ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Pigeon- Pigeon "Hang-out" problem. #951582
10/26/08 01:32 AM
10/26/08 01:32 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline OP
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline OP
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I have a building where pigeons are just hanging out on the roof and the business owners have been told by the mayor that they had to do something about the birds. There are no roosting areas just the roof with no nooks and crannies.

So far the trapping option is the favored option as on-site killing of the birds has been refused. Are there any simple methods to us on a job like this, anything overly expensive I have been told will likely be declined.

Re: Pigeon "Hang-out" problem. [Re: SNIPERBBB] #951652
10/26/08 06:43 AM
10/26/08 06:43 AM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
There are several physical deterrents like spikes, Kaba Tape There are of course several options available for correcting this!

Last sundays show was on resolving difficult bird problems
Click To Listen

Part Two of Resolving Difficult Bird problems you are more then welcome to call in after 8 PM EDT

If the mayor says they need to resolve this bird problem they will be spending whatever it takes to keep it under control.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Pigeon "Hang-out" problem. [Re: Robb Russell] #951991
10/26/08 12:45 PM
10/26/08 12:45 PM
virginia
B
bobkat Offline
trapper
bobkat  Offline
trapper
B

virginia
I am with Robb; if they don' want to spend the money, they don't want to fix the problem. 30 years of bird work and its always about the money.

Re: Pigeon "Hang-out" problem. [Re: bobkat] #953784
10/27/08 12:55 PM
10/27/08 12:55 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Online mad
trapper
BigBob  Online Mad
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
I don't understand how the city can force anyone to take care of a nuiscance WILDLIFE problem.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Pigeon "Hang-out" problem. [Re: BigBob] #953892
10/27/08 01:45 PM
10/27/08 01:45 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
BigBob,
Cities can and do enforce health codes, not only against companies, but against individual homeowners as well. That's where a lot of WCO work comes from. We had a guy who thought the price to keep seagulls off of his companies roof was too expensive. He sent a couple of his maintainance guys up there with push brooms. They pushed off droopings, nests, eggs, chicks, and everything else. They pushed themselves right onto the front page of our largest newspaper. The fines were a lot more than the exclusion would have been!

Re: Pigeon "Hang-out" problem. [Re: BigBob] #955451
10/28/08 02:40 AM
10/28/08 02:40 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Originally Posted By: BigBob
I don't understand how the city can force anyone to take care of a nuiscance WILDLIFE problem.

It happens frequently right in St. Louis, as I have been involved with some of these situations. The only wildlife service I provide in St. Louis (or any of Missouri) is dealing with bats. When animal control is called to get a bat from a residence, it is reported to the department of public health. After the 2nd call to the same residence, the owners are required to have the bat problem resolved. On the 3rd call, the residents can and often are evicted from their home by DPH for safety reasons.

Illinois DPH forced a local building owner to evict all renters from their second story apartments in an older brick structure (business building on a main street). Bats were getting into the living quarters every night for a 5 day period. The owner had me inspect the building and I provided an estimate for a complete bat-proofing and exclusion program, which she refused. DPH called me and wanted to know why I wasn't taking care of the problem. I told them she was not going to pay for the service, and they shut her down the next day.

Some people think these measures (by the states) are too harsh, but the DPH is responsible for human safety, and when people are in a dangerous situation they will take whatever measures necessary to protect the residents. A local school (Shelbyville, IL) was recently shut down for several days due to bats inside the ceiling areas (300 to 500 bats). There was a chance of Histoplasmosis spores possibly being airborne through the ventilation system.

Regarding the pigeon issue, if outside city limits I would give the owner a bid for shooting (reasonably priced), one for trapping (considerably higher), and netting or other roost inhibitor installation (extremely costly). If the mayor can't prove this is a serious health issue, the owner should tell the city board that he will pay for the least expensive method, and if the city wants a complete exclusion program, fork out the money for the difference.

BTW..... shooting or trapping will NOT provide a solution unless followed up with exclusion work. The favorable conditions that attracted these pigeons will also attract "replacement" pigeons to the same location.

Ron Scheller

Re: Pigeon "Hang-out" problem. [Re: Ron Scheller] #955677
10/28/08 08:56 AM
10/28/08 08:56 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Ron, is thjs section 8 type housing you are talking about????
Myself.....If the city told me I had to do something......and it was conventional rent ....I would kill every bat and dump them in the street for them to clean up along with the poop

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Pigeon "Hang-out" problem. [Re: Vinke] #957675
10/29/08 01:52 AM
10/29/08 01:52 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Dave..... The Illinois building was a privately owned business structure (carpet and flooring center) in which the owner rents 4 upstairs apartments.

The Missouri home was privately owned.... these folks had called animal control 6 times in 2 months for bats in their home. They had 2 young children in the home, which I think may be the reason they were told to move out until the situation was resolved.

Also not a good idea about killing the bats.... I just did a home in Vandalia (IL) that had a next door neighbor get some nice fines for doing such a thing. They were remodeling a front porch, and discovered a colony of bats in the ceiling. Started whacking them with baseball bats and tennis rackets. Illinois DNR has a regional office 5 blocks away, and the regional wildlife biologist paid them a visit. Originally planned to inform them that bats are a protected species here, but the owner turned into Joe Jerk and the tickets started piling up.

Ron Scheller

Re: Pigeon "Hang-out" problem. [Re: Ron Scheller] #958017
10/29/08 10:22 AM
10/29/08 10:22 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Ron I know it is not the way to do it......but "forced action" by government P's me Off!
The tenets had the opportunity to move (bat would be reason to brake lease)

If the Government is concerned and involved they should be allotting the owner capital to preform the actions needed to prevent further problems........

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Pigeon "Hang-out" problem. [Re: Vinke] #968398
11/04/08 01:23 AM
11/04/08 01:23 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline OP
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline OP
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Something I have noticed on my next to last visit to the building in question is that they tend to stay within a few feet of the crown of the roof. Is that a normal behavior as I am looking at the Kaba tape as it would be a perfect solution?

Wish I could of put a leash on that red-tailed hawk that was sitting on roof today when I came in..pigeons were staying away, far away.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper