No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum ~ Live Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8663433
09/18/26 06:27 PM
09/18/26 06:27 PM
Joined: Mar 2020
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

Joined: Mar 2020
W NY
Here's an older can of mine
[Linked Image]


NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: upstateNY] #8663434
09/18/26 06:36 PM
09/18/26 06:36 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: Jan 2008
Alaska and Washington State
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I've never heard it called anything BUT white gas.......

Your aging yourself now just like the rest of us. grin

What do they call it now? All I've ever heard it referred to is white gas..


"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8663437
09/18/26 06:40 PM
09/18/26 06:40 PM
Joined: Mar 2020
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

Joined: Mar 2020
W NY
It's called mostly Coleman fuel here, very few people use the term White Gas. But I do use both terms

We burn Coleman fuel down by the crick at night in our laterns, fishin' for bullhead

Last edited by Turtledale; 09/18/26 06:41 PM.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8663463
09/18/26 07:29 PM
09/18/26 07:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2015
northern indiana
K
kenny k Offline
trapper
kenny k  Offline
trapper
K

Joined: Dec 2015
northern indiana
Found a deal like that 20 years ago. And I was mowing grass
And ran out .the kids used my gas an I was 10 miles to town.
I saw the colman fuel on the shelf so I try it.
Well that mower never so good.

Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8663492
09/18/26 08:21 PM
09/18/26 08:21 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

Joined: Apr 2007
ohio
I have a Colman cook stove that uses lead free gasoline


We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8663493
09/18/26 08:22 PM
09/18/26 08:22 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

Joined: Apr 2007
ohio
I might auction it off for the Trapperman fund later.


We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8663626
09/18/26 11:48 PM
09/18/26 11:48 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Joined: Dec 2008
Manitoba
was the first cans cut to use a marten boxes/ cubbies back in the 1970's

Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: white17] #8663644
09/19/26 01:54 AM
09/19/26 01:54 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: Jan 2008
Alaska and Washington State
Originally Posted by white17
Back before rural Alaska got electricity we used to buy Chevron Blazo. Sometimes I would buy a 55 gallon drum for winter lights or what was referred to as "case gas" ................2---square, 5 gallon cans of either Blazo or avgas in a wooden rectangular box..,thus a "case". Those boxes can still be found in many cabins doing duty as cupboards or other storage structures.
I have several on my deck just to stash kindling. They still sell as 'antiques' online for over a hundred bucks apiece . LOL...

Back when I was kid it was called white gas.

I just realized I'm sitting next to a couple of them right this minute.
[Linked Image]


"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8663679
09/19/26 07:31 AM
09/19/26 07:31 AM
Joined: Oct 2011
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Oct 2011
Idaho
Always called it white gas here, first time I heard it called Coleman Fuel I wasn't sure they were talking about the same thing. Walmart sells an off brand white gas that is the same thing for considerable less price. I usually run premium unleaded in my white gas stoves and sometimes lanterns, seems to work just as good in the stoves but does flicker a little more in the lanterns that white gas. Regular unleaded with ethanol flickers quite a bit more and is dirtier.

Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8663702
09/19/26 08:38 AM
09/19/26 08:38 AM
Joined: May 2013
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Joined: May 2013
Northern Michigan
White Gas here as well.

About 25 or so years ago my daughter was working her way through college as a Walmart associate, and was running the sporting goods dept. They had an entire pallet full of coleman fuel in the back of the store that had rust on the cans. The manager thought it wouldn't sell so he was going to clearance it or toss it out. Some fellow overheard him and offered some outrageous price like $20 for the whole pallet....they sold it to him right then and there. I was real sorry I didn't get in on that deal, I'd still be gloating to this day. The lantern I have nowadays is dual fuel and burns either coleman or unleaded. Battery stuff is so easy these days that I don't believe I've lit my coleman lantern in several years.


Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: waggler] #8663794
09/19/26 02:34 PM
09/19/26 02:34 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

Joined: Mar 2007
McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by waggler

I just realized I'm sitting next to a couple of them right this minute.
[Linked Image]



Those look to be in really good shape !!


Mean As Nails
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8663937
09/19/26 08:30 PM
09/19/26 08:30 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: Jan 2008
Alaska and Washington State
^^^^^^^^
White,
What vintage are those? Any idea?
I can't imagine running an airplane on 80 octane. What where they running that in? The only guys I know who are using auto gas now are flying old Taylor Crafts, etc..


"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8664005
09/19/26 10:19 PM
09/19/26 10:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Aug 2011
james bay frontierOnt.
Was always called Naptha gas here.
Every remote bunkhouse on the railroad had one or two and if you didnt like the oil lamp,you had to bring in your own naptha lantern and mantles..
We had to bring in our own naptha gas for the stoves..


Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: waggler] #8664047
09/20/26 12:11 AM
09/20/26 12:11 AM
Joined: Mar 2007
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

Joined: Mar 2007
McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by waggler
^^^^^^^^
White,
What vintage are those? Any idea?
I can't imagine running an airplane on 80 octane. What where they running that in? The only guys I know who are using auto gas now are flying old Taylor Crafts, etc..


Back in the day 80/87 was standard Super Cub fuel for the Lycoming 0-320 and also in the older , low compression, Continental 0-470 engine in Cessna 180. But once the compression ratios on those engines increased to greater than 7:1 Everyone pretty much switched to 100 Low Lead in the Cessna especially for the super-charged engines in the 185 and 206 variants. In a lot of Cubs today, guys mix unleaded with 100 LL at a 50/50 ratio. It is cheaper than using straight 100LL and the engine needs a bit of lead to prevent knocking and it is beneficial to the valves in a recip engine.

The same Continental 0-470 used in some older helicopters with turbo chargers were fueled with 115/145. It was purple. The 80/87 was reddish orange, and the 100 LL is greenish blue.

The last time I saw 115/145 was in the late 1970's and the last 80/87 was around 1986 or so


Mean As Nails
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8664063
09/20/26 06:58 AM
09/20/26 06:58 AM
Joined: Feb 2020
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Joined: Feb 2020
Indiana
I was running Aviation fuet at 32 to 1 in my 2 strokes for years. Saw shop that ported
Opened the exhaust and jetted Mt saws recommended it. What noticed was I dont stink like a 2 stroke all day after running one if in running Aviation fuel. BUT my small local airport quit allowing carry out on fuel and won't sell fuel unless it gets put into an airplane. The saw shop selles it but its over an hour drive so I use what a local gas station seek as recation fuel thats 92 octane and alcohol free. They say its beter for small engines. I think it has a longer shelf life. I know thw Aviation fuel has a 5 year shelf life.. I figured I only run about 25 gal a year of it I can handel the higher cost for more longevity of the equipment. Does it make a difference or am I wasting money I dont honestly know. But my main saw has not needed to be in the shop for around to years since I had it hopped up.

Always heard colman fuel called colam fuel or white gas

Last edited by Providence Farm; 09/20/26 11:35 AM.
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8664137
09/20/26 10:53 AM
09/20/26 10:53 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Dec 2010
Armpit, ak
The newer coleman lanterns and stoves ( 1990-s and on) started advertising " duel fuel". I think you could always use unleaded gas in them. Problem was in the old days, it was leaded gas. I keep things simple at the trapline cabin and use unleaded gas for everything ( No ethanol in AK gas ) One fuel powers everything. I have a couple of the old red single burner lanterns that have seen nothing but unleaded since I have owned them.

P.S. I bought some of that Chevron canned gas at Rainy Pass Lodge back in 1993 when I drove a Bravo back from Rohn for ABC during the Iditarod.

Last edited by Dirt; 09/20/26 10:57 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8664141
09/20/26 11:17 AM
09/20/26 11:17 AM
Joined: Mar 2007
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

Joined: Mar 2007
McGrath, AK
Years back there was a "joke" going around that Audrey Magoun and her husband Pat Valkenburg were doing wolverine research into what scent was the most attractive to wolverines.

The punchline was that the most attractive scent was 80/87. I don't have any idea whether there is any truth to that or whether everything was contaminated with 80/87 because they were using a Cub for their research.

The other "joke" at the time was that the two things trappers liked the smell of the most was 80/87 and wolverine blood.


Mean As Nails
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: white17] #8664143
09/20/26 11:19 AM
09/20/26 11:19 AM
Joined: Mar 2007
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

Joined: Mar 2007
McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by waggler
^^^^^^^^
White,
What vintage are those? Any idea?
I can't imagine running an airplane on 80 octane. What where they running that in? The only guys I know who are using auto gas now are flying old Taylor Crafts, etc..


Back in the day 80/87 was standard Super Cub fuel for the Lycoming 0-320 and also in the older , low compression, Continental 0-470 engine in Cessna 180. As long as the engine was low compression and naturally aspirated, 80/87 was fine. But once the compression ratios on those engines increased to greater than 7:1 Everyone pretty much switched to 100 Low Lead in the Cessna especially for the super-charged engines in the 185 and 206 variants. In a lot of Cubs today, guys mix unleaded with 100 LL at a 50/50 ratio. It is cheaper than using straight 100LL and the engine needs a bit of lead to prevent knocking and it is beneficial to the valves in a recip engine.

The same Continental 0-470 used in some older helicopters with turbo chargers were fueled with 115/145. It was purple. The 80/87 was reddish orange, and the 100 LL is greenish blue.

The last time I saw 115/145 was in the late 1970's and the last 80/87 was around 1986 or so


EDIT: Martentrapper can probably provide much better information on this subject than i can


Mean As Nails
Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: K-zoo] #8664188
09/20/26 01:10 PM
09/20/26 01:10 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
40 years Alaska, now back to O...
A
alaska viking Offline
trapper
alaska viking  Offline
trapper
A

Joined: Dec 2007
40 years Alaska, now back to O...
I ran 100LL in my Lycoming 0-540 powered airboat. Was fortunate to be the facilities manager, (which morphed into "Chief Problem Solver That Has Anything to Do with Our Buildings, Inside or Out"), for a regional air carrier in Juneau, which included "disposing" of roughly 200-300 gallons of AV Gas, (100LL), each month. My wallet was very happy.
We had an old Coleman lantern in the cabin that ran on white gas, but if we ran out, would use some of that AV gas, and it ran fine.


Just doing what I want now.

Re: Coleman Fuel [Re: Dirt] #8664206
09/20/26 01:28 PM
09/20/26 01:28 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2009
Nebraska
Originally Posted by Dirt
The newer coleman lanterns and stoves ( 1990-s and on) started advertising " duel fuel". I think you could always use unleaded gas in them. Problem was in the old days, it was leaded gas. I keep things simple at the trapline cabin and use unleaded gas for everything ( No ethanol in AK gas ) One fuel powers everything. I have a couple of the old red single burner lanterns that have seen nothing but unleaded since I have owned them.

P.S. I bought some of that Chevron canned gas at Rainy Pass Lodge back in 1993 when I drove a Bravo back from Rohn for ABC during the Iditarod.


Agreed. I don’t think Coleman changed anything, I think regular gas changed.

I’ve done just what you do in all my old 70s Coleman stoves and lanterns. Never had a problem.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread