No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum ~ Live Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: Nessmuck] #8670103
10/03/26 05:04 PM
10/03/26 05:04 PM
Joined: Jan 2014
Virginia
5
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper
5

Joined: Jan 2014
Virginia
Originally Posted by Nessmuck
I ate some asparagus the night before I went beaver trapping ..

And the next day ..I set a 330 in about 8 inches of water at a fresh

Pullout .

I then relieved myself about 2 feet behind the set.

Had a big beaver in that set the next morning.

Called the set " Simply Irresistible".

Sounds like a cheap copy of The Possum Puke set partner.
Did you chew the asparagus thoroughly or did you wolf it down? Don't lie. It will only cheapen the view of your integrity. lol
I am going start eating more asparagus regardless. There are times when I need an extra edge to catch the last beaver in the pond.

Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8670164
10/03/26 07:34 PM
10/03/26 07:34 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
"Mr. Leavenator"
Nessmuck  Offline
"Mr. Leavenator"
N

Joined: Nov 2011
New Hampshire
Asparagus was thoroughly chewed....salt ..pepper... Parmesan cheese

Last edited by Nessmuck; 10/03/26 07:35 PM.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8670233
10/03/26 10:49 PM
10/03/26 10:49 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Idaho
S
Salthunter Offline
trapper
Salthunter  Offline
trapper
S

Joined: Jul 2007
Idaho
IIn the 70's I was using a recessed trap placement kinda like Leggets step down,, Designed to avoid traps being sprung by tractors and avoiding crushing the trap[


Work hard play hard
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: foxkidd44] #8670327
Yesterday at 10:07 AM
Yesterday at 10:07 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
S.W.Oregon
Originally Posted by foxkidd44
Any of you guys ever think of something that you never read before and tried?

One I came up with was an on the spot idea many years ago.

I dug a trench on a sandbar Threw a chunk of fish in the bottom..then I built a roof over it laying down sticks and leaves and then putting sand on top..
I kept the ends open big enough for a 120… and to my surprise,,, I actually caught mink with it,,, even a double once,,, first and only time I’ve ever done it.

I eventually made a few using 160s and I did catch a few raccoon,, but for the most part they wouldn’t poke their head down inside..it seems to work better for mink.


I did something similar in Alaska. I would put a #110 vertical and build a small cubby right off the jaws. A chunk of fish and a dot of mink musk caught a good pile of mink for me. Easy rebuild of the cubby after every catch.


Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: Ever created your own set? [Re: newhouse114] #8670343
Yesterday at 10:42 AM
Yesterday at 10:42 AM
Joined: Jun 2007
Illinois
foxkidd44 Offline OP
trapper
foxkidd44  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Jun 2007
Illinois
Originally Posted by newhouse114
Originally Posted by foxkidd44
Any of you guys ever think of something that you never read before and tried?

One I came up with was an on the spot idea many years ago.

I dug a trench on a sandbar Threw a chunk of fish in the bottom..then I built a roof over it laying down sticks and leaves and then putting sand on top..
I kept the ends open big enough for a 120… and to my surprise,,, I actually caught mink with it,,, even a double once,,, first and only time I’ve ever done it.

I eventually made a few using 160s and I did catch a few raccoon,, but for the most part they wouldn’t poke their head down inside..it seems to work better for mink.


I did something similar in Alaska. I would put a #110 vertical and build a small cubby right off the jaws. A chunk of fish and a dot of mink musk caught a good pile of mink for me. Easy rebuild of the cubby after every catch.



Awesomeness


Stand by your principles, Stand by your guns, and victory complete and permanent is sure at last.
Abraham Lincoln
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread