Cooking on the Wild Side

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Smoking.........Best Jerky You ever made! #825378
08/08/08 01:08 PM
08/08/08 01:08 PM
Central Texas
Wild Ed Offline OP
trapper
Wild Ed  Offline OP
trapper

Central Texas
The Best Jerky you ever made!
TEXAS STYLE JERKY

Cut lean strips of venison, beef, chicken or turkey. The pieces should be no more than ¾ inch thick at the most but as large as you want them. Trim off all fat as it will turn rancid as the meat dries.Fill a large mixing bowl with water and stir in equal amounts of Brown Sugar and Salt until it starts to fall out, kind of like a glass of tea with to much sugar in it.Stir in 1 Teaspoon of Garlic powder,½ Teaspoon of Allspice ¼ Teaspoon of ground Cloves.Add meat and soak in the brine for 4-8 hours in a refrigerator.Remove meat from brine and rinse in cold water.Roll or shake on coarse ground black pepper to taste.Do not use table ground black pepper or it will have to strong a pepper taste. Remember course ground adds flavor fine ground adds heat.Arrange meat on a smoker and slow smoke with your favorite wood keeping the heat under 170 degrees until fully smoked. I smoke mine overnight. I use very dry or seasoned mesquite with no green left in the wood. If you do not have a smoker you can do this in your oven, just add liquid smoke to the original brine and dry on your ovens lowest setting or warm setting. Place a wood spoon in the oven door so moisture can escape and dry meat to the texture and hardness desired. You can then place jerky in a bowl in the refrigerator for up to a week to finish dehydrating. It never lasts that long at my place. Place any extra in a bag in the freezer and take out about 2 hours before you intend to eat it.
Enjoy, Wild Ed

Last edited by Buzzard; 02/04/09 06:12 PM.

Make time for the important things in life
http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/
Re: The Best Jerky You ever made! [Re: Wild Ed] #932378
10/15/08 12:41 AM
10/15/08 12:41 AM
Georgia
GaTrapper Offline
trapper
GaTrapper  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I will try this recipe this year. I have food allergies that limits me to what I can marinade my food with but this one will be fine. Thanks!!

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread