Forever chapter in south east PA for about 25 years from the1990's to 2018 The pheasant and the muskrat has been on the same population decline during that time As a 12 year old beginning bird hunter and rat trapper I could not have foreseen what has become of both of them But on the other hand coyotes are numerous throughout PA and in many places the white tail deer are regarded as pest Mother Nature is always changing

Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8368239
03/19/25 05:32 PM
03/19/25 05:32 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Joined: Aug 2010
Southern Wisconsin
I own some of the same ground now that I trapped when a boy, a ditch creek runs to the river through it. Not one rat in it all winter, and mink droppings were in a pile on the culverts as a boy, now none. Did I kill mink when I put mouse poison in my deer blind 12 foot off the ground, probably, because it was completely eaten and my cushions were still all chewed up. I will try some dryer sheets from now on, don't want the dead mice to be killing other critters. But the lack of mink is not just in the field by me, lots less than the 70s.


Born twice, die once
Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: Drakej] #8368652
03/20/25 12:38 AM
03/20/25 12:38 AM
Joined: Jan 2014
Virginia
5
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper
5

Joined: Jan 2014
Virginia
Originally Posted by Drakej
52Carl, which is specifically why I said linked and not caused by. I doubt anyone has scientifically studied or funded research into ALL the possible contributing factors beyond NOT being AG chems. Most of the research done to “ prove” safety are funded by the chem corps so they needs to be reviewed very judiciously. The current Neonics have been incidentally found in over 2/3 of MN deer being tested for CWD around the whole state. The effects are yet to be learned. But how wide spread might a buildup be? State bee keepers have won a lawsuit over it here. I am opened to true unbiased facts

Who do you suppose originally "linked" frog mutations to pesticides? Likely not friends of ours, to say the least.

Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8374743
03/28/25 10:42 AM
03/28/25 10:42 AM
Joined: Jan 2012
Ohio, 48yo
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2012
Ohio, 48yo
Here I think chemicals too. Plus the creeks act different now than they did before all of the fields were tiled. Less water in the creeks, the fields all drain off faster. Plus there is less habitat as far as brush on the creek banks.

Spray fields, less water, less debris... not good for rats. I wonder if the minnow and crawfish population fluctuated with the rats? That would be an interesting line graph.

Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8661565
09/15/26 02:14 PM
09/15/26 02:14 PM
Joined: Nov 2023
Minnesota
T
The Finlander Offline
trapper
The Finlander  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Nov 2023
Minnesota
Has the resurgence of birds of prey and predators like otter had an effect on the rats?

Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8661759
09/15/26 07:59 PM
09/15/26 07:59 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Joined: Dec 2006
Williamsport, Pa.
Mr. Space and what do you think the cause of the decline in your mink population is? YOu mentioned this a few weeks ago and I was wondering if this would spread to here......jk


Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: jk] #8661812
09/15/26 09:30 PM
09/15/26 09:30 PM
Joined: Mar 2009
wantage n.j.
E
eric space Offline OP
trapper
eric space  Offline OP
trapper
E

Joined: Mar 2009
wantage n.j.
Originally Posted by jk
Mr. Space and what do you think the cause of the decline in your mink population is? YOu mentioned this a few weeks ago and I was wondering if this would spread to here......jk


I think the mink decline is due to guinea worms. The last ones I caught had literally 100's under their skin. The mink were extremely thin. This summer I have seen a few roadkills so I hope they are making a comeback.
As to the muskrats that were the point of this thread: We had so much snow and cold last winter (March of 2026) that I was unable to trap the swamp. Hope to get in there in March of 2027.

Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8661872
09/15/26 11:41 PM
09/15/26 11:41 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Mt.
g smith Offline
trapper
g smith  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Mt.
Thank you Eric ,this is good stuff for Trapperman .


You can ride a fast horse slow but you can't ride a slow horse fast .
Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: trapperkeck] #8661990
09/16/26 10:10 AM
09/16/26 10:10 AM
Joined: May 2008
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Joined: May 2008
Mn
Originally Posted by trapperkeck
Originally Posted by nightlife
Around here about the only place you find muskrats in any numbers is in neighborhood ponds that all the big number neighborhoods are built around and all those fancy houses and lawns are treated heavily with everything under the sun to make them green and lush


I reckon, those urbanites aren't using much Roundup on their lawns.


You might be surprised, I’ve seen the various lawn services using those hand held sprayers spraying round up but it’s probably not as much as it n farm fields true

Back in the 60/70 my cousins who farmed sprayed tons of herbicides and pesticides on their farm and the creek running through it still supported a good rat population, but sometimes a lot of people do t take into account is that farming practices have also changed, where there used to be a border of vegetation around farm fields nowadays most fields are plowed border to border and many of the shelter belts have been torn out to make plowing easier so there’s no longer that to filter or slow down chemicals from entering the waterways

Frankly I don’t know what the answer is but I will say I have seen an upswing in rat populations in many areas where a few years ago there were little or none and many of those areas farming has slowed or stopped or shifted from row crops to things like hay or pasture for livestock



�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8662026
09/16/26 11:19 AM
09/16/26 11:19 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Fairbanks, Alaska
I suspect you are on to something. I may be a card-carrying biologist, but I have far more faith in the observations of trappers on the ground they are infinitely familiar with, than most the studies done by educated idiots!

I hadn't thought about it for many years, but in the 50's and 60's there in Sussex County, I was responsible for many the .45 cent 'rat going to Rat Heaven!

Pete

Re: Eric's Muskrat Study [Re: eric space] #8662515
09/17/26 05:44 AM
09/17/26 05:44 AM
Joined: Mar 2026
michigan
D
Dahlgren Trapper Offline
trapper
Dahlgren Trapper  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Mar 2026
michigan
sure wish they would make a come back here, only real place that has any is one golf coarse and they want them gone I have live trap a few and relocated them

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread