Sweet Pickled Beaver
1 Beaver, skinned and 1/2 ts Ground cloves
-cleaned 1/2 c Brown sugar
1/2 c Vinegar 1/2 c Dry white wine or apple
1 tb Salt -juice
2 ts Soda 1 c Pineapple juice
2 tb Dry mustard Juice and grated rind of
3 tb Mixed pickling spice -1 lemon
1 ts Cinnamon
1. Wash beaver thoroughly with salt water, then let soak overnight in enough cold water to cover, adding 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 tablespoon salt to the water
2. The next day, remove the beaver from the brine, wash and cover with a solution of 2 teaspoons soda to 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Drain and rinse the beaver, then place it in a clean pot. Add water just to cover. Sprinkle mixed pickling spice on top, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Drain and rinse beaver, pat dry and place in a roaster.
5. Mix mustard, spices, sugar, wine and fruit juices and spread over beaver.
6. Cover and roast at 325 degrees F. until tender, basting frequently.
Last edited by Buzzard; 02/04/09 05:11 PM.