Strictly Trapping


No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)



TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum



Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver snaring #8671832
10/08/26 10:18 AM
10/08/26 10:18 AM
Joined: May 2025
Texas
O
Outdoor todd Offline OP
trapper
Outdoor todd  Offline OP
trapper
O

Joined: May 2025
Texas
I am wanting to snare some beaver next year so i need some info on what you are using for cable and locks
And how do you build them
And why do you never really here about 1/16 cable?

Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8671848
10/08/26 10:42 AM
10/08/26 10:42 AM
Joined: Aug 2011
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Aug 2011
james bay frontierOnt.
I have snared loads of beaver with 1/16 1x19 cable mostly under ice or drownd under open water with tangle stakes.
Have snared a few alive in certain nuisance situations but since I mostly trap for the fur I dont like the damage a snare does to the pelt when it is held alive for any length of time in a snare.
There is no pelt damage from a snare when the beaver is caught under ice or held under water.
Of course pelt damage is irelevant if the pelts are bought for the felt trade or tossed as nuisance.
A suitable snare for beaver is 1\16 1x19 gac with an adams lock

Last edited by Boco; 10/08/26 10:43 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8671856
10/08/26 11:02 AM
10/08/26 11:02 AM
Joined: May 2025
Texas
O
Outdoor todd Offline OP
trapper
Outdoor todd  Offline OP
trapper
O

Joined: May 2025
Texas
So if I have entanglement would 1/16 work fine for beaver and coyotes? Or bump it up to 5/64 or 3/32?

Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8671884
10/08/26 12:18 PM
10/08/26 12:18 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Aug 2011
james bay frontierOnt.
Coyotes will chew thru cable unless dispatched quickly.Beaver wont chew thru cable but they will kink it up something fierce if held alive for any length of time
If I had small coyotes here I would use 5\64 1x19 minimum with a kill spring or kill stick.I consistently dispatch timber wolves with 1x19 3\32 gac with a toothed cam lock.
Difficult to consistently dispatch beaver on land with snares as they often get a leg or two thru the loop.
Not as easy to consistently neck snare beaver unlike cats or canines..

Last edited by Boco; 10/08/26 12:21 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8671888
10/08/26 12:26 PM
10/08/26 12:26 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Joined: Dec 2006
Port Republic South Jersey
I'v snared 100's of beaver in 1/16" 1x19 cable for damage control. No ice
1/16" 1x19 works well for experienced snare man inexperienced snare man will get to many twist outs. Plus 1/16" 1x19 is hard on the fur.

I would recommend 5/64" 1x19 cable. The best snare I build for beaver is mid swiveled.5 /64" 1x19 40",Newt's Master Lock,6/0 barrel swivel,3/32" 7x7 66" loop end.


South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 15-16-17 2027
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------









www.snareone.com
Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8671890
10/08/26 12:31 PM
10/08/26 12:31 PM
Joined: May 2025
Texas
O
Outdoor todd Offline OP
trapper
Outdoor todd  Offline OP
trapper
O

Joined: May 2025
Texas
Ok I am not buying in bulk this year but next you I am would 7x7 work fine with 5/64?

Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8671894
10/08/26 12:41 PM
10/08/26 12:41 PM
Joined: May 2025
Texas
O
Outdoor todd Offline OP
trapper
Outdoor todd  Offline OP
trapper
O

Joined: May 2025
Texas
I found a place i can buy 1/19 in smaller rolls.

Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8671910
10/08/26 01:29 PM
10/08/26 01:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
1/16 is a lot more finicky to load especially as you go up in loop size.Bd/or you try to put a heavy load on it. Not very beginner friendly. Lot of entanglement and a live beaver or the incidental otter or coon doesn't end well. Plus the fur damage issue if to don't neck snare rh the m or don't get them drowned fast.

7x7 I would not use for the same reason as the 1/16th.

Buy in bulk if you can unless you just want to experiment. It's way cheaper in the long term just in inflation cost...



Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8671929
10/08/26 02:31 PM
10/08/26 02:31 PM
Joined: May 2025
Texas
O
Outdoor todd Offline OP
trapper
Outdoor todd  Offline OP
trapper
O

Joined: May 2025
Texas
thanks

Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8672017
10/08/26 07:13 PM
10/08/26 07:13 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper

Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
5/64" 1x19 makes a nice round loop when loaded. A slim lock or microlock works fast on that cable.

But, many, many, many beaver have been snared with 3/32" 7x7 with penny-size washer locks.


Thank God For Your Blessings!
Taste Your Words Before You Spit Them Out!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8672058
10/08/26 08:30 PM
10/08/26 08:30 PM
Joined: May 2025
Texas
O
Outdoor todd Offline OP
trapper
Outdoor todd  Offline OP
trapper
O

Joined: May 2025
Texas
Do you like the micro lock for coyotes or something like a cam

Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8672136
10/08/26 11:27 PM
10/08/26 11:27 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper

Joined: Apr 2009
South Ga - Almost Florida
Only beavers are legal to snare in Georgia.....so my knowledge is limited to beavers.


Thank God For Your Blessings!
Taste Your Words Before You Spit Them Out!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8672219
Yesterday at 08:44 AM
Yesterday at 08:44 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Outdoor todd
Do you like the micro lock for coyotes or something like a cam

any lock works for coyotes, some better than others. Micros dont lock up quite as well as other locks though.



Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8672227
Yesterday at 09:06 AM
Yesterday at 09:06 AM
Joined: May 2025
Texas
O
Outdoor todd Offline OP
trapper
Outdoor todd  Offline OP
trapper
O

Joined: May 2025
Texas
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Only beavers are legal to snare in Georgia.....so my knowledge is limited to beavers.

I have been reading on all of it alot and you can snare beaver in Texas just not on public waters and with a 36 hour check

Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8672473
Yesterday at 07:32 PM
Yesterday at 07:32 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Georgia
warrior Online content
trapper
warrior  Online Content
trapper

Joined: Jan 2007
Georgia
Originally Posted by Outdoor todd
I am wanting to snare some beaver next year so i need some info on what you are using for cable and locks
And how do you build them
And why do you never really here about 1/16 cable?


1/16 1x19 is favored by many in the know but many have never given it a chance or used it wrong.

1x19 excels in holding a stiff round loop even without loading. Load it and it fires exceptionally fast.
However, that same lack of flex can bring problems if kinked or bent hard so it is mandatory to use mid snare swiveling.

I make up my own using 36" of 1/16 1x19 (could drop down to 30") an inline barrel swivel and 36" of 5/32 7x7 with a end #9 wire swivel. Extensions are made up of the same 5/32 and swivel.

I make up extra snare loops bending back the end loop into the double ferrule but don't crimp it. In the field I can cut off catches and used loops and add new. I have a 1/16 only crimper that aren't much bigger than a pair of pliers. The 5/32 almost always can be reused if no entanglement.


[Linked Image]
Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8672547
19 hours ago
19 hours ago
Joined: Nov 2010
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Joined: Nov 2010
Rochester, MN
I’ve adopted the Billingsley method of snaring which always gives me a live beaver. Since I check everyday, I either find them exploring their dry environment or swimming back and forth out in the water. In most cases the beavers are quite docile.

For snares, I usually use about 36 inches of 5/64, 7x7, an in-line swivel, followed by 7 or so feet of 3/32. The snare is either earth anchored or rebar staked up on the bank.

I’ve successfully used 5/64 1x19 but I like the 7x7 better. Personal choice, I guess.

I’ve built some 1/16 7x7 to try this year. Mostly for beavers. We’ll see how it works. Without entanglement, I think I’ll be okay.


Never too old to learn
Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Teacher] #8672697
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Teacher
I’ve adopted the Billingsley method of snaring which always gives me a live beaver. Since I check everyday, I either find them exploring their dry environment or swimming back and forth out in the water. In most cases the beavers are quite docile.

For snares, I usually use about 36 inches of 5/64, 7x7, an in-line swivel, followed by 7 or so feet of 3/32. The snare is either earth anchored or rebar staked up on the bank.

I’ve successfully used 5/64 1x19 but I like the 7x7 better. Personal choice, I guess.

I’ve built some 1/16 7x7 to try this year. Mostly for beavers. We’ll see how it works. Without entanglement, I think I’ll be okay.


After the initial flurry or activity, most of the time they dont move around a lot till you get almost on top of them.. With the right banks and a neck snared beaver, that initial activity can result in a DOA beaver.



Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8672705
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
Joined: May 2025
Texas
O
Outdoor todd Offline OP
trapper
Outdoor todd  Offline OP
trapper
O

Joined: May 2025
Texas
Would you trust 20 inch rebar at the harder bank on an 8 foot snare?

Re: Beaver snaring [Re: Outdoor todd] #8672732
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
Should be fine if it's indeed a hard clay bank and they can't get 8 feet above your stake



Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1