No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum ~ Live Chat

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Wind direction when trapping #8671957
10/08/26 04:29 PM
10/08/26 04:29 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Central Pa. 65
B
bic Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline OP
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Joined: Jan 2008
Central Pa. 65
I know this Topic has been discussed before. But when making sets, the direction the air is moving during the day can be completely different than the direction the air moves at dusk or at night. This is because of the Thermals. How many of you remember to play the thermals when you are picking your set location?


Just because you CAN
Doesn't mean you SHOULD!
Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8671958
10/08/26 04:35 PM
10/08/26 04:35 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2 Offline
trapper
MikeTraps2  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Ames, IA
2 set one set plays the normal winds the other set plays the abnormal one, the one playing the less common wind should be flashy eye appealing set IE. dirthole, feathers fur etc, the other set playing the wind can be any kind.


Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8671968
10/08/26 05:08 PM
10/08/26 05:08 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Aug 2011
james bay frontierOnt.
Keep all scent near or on the ground.
I laugh when people say to put lure on a branch up in a tree.


Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: Boco] #8671971
10/08/26 05:17 PM
10/08/26 05:17 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
trapper
Yes sir  Offline
trapper
Y

Joined: Jan 2017
Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Boco
Keep all scent near or on the ground.
I laugh when people say to put lure on a branch up in a tree.

Oh stop it..... im sure someone has caught a critter doing it so it "works". Plus u might offend someone.

Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: Yes sir] #8671985
10/08/26 05:40 PM
10/08/26 05:40 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Northern Maine
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Boco
Keep all scent near or on the ground.
I laugh when people say to put lure on a branch up in a tree.

Oh stop it..... im sure someone has caught a critter doing it so it "works". Plus u might offend someone.

Plus with skunk you don't get into it yourself. grin


NRA,NTA,MTA,FTA

Proud member of NTA
Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8671990
10/08/26 05:46 PM
10/08/26 05:46 PM
Joined: May 2019
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Joined: May 2019
Saskatchewan
I place every set thinking NW wind.

Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8672004
10/08/26 06:29 PM
10/08/26 06:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Joined: Dec 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Always check the forecast and have a compass on hand when setting.

Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8672027
10/08/26 07:40 PM
10/08/26 07:40 PM
Joined: Jul 2011
Oregon
K
klam.rat Offline
trapper
klam.rat  Offline
trapper
K

Joined: Jul 2011
Oregon
If you put the trap where the animal is going to be the wind shouldn't matter much.


Hope burns eternal in the heart of a trapper.

There's nothing colder than a fur buyers heart!
Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8672028
10/08/26 07:40 PM
10/08/26 07:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

Joined: Aug 2008
ny
I put my sets wherever I feel like it,,and just make sure not to pee into the wind.I climb the nearest tree and put bait at the top of that.I put lure a quarter mile away in every direction in case the wind swirrels.I used to make rub post sets and caught lots of fox and coyotes,,,but was told I cant do that anymore cause I dont have a youtube channel.Hope this helps.

Last edited by upstateNY; 10/08/26 07:47 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8672059
10/08/26 08:31 PM
10/08/26 08:31 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Joined: Dec 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
lol

Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8672171
10/09/26 06:24 AM
10/09/26 06:24 AM
Joined: Mar 2026
michigan
D
Dahlgren Trapper Offline
trapper
Dahlgren Trapper  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Mar 2026
michigan
what mike traps, said ,always two set for canines

Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8672173
10/09/26 06:30 AM
10/09/26 06:30 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

Joined: Dec 2006
williamsburg ks
I prefer most sets to have eye appeal. The only exception is that rare coyote or beaver that is truly trap shy.


Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8672221
10/09/26 08:53 AM
10/09/26 08:53 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
La Crosse, WI
If you have ever hunted over dogs or worked with search dogs. Wind direction definitely comes into play. It depending on how you work the dogs. What you are trying to accomplish. That's can be different with each dog each situation.

As for how I set trap and lure based on my experience with bird dogs. . Just like many things we do out doors. First is location, then set on sign, then how I decide to play the wind if I do at all.
To each their own based on intended out come and experience. Just to many variables to say always do this.

TMTCW

Mac


"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8672224
10/09/26 09:04 AM
10/09/26 09:04 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Rodney,Ohio
out in the fields i dont think about the thermals. when i get back into the hills you definitely need to pay attention to thermals. Air moves up during the day, falls down the hills at night. Thermals can be quite strong at night.



Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8672250
10/09/26 10:09 AM
10/09/26 10:09 AM
Joined: Aug 2011
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Joined: Aug 2011
Peoria County Illinois
For me it depends on the set. If I am on a hill with thermals and it's a flat set I try to play the wind. If I have something of interest in a small valley I set higher so the coyote can see it and the wind plays no part. If i set a saddle tail the wind plays no part. If I make a big hole where a coyote sees it - the window plays no part. To me the answer is '' It depends''


Just passin through
Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: SNIPERBBB] #8672269
10/09/26 10:46 AM
10/09/26 10:46 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Wisconsin
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
out in the fields i dont think about the thermals. when i get back into the hills you definitely need to pay attention to thermals. Air moves up during the day, falls down the hills at night. Thermals can be quite strong at night.


Indeed, same goes for the water trapper alongside "hills." I trap out of a boat where I can, drag an otter sled where I can't.

In minky locations with sloping bank above, I use a 3" auger to drill a chimney that meets the back end of a small diameter pocket that extends back a ways. Bait gets pinned to the very back end of the pocket, just behind the confluence with the vertical shaft. Drowner cable runs to terminal end in sufficient depth that is shared with another cable to a blind set nearby, but not too close to avoid entanglement.

Pocket cable has two drowner locks on it. First lock is hooked up to a #1 coilspring back in the pocket, as far back as the chain will allow. Second lock connected to a #11 that guards the entrance with chain tight to the lock slid down the cable towards the terminal end, but snugged into the bottom to avoid the 'coon lifting it up.

Cooling night air flows downhill, down the chimney, and out the mouth of the pocket. Often I have two critters at the terminal end from the pocket, both submerged and dispatched. Sometimes three with the blind set connecting.

Sounds like a lot of foo foo rah for this version of the elbow set. Having your drowner cables all prepped and ready to use at the site is advantageous. The proper pocket shovel can dig that narrow tunnel out quickly, providing you have that kind of bank to work with. I use an older Trapper Art's round shovel. And the 3" hole above can be knocked out quickly too. This set can be dug out and waiting prior to your setting it up, if you have that kind of time. In the right situation, this set will be there from one season to the next providing a 'coon doesn't destroy it or flood waters alter the bank.



Lifetime member of WTA and NTA
Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8672270
10/09/26 10:47 AM
10/09/26 10:47 AM
Joined: Aug 2011
Craigmont, Idaho
M
marty weatherup Offline
trapper
marty weatherup  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Aug 2011
Craigmont, Idaho
I try to set to take advantage of the prevailing winds, and we always have wind, but some situations prevent setting with the wind. Fence lines, natural structure, etc. In those cases, eye appeal is my go to. T bones, badger holes or dirt holes. Being on target for animal travel is every bit as important.


Trail cameras and fresh snow have broke a lot of trapper’s hearts.
Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8672277
10/09/26 11:19 AM
10/09/26 11:19 AM
Joined: Feb 2020
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Joined: Feb 2020
Indiana
Humans nose are poor compared to animals. After years with beagles later bird dogs I came to appreciate how sent works when hunting and trapping. I try to use it to my advantage any time I can. At least how I think it works without the ability to be able to know first hand just through observation on animal behavior. My interpretation may not always be correct.

Re: Wind direction when trapping [Re: bic] #8672399
10/09/26 05:06 PM
10/09/26 05:06 PM
Joined: Oct 2011
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Oct 2011
Idaho
If I make draw stations, which I do rarely, I definitely play the wind. Otherwise, I prefer to set right in the animals path of travel, then wind isn't a factor. If I can't, such as if their travel is down a road and I have to set off to the side, I usually will make sets on both sides. Because here the wind changes often, and you can't depend on it blowing the way you want or expect, when your target comes through.

Boco,
only time I put lure on a branch is when making marten sets, then I usually smear the lure on the tree, or a branch, above the box. Otherwise I want the lure to direct the animals nose, and thus direct his feet into my trap.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread