No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum ~ Live Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Fuel filters #8666608
09/25/26 11:03 AM
09/25/26 11:03 AM
Joined: Sep 2012
Perry, NY
D
Dana I Offline OP
trapper
Dana I  Offline OP
trapper
D

Joined: Sep 2012
Perry, NY
[Linked Image]

Are they supposed to look like this when you take them off? I didn't think so, but it appears that the filters are the least of my problems.

I need to get some help to tow it back to the shop and pull the tank, there is a bunch of sludge in the bottom. Cant even get fuel out of the tank right from the tank outlet. This is on a new to me tractor, I haven't even put 20 hours on it yet. Someone must have run some dirty fuel through it.

Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8666611
09/25/26 11:21 AM
09/25/26 11:21 AM
Joined: Feb 2008
NE Indiana
L
Larry Hall Offline
trapper
Larry Hall  Offline
trapper
L

Joined: Feb 2008
NE Indiana
well at least you have a place to start. wow. good luck.

Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8666612
09/25/26 11:23 AM
09/25/26 11:23 AM
Joined: Oct 2009
east central WI
k snow Online content
trapper
k snow  Online Content
trapper

Joined: Oct 2009
east central WI
I'm not a tractor guy, but if that was a pickup, you could be looking at replacing a lot of components. Flushing might help some, but pumps, injectors, etc could be beyond help.


"in the midst of a savage wilderness to depend entirely upon their unassisted strength and hardihood"
Re: Fuel filters [Re: k snow] #8666618
09/25/26 11:32 AM
09/25/26 11:32 AM
Joined: Sep 2012
Perry, NY
D
Dana I Offline OP
trapper
Dana I  Offline OP
trapper
D

Joined: Sep 2012
Perry, NY
Ksnow, I don't think anything got that far. There are 2 fuel filters this pic was the first one the second one didn't look too bad none of that sluge on it. But I'm no mechanic.

Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8666620
09/25/26 11:34 AM
09/25/26 11:34 AM
Joined: Feb 2008
UP of Michigan
B
billy Offline
trapper
billy  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Feb 2008
UP of Michigan
i hope your filter got all the gunk, but ya drain and flush the tank and lines after every thing is clean put new filter on run it a short time and change filers again hope things are good then.


Billy
Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8666624
09/25/26 11:38 AM
09/25/26 11:38 AM
Joined: Oct 2009
east central WI
k snow Online content
trapper
k snow  Online Content
trapper

Joined: Oct 2009
east central WI
A couple cans of cleaner in the tank after flushing wouldn't be a bad idea either. Hopefully the filter caught everything.


"in the midst of a savage wilderness to depend entirely upon their unassisted strength and hardihood"
Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8666626
09/25/26 11:42 AM
09/25/26 11:42 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
South shore L.I. N.Y.
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Dec 2006
South shore L.I. N.Y.
Could be bio sludge? might need to run some bio treatment through after you get it drained and flushed..Fishing vessels often get that, combo of water, dirty fuel and time...

Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8666637
09/25/26 11:56 AM
09/25/26 11:56 AM
Joined: Dec 2009
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Joined: Dec 2009
The Hill Country of Texas
The fix is simple stop runnin that tank LOL


What"s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers


Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8666644
09/25/26 12:08 PM
09/25/26 12:08 PM
Joined: Mar 2020
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

Joined: Mar 2020
W NY
60 years on the farm and ive never seen that Dana. At least the first one caught it.
You'll also have to purge the lines unfortunately.
First blow them out with air.
Then Ive used a pump sprayer with fuel in it to shoot through the fuel lines.
Hopefully you don't have to make new lines.
Then you get to prime the whole system again.

Keep us up to date, id like to see what you find.


NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8666646
09/25/26 12:11 PM
09/25/26 12:11 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
MN
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2018
MN
Diesel Alege, ide just change filters, maybe pump bottom of tank once it's low, no panic


Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
by and large, you're right. Women are almost always awful.

Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8666651
09/25/26 12:32 PM
09/25/26 12:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
South shore L.I. N.Y.
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Dec 2006
South shore L.I. N.Y.
Friends of mine had the bio sludge/algae in their boat tank, they took a case of filters with them and kept changing them out when the motor acted up, that and the algae treatment finally got it cleaned up...

Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8666655
09/25/26 12:49 PM
09/25/26 12:49 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Jan 2007
MO
Our Power Pro guys who maintain all our generators on base run into this occassionally. Diesel in some tanks over 30 years will get this algae like growth and they utilize Power Service treatment with a green colored band on it. Helps with treating the diesel and maintaining the fuel tank.

Re: Fuel filters [Re: gcs] #8666695
09/25/26 02:58 PM
09/25/26 02:58 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
alaska
3
3 Fingers Offline
trapper
3 Fingers  Offline
trapper
3

Joined: Aug 2008
alaska
Originally Posted by gcs
Friends of mine had the bio sludge/algae in their boat tank, they took a case of filters with them and kept changing them out when the motor acted up, that and the algae treatment finally got it cleaned up...

Had that problem once. Took 3 years to completely clear it up

Re: Fuel filters [Re: Donnersurvivor] #8666929
09/25/26 11:49 PM
09/25/26 11:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Oakland, MS
X 2 had it at Ft Riley in 75 got to treat it then filter the heck ou of it as will plug filters faster then can change them.


Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic









Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8666951
09/26/26 05:57 AM
09/26/26 05:57 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Chesapeake, Virginia
D
Doug Lee Offline
trapper
Doug Lee  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Apr 2007
Chesapeake, Virginia
It might be fuel tank algae.
*

Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8667019
09/26/26 09:55 AM
09/26/26 09:55 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: Dec 2006
Pa
So much for just topping it off.

DEF?, Sea Foam?, Startron? , other????

See those glass sample jars sitting on the window sill
at the large fuel depo...





Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8667045
09/26/26 10:41 AM
09/26/26 10:41 AM
Joined: Feb 2015
Mn
R
Reaperman Offline
trapper
Reaperman  Offline
trapper
R

Joined: Feb 2015
Mn
I assume its not a gravity feed tank. So I'd pull out the fuel pickup tube and inspect to make sure its not partially plugged up. Also, sometimes the pickup tubes have a check valve on the bottom. So I wouldnt recommend blowing air back into the fuel line to try and clean it that way. The bottom of the pickup tube will sometimes plug preventing fuel to get to the engine. You could drain the tank with an electric pump by simply connecting one end to the pickup tube or put a temporary tube in its place and pump it that way. Amazon sells cheap transfer pumps that connect to a drill. Whatever you do, you want to make sure to keep contaminated fuel away from your injector pump, good luck

Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8667123
09/26/26 02:43 PM
09/26/26 02:43 PM
Joined: Sep 2012
Perry, NY
D
Dana I Offline OP
trapper
Dana I  Offline OP
trapper
D

Joined: Sep 2012
Perry, NY
Reaperman it actually is gravity fed. I completely disconnected the fuel line from the bottom of the tank and get no fuel flow even like that the sludge on the bottom of the tank has plugged the tank outlet.

Re: Fuel filters [Re: Dana I] #8667231
09/26/26 07:37 PM
09/26/26 07:37 PM
Joined: Jan 2019
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Jan 2019
North central Iowa
This where ethanol works great, get as much fuel out as possible and put some gas with ethanol in the tank, if you can stir it the gas works better, it will kill the algae with dissolving the sludge.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread