|
Ever created your own set?
#8669619
10/02/26 12:55 PM
10/02/26 12:55 PM
|
Joined: Jun 2007
Illinois
foxkidd44
OP
trapper
|
OP
trapper
Joined: Jun 2007
Illinois
|
Any of you guys ever think of something that you never read before and tried?
One I came up with was an on the spot idea many years ago.
I dug a trench on a sandbar Threw a chunk of fish in the bottom..then I built a roof over it laying down sticks and leaves and then putting sand on top.. I kept the ends open big enough for a 120… and to my surprise,,, I actually caught mink with it,,, even a double once,,, first and only time I’ve ever done it.
I eventually made a few using 160s and I did catch a few raccoon,, but for the most part they wouldn’t poke their head down inside..it seems to work better for mink.
Stand by your principles, Stand by your guns, and victory complete and permanent is sure at last. Abraham Lincoln
|
|
|
Re: Ever created your own set?
[Re: foxkidd44]
#8669639
10/02/26 01:51 PM
10/02/26 01:51 PM
|
Joined: Jan 2009
MINN
HILLTOP TRAPPER
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Jan 2009
MINN
|
back in the eighties,tin foil on the trap pan in a shallow running crick for coon.maybe someone else did it to, but pretty sure i came up with that on my own,as i was pretty young and trapped by myself
U GOTTA DO WHAT U GOTTA DO CAUSE IT IS WHAT IT IS....AINT NOTHIN WRONG WITH QUIET
|
|
|
Re: Ever created your own set?
[Re: foxkidd44]
#8669643
10/02/26 02:15 PM
10/02/26 02:15 PM
|
Joined: Aug 2011
Craigmont, Idaho
marty weatherup
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Aug 2011
Craigmont, Idaho
|
Every time I have come up with something I think is original, I’ll find out someone else has been doing the same thing. So no, I cannot say that I’ve come up with any new sets. New to me maybe but not new to the trapping world. Sometimes a new to you set is just intuitive based on the location and animal behavior. I think that’s where most new sets or variants of existing sets originate. It’s a good bet someone else has had the same idea.
Trail cameras and fresh snow have broke a lot of trapper’s hearts.
|
|
|
Re: Ever created your own set?
[Re: foxkidd44]
#8669648
10/02/26 02:29 PM
10/02/26 02:29 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2006
Northern Maine
Bruce T
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Dec 2006
Northern Maine
|
Yes my fisher and marten set in straight up and down tree using just Conibear,bait,lure,evergreen bows,and wire,cable
NRA,NTA,MTA,FTA
Proud member of NTA
|
|
|
Re: Ever created your own set?
[Re: foxkidd44]
#8669649
10/02/26 02:31 PM
10/02/26 02:31 PM
|
Joined: Mar 2017
Wy
Giant Sage
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Mar 2017
Wy
|
Trapping in Mississippi some years ago my sets were gettinget covered up rain and the bait- lure would wash away or the bait hole filled with water. I'd seen where coyotes would mark trash soda cans bottles ext. I would rake up a small dirt pile and bury a baited can or bottle with bait in the top of the mound with th trap placed in front of the opening. Not sure when the pipe dream set came around put the set was the same idea.
Christ is King
|
|
|
Re: Ever created your own set?
[Re: foxkidd44]
#8669695
10/02/26 05:26 PM
10/02/26 05:26 PM
|
Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
Yes sir
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
|
Intresting Seldom. The principles you used to develop your set are very similar to mine. My set is designed for them to come in from either side. My winds here aren't too consistent and swirl in a lot of places so i cant be sure which will be the downwind side. And i dont have to block off one side thus leaving the set more open which i think can help with coyotes.
Last edited by Yes sir; 10/02/26 05:29 PM.
|
|
|
Re: Ever created your own set?
[Re: HILLTOP TRAPPER]
#8669780
10/02/26 08:32 PM
10/02/26 08:32 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper
"Chippendale Trapper"
|
"Chippendale Trapper"
Joined: Dec 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
|
back in the eighties,tin foil on the trap pan in a shallow running crick for coon.maybe someone else did it to, but pretty sure i came up with that on my own,as i was pretty young and trapped by myself Read an article in I believe Outdoor Life or maybe the Scout magazine Boy’s Life about a similar set. This would have been mid to late 70s. The trapper used silver tensile wrapped around a stick with a trap on both sides of the tide. It apparently was to mimic minnows swimming against the tide.
|
|
|
Re: Ever created your own set?
[Re: foxkidd44]
#8669815
10/02/26 10:29 PM
10/02/26 10:29 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2009
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane
"HOSS"
|
"HOSS"
Joined: Dec 2009
The Hill Country of Texas
|
So you invented the cubby set Foxkid or you just built an on the fly cubby in a place therr wasn't one? Every time I got entirely too creative I checked empty traps but I did alter a couple of sets to my own liking and manage to guide land critters into a few trail sets that I think i got lucky on.
What"s good for me may not be good for the weak minded. Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers
|
|
|
Re: Ever created your own set?
[Re: foxkidd44]
#8669836
10/02/26 11:09 PM
10/02/26 11:09 PM
|
Joined: Jan 2014
Virginia
52Carl
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Jan 2014
Virginia
|
"The Possum Puke Set" I am certain that this set has never been published. Me and my trapping partner, each 13 years old, set off to run our long line after supper. My partner was habitual food inhaler. Never chewed it, just heaved it in and swallowed like a coon dog. We had spaghetti that evening. We got to our first trapping site and set a #1 victor longpring under a crabapple tree. We had read about how persimmon trees draw raccoons from miles away, but we never seen a persimmon tree before. Close enough we thought. After the trap was set, my partner bent over and wretched up his dinner that he had wolfed down. It landed in the snow and looked just like it did an hour earlier on his dinner plate. With our longline completed (we only had the one trap) we headed back on an arduous journey back to the house, across the street. After a sleepless night in anticipation, we headed back out at first light. There was possum tracks everywhere, but no possum. There was however, no sign of the spaghetti either, not even a pink spot. We were clearly onto something big, something fame worthy. We were going to be the next Jerimiah Johnson. My partner went on to join the Army and was a cook for twenty years. I went on to college and became a professional trapper. That excursion sticks in my mind as the beginning of the rewarding journey I have been on over the last 55 years and counting.
|
|
|
Re: Ever created your own set?
[Re: foxkidd44]
#8669840
10/02/26 11:30 PM
10/02/26 11:30 PM
|
Joined: Aug 2011
james bay frontierOnt.
Boco
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Aug 2011
james bay frontierOnt.
|
I did. It only works in the city or where there are a lot of coons and a lot of traffic. Its called the fat on the freeway set. You smear a bucket of bacon grease in the middle of the freeway where it goes thru some good coon habitat or thru a city where there are lots of trash pandas,then early in the morning go and pick up all the dead coon.
Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
|
|
|
Re: Ever created your own set?
[Re: bleeohio]
#8669843
10/02/26 11:46 PM
10/02/26 11:46 PM
|
Joined: Dec 2024
Wisconsin
CoyoteCowboy
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Dec 2024
Wisconsin
|
Every time i think i do, i get on the stupid internet and find out it's old news, lol. I've been using ole seldoms disco set and didn't even know it. same
|
|
|
Re: Ever created your own set?
[Re: foxkidd44]
#8669848
10/03/26 12:01 AM
10/03/26 12:01 AM
|
Joined: Nov 2011
New Hampshire
Nessmuck
"Mr. Leavenator"
|
"Mr. Leavenator"
Joined: Nov 2011
New Hampshire
|
I ate some asparagus the night before I went beaver trapping ..
And the next day ..I set a 330 in about 8 inches of water at a fresh
Pullout .
I then relieved myself about 2 feet behind the set.
Had a big beaver in that set the next morning.
Called the set " Simply Irresistible".
It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
|
|
|
Re: Ever created your own set?
[Re: Bruce T]
#8669849
10/03/26 12:06 AM
10/03/26 12:06 AM
|
Joined: Dec 2007
40 years Alaska, now back to O...
alaska viking
trapper
|
trapper
Joined: Dec 2007
40 years Alaska, now back to O...
|
Yes my fisher and marten set in straight up and down tree using just Conibear,bait,lure,evergreen bows,and wire,cable I saw that same set in a trapping video that I rented from a gun store back in the 1980s on a VCR. I tried it and mostly lost bait, no matter how dense I had the little spruce or hemlock branches covering it and the trap, just leaving the bottom open. I have seen many renditions since, but for my money, a box out-produces it many times over.
Just doing what I want now.
|
|
|
|
|