ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Starting- New to ADC #194574
05/02/07 01:29 PM
05/02/07 01:29 PM
Buffalo, Wyoming
A
alonzo2006 Offline OP
trapper
alonzo2006  Offline OP
trapper
A

Buffalo, Wyoming
I am new here and was wanting to see if anyone could give me some help on ADC Trapping. I am interested in starting up but dont know much about it. I enjoy trapping and do it only as a hobby at the moment, but would like to be able to do it for a living. So I guess what i am asking is how and what does it take to get started in ADC Trapping. Any help would be great.
Thanks Alonzo

Re: New to ADC [Re: alonzo2006] #194616
05/02/07 02:43 PM
05/02/07 02:43 PM
OH - IO
D
Dtwarrow Offline
trapper
Dtwarrow  Offline
trapper
D

OH - IO
First I would talk to your local DNR and ask them the same. Then get a copy of the regs for your state. Some states all you need is to apply for a liscence, others you have to pay... others... whatever... but find that out... Decide if you can and want to do this.
ADC work is NOTHING like trapping fur IMHO. If you can get away with only working for farms and large property owners then good for you, but most of those folk are not going to pay you what you need to survive just to catch some groundhogs or coyotes... they will probably do it themselves or allow hunting on their land, or simply allow trapping on their land and not need to pay for it.
So you will be working in Suberbia. You will be working with people in front of people and in the public eye. You will be in attics and basements, chimneys and shower stalls (yes), and you will be on roof tops and in back yards where kids will be playing soccer and dogs and cats running around. Maybe office buildings... who knows... That is part of the job.. you never know what will happen. So if you are alright with that then great, Now you have to get the money to start up. That is all you, How much do you need? You have to advertize in some way, and you have to be insured. You have to have at least one truck / suv / van... You have to have multiple ladders, generally a lot of cage traps, catch pole (notice I did not say release pole ) And there is a lot more that will be area specific. You have to have business cards and contracts and ... bla bla bla.. lots of stuff you won't think you will want or need you will. But that will all come with time. If you want to do it and are willing to do whatever it takes, then go for it. Get startup money and get insured and licensed and start advertizing... That is the basics.

Life is not how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Re: New to ADC [Re: alonzo2006] #194617
05/02/07 02:44 PM
05/02/07 02:44 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Alonzo welcome
If require by you state you will need a lic..(contact your fish and wildlife office).The population to support the buisness and money survive untill you can get your name out there....Buisness smarts.....people skills..a small truck...traps and ladders..AND....An understanding of the animals you are dealing with...Dave

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: New to ADC [Re: Vinke] #194988
05/02/07 09:45 PM
05/02/07 09:45 PM
Buffalo, Wyoming
A
alonzo2006 Offline OP
trapper
alonzo2006  Offline OP
trapper
A

Buffalo, Wyoming
Thanks Alot for your input. Now I atleast have a starting point.

Re: New to ADC [Re: alonzo2006] #195238
05/03/07 07:16 AM
05/03/07 07:16 AM
Ohio
M
Mike Dwyer Offline
trapper
Mike Dwyer  Offline
trapper
M

Ohio
Alonzo,

I've spent some great times in Buffalo and points just south hunting antelope and deer. At well under 5,000 population in town and the rest of the market being mostly ranches you may have a very difficult time doing it for a living there. Don't quit your day job just yet and don't go spending a bunch of money gearing up for the big bucks of ADC in the Bufalo area. You are doing it for a hobby now so start there, see what folks are willing to pay you in that market and build slow. After considering the expenses and hassles involved in starting and then operating an an actual ADC business you might find it more profitble to continue to provide your hobby ADC services at no charge in the Buffalo area in exchange for fur trapping privileges during season and then hit the fur really hard for your profit. Good luck.

Mike Dwyer, President
Critter Control, Inc.
"Protecting People, Property & Wildlife"

Discover 'Animal Facts,' have fun with 'Animal Trivia,' and send 'Critter Cards' FREE at http://www.crittercontrol.com

Re: New to ADC [Re: Mike Dwyer] #195247
05/03/07 07:31 AM
05/03/07 07:31 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
Wyoming has several adc programs last I knew-county and state,,may be hard to get paid there in adc.

Re: New to ADC [Re: west river rogue] #195280
05/03/07 08:33 AM
05/03/07 08:33 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
I agree with Mike. Typically rural and western low population areas arent good investments if expecting to make a decent living from. Not to discourage anyone. But the facts remain as the self sufficient type individuals will take care of most of their own issues. The other ones they get from Wildlife Services for free. Population areas are what one needs to really make a go in nuisance wildlife work.

If not planning on relocating I would suggest doing what you can with what opportunities you get and see how it pans out there. You will most likely get some work but to really pay the bills it may be cost prohibitive in such a location.

Start slow and work it until you know if there is any real potential within your demographic area.

Re: New to ADC [Re: Bob Jameson] #195850
05/03/07 09:26 PM
05/03/07 09:26 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Bob and Mike bring up some very good points. I live in a rural area but I work mostly in the cities and towns across a 9 county area. Therefore, I am on the road a lot. Too much for my liking really, but it pays the bills. With rising fuel cost, I may have to rethink my service area. Most of my trapping involves mole work but the numbers seem to be down and the calls less than years past. I get some beaver, coyote and fox calls in rural areas but not enough to make a living off of. My real money comes from bat work but that is seasonal. Raccoons,skunks, groundhogs and squirrels are the constant money makers for me. I work in some big cities but also some little towns that most larger companies don't go to. Don't give up too soon! When you're good, word travels! Might lead to a better offer somewhere, who knows.

Re: New to ADC [Re: LT GREY] #196364
05/04/07 12:47 PM
05/04/07 12:47 PM
NE
SVantassel Offline
trapper
SVantassel  Offline
trapper

NE
I would be sure to visit http://icwdm.org there is a ton of information there to help you get started.

Stephen M. Vantassel, CWCP, MNI, ACP
Wildlifecontrolconsultant.com
402-489-1042
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper