No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum ~ Live Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Binoculars #8670812
10/05/26 01:38 PM
10/05/26 01:38 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline OP
trapper
Newt  Offline OP
trapper
N

Joined: Dec 2006
Port Republic South Jersey
What should I look for all around use ?


South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 15-16-17 2027
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------









www.snareone.com
Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670813
10/05/26 01:42 PM
10/05/26 01:42 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: Dec 2006
Pa
Tell your budget will help.





Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670815
10/05/26 01:45 PM
10/05/26 01:45 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
ny
U
upstateNY Online content
trapper
upstateNY  Online Content
trapper
U

Joined: Aug 2008
ny
I bought a Vortex Diamondback 10x42.I like them so much I got 2 more.One for home,,one for the truck and one for the boat.Very clear and dont fog up.

Last edited by upstateNY; 10/05/26 01:46 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670816
10/05/26 01:46 PM
10/05/26 01:46 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline OP
trapper
Newt  Offline OP
trapper
N

Joined: Dec 2006
Port Republic South Jersey
Looking for used. I dont need and thing expensive
$50.00


South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 15-16-17 2027
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------









www.snareone.com
Re: Binoculars [Re: upstateNY] #8670817
10/05/26 01:47 PM
10/05/26 01:47 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline OP
trapper
Newt  Offline OP
trapper
N

Joined: Dec 2006
Port Republic South Jersey
Originally Posted by upstateNY
I bought a Vortex Diamondback 10x42.I like them so much I got 2 more.One for home,,one for the truck and one for the boat.Very clear and dont fog up.


What are they worth ?


South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 15-16-17 2027
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------









www.snareone.com
Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670820
10/05/26 01:53 PM
10/05/26 01:53 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
ny
U
upstateNY Online content
trapper
upstateNY  Online Content
trapper
U

Joined: Aug 2008
ny
Originally Posted by Newt
Originally Posted by upstateNY
I bought a Vortex Diamondback 10x42.I like them so much I got 2 more.One for home,,one for the truck and one for the boat.Very clear and dont fog up.


What are they worth ?

When I got all mine they were like $150 each.Now they are like $220,,but I see Sheels has a sale on them for $129 right now.Thats a good deal for the quality of glass your getting.

Last edited by upstateNY; 10/05/26 01:55 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Binoculars [Re: upstateNY] #8670821
10/05/26 01:56 PM
10/05/26 01:56 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
east central WI
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper

Joined: Oct 2009
east central WI
Originally Posted by upstateNY
I bought a Vortex Diamondback 10x42.I like them so much I got 2 more.One for home,,one for the truck and one for the boat.Very clear and dont fog up.


We got the 10x50s and like them a lot also.


"in the midst of a savage wilderness to depend entirely upon their unassisted strength and hardihood"
Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670826
10/05/26 02:09 PM
10/05/26 02:09 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Dec 2007
Kanabec Cty, MN
Most binoculars makers have a general model in the 100-125 price on sale that you might find used in your range up the price of “glass”(lenses) is going up fast. Getting high quality for all purpose is limited because use is getting special use designed. Long range, light gathering, compact, zoom, image collecting and now motion stabilized etc. As a birder I have three types that I rely on. What do you want them to do most?


I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670831
10/05/26 02:36 PM
10/05/26 02:36 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
South shore L.I. N.Y.
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Dec 2006
South shore L.I. N.Y.
I've always had the cheap ones, bushnell etc...works for me cause they get stolen out of the truck now and again, they may not be as clear as a thousand dollar glass, but for general purposes work good enough...and still miles better than squinting, lol. did I mention they're cheap? grin

Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670834
10/05/26 02:38 PM
10/05/26 02:38 PM
Joined: Feb 2016
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Joined: Feb 2016
Kentucky
Going cheap with optics is always a bad idea, but if you do go cheap get at least a 50 MM objective, especially if you go with 7x to 10x magnification.

The big objective will keep the exit pupil at 5.O or greater, for max light gathering capability at dawn & dusk.

Better yet, come off some $$ and buy quality that will last a lifetime, and perform better on light gathering, field of view, and most of all crisp clarity edge to edge.



Member - FTA
Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670836
10/05/26 02:54 PM
10/05/26 02:54 PM
Joined: Feb 2020
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Joined: Feb 2020
Indiana
I got a set that came as a promo with Burris scope basically the binoculars were free. Thay were larger than I thought i would want to pack around and I didn't think I would use them much. Turned out I was wrong and used them all the time untill they got broken in the truck at some point.

I dont know much about binoculars but assume it is the same as rifle scopes and camara lens and glass quality makes a big difference in clarity and light .

At one time I honestly didn't understand why someone would buy a 300$ 3x9x40 when I could get a 3x9x40 Bushnell for $89. Today I know the difference and the price increase is worth that difference to me

Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670840
10/05/26 03:20 PM
10/05/26 03:20 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Midland, Michigan
Rusty Axe Camp Offline
trapper
Rusty Axe Camp  Offline
trapper

Joined: Aug 2007
Midland, Michigan
Like most gear, it all depends on what a person is doing.

Most folks aren't glassing 12 hrs a day on a mountainside or backpacking up the backside of a rockslide with their gear. Those people need th high dollar stuff.


Most folks can get by with a $100-200 pair of imported Vortex, NIkon or Leupolds. I've got 2 sets of Vortex Diamondbacks and a pair of the Leupold BX-1s. All work great for truck binos or for in the deer stand.

Plenty clear for my eyes and I didn't need a loan to get em.


[Linked Image]

Erik Johnson
Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670845
10/05/26 03:40 PM
10/05/26 03:40 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper

Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Newt
Looking for used. I dont need and thing expensive
$50.00

That'll be $50 thrown away.

At least budget up to around $200.


Thank God For Your Blessings!
Taste Your Words Before You Spit Them Out!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670859
10/05/26 04:24 PM
10/05/26 04:24 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Joined: Aug 2010
Asheville, NC
How long do you plan to keep them. If you plan to keep them the rest of your life, go for quality. Your grandkids will enjoy them someday. Same for rifle scopes.

Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670867
10/05/26 04:42 PM
10/05/26 04:42 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Dec 2007
Kanabec Cty, MN
The best pair I ever looked thru belonged to one of the border patrol agents that corralled my car at sunrise on dirt road south of Bisbee, AZ. Turns out I was just one mile from the border sitting on my rental car glassing to the south over the dessert on vacation. Took quite a bit of convincing that I was just an unlocal yokel from MN birding. Guess all the trails I was seeing from the south weren’t game trails, lol. His took both arms and some muscle to hold up, were motion stabilized and could capture images. They were probably military and could do a whole lot more.


I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670889
10/05/26 06:08 PM
10/05/26 06:08 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Ky
S
squirrelslayer Offline
trapper
squirrelslayer  Offline
trapper
S

Joined: Aug 2009
Ky
Vortex Diamondback and leupold bx-1 are the 2 cheap binos worth looking through if youre east of the mississippi. I got my bx-1 for under $100 bucks and they're great for the deer woods or anything say 750 yards or less. Farther than that or continuous use for more than a few minutes and you'll want something in the $500 or up range

Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670900
10/05/26 06:58 PM
10/05/26 06:58 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Montana
D
D.T. Offline
trapper
D.T.  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Dec 2006
Montana
I have quite a few pairs but I think a pair of 8x would be better in your country. I actually like them a bit more out here. Lots of glassing in the west and guys get wrapped up trying to count inches. iMO, 8’s let you scan more country and good glass will clear it up. I have vortex for beater work and some leica’s for the nice stuff

Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670914
10/05/26 07:53 PM
10/05/26 07:53 PM
Joined: Oct 2011
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Oct 2011
Idaho
I'll 4th or 5th or whatever the Vortex Diamondbacks. They aren't high quality glass, but for the price point I don't think they can be beat. And Vortex have a great lifetime warranty and are great to deal with. Leupold also have a great warranty, I can't tell you how they are to deal with on warranty because I've never owned a Leupold optic that needed sent in, but they have a very good reputation. I love Leupold scopes, but at least to my eyes the Vortex Diamondbacks beat the Leupold bx-1 all to pieces.

I use fairly expensive binos, but I've been around and used a lot of cheaper ones at times, and always recommend the Diamondbacks for those on a budget. Just don't look through a pair of Razors, Leicas or Swarvorskis first, or you won't be satisfied. wink

Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670918
10/05/26 08:00 PM
10/05/26 08:00 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Swords Creek, VA
A
ABeardedTrapper Offline
trapper
ABeardedTrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Joined: Dec 2018
Swords Creek, VA
Newt, do yourself a favor and get a set of Vortex. Lifetime warranty no questions asked, and the customer service is phenomenal.

Re: Binoculars [Re: Newt] #8670920
10/05/26 08:04 PM
10/05/26 08:04 PM
Joined: Jan 2025
NC
J
Joco1995 Offline
trapper
Joco1995  Offline
trapper
J

Joined: Jan 2025
NC
Another vote for vortex buy once cry once

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread