ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
This really happened to me ! Part 2 #3194048
06/20/12 01:59 PM
06/20/12 01:59 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline OP
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline OP
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Intro to thread from Part 1-
Originally Posted By: LT GREY
In keeping up with new ideas and to keep the ADC forum fresh, I thought it would be a great idea to tell a funny or interesting story that has happened to us while doing our control jobs. One that others would find amusing or at least interesting. We've all had some odd or downright unbelieveable things happen to us. Mind you, this is for something that actually happened. So, why not share it with us.

Part 1 can be found at-
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/214229/This_really_happened_to_me#Post214229
There are many interesting stories there; post new comments here.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: This really happened to me ! Part 2 [Re: LAtrapper] #3194084
06/20/12 02:27 PM
06/20/12 02:27 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
No one, who's anyone in business, and handles large amounts of skunks will not get sprayed at some point in their career.
I don't care how careful you are.

I can tell you you a dozen ways to handle skunks and NOT get sprayed, ( water hoses, tarps, etc. ) but every now and then you're going to have a rouge skunk
or something won't go according to plan and you're gonna get hit !

I can detect a skunk's personality as good as anyone but, even I mess up and it usually because I get careless or in a hurry.
The other day, after transferring six skunks into one cage, and impressing the customer mind you, I got sprayed while I was adjusting the cage trap in the back of the truck.
I accidentally tipped over a young raccoon in a cage trap, and as I reached for it to tip it back over....BAM ! ...the lights just went out...

On a hurry and on my way out of town, I heard a noise, looked up to see flashing lights behind me...@#$%$# !
Upon pulling over, I see in the rearview mirror, an officer approaching me from behind.
As I turn to say, "Howdy Officer, What was the problem ?" , I see this look of horror cross his face... shocked

"OMG !" he exclaims, Did you just get sprayed by a !@#$#@ skunk ? sick
"Yes", I said, "Yes I did and I'm on the way to the hospital"...

"What did I do wrong?" I asked
"OMG !" he said, "never m-m-mind"
"Just ( spits, gags, holding his nose and mouth) just go on..."
" I'm letting you go with a warning."

I guess getting sprayed by a skunk does have it advantages.
laugh

( and how was your day ? )

Re: This really happened to me ! Part 2 [Re: LAtrapper] #3194410
06/20/12 06:29 PM
06/20/12 06:29 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
I was standing next to a trapped skunk one time . About 20' away maybe closer but not in a alarming way . I was also talking on the phone to a new customer , when I felt rain drops on my lips . So I look up thinking what is it raining . No its the skunk spraying my face . That's really nice . And me and that skunk had a few words I tell ya . So next I head to the store to buy a few gallons of vinager for bath time . I'm at the self check out when the check lady comes running saying do you know you have been sprayed by a skunk . I go really do you think so . The nexted day I stop at bank and the lady's eyes look like there starting to burn , I go do you smell something like a skunk . She said ya but I didn't want to say anything because I don't know who it is And don't wish to hurt there feeling , what a sweet heart . Think I still had some on my boots and hat .
I was out coon hunting one night , we where rig hunting , so my buddy's dog strikes . So I stop and we let the dog down and she takes off down the road into a culvert and grabs this skunk right by the rear end , that skunk lets go right down that dogs throat . My buddy's mad and a coon hunter mad at his dog running trash is not a good thing for the dog . I'm trying to talk my buddy down when his dog jumps in my truck a barfs up all over my truck . Ok now I'm mad . He's talking me down now . That was end of that hunt .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: This really happened to me ! Part 2 [Re: LAtrapper] #3194423
06/20/12 06:37 PM
06/20/12 06:37 PM
Kentucky
TimsWildlifeCtrl Offline
trapper
TimsWildlifeCtrl  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
I was up in an attic of a large condominium. The land lord said they had coons up there. Kitten coons are in season now so I was prepared to deal with that. I saw 2 Kitten coons in the soffit area on top of a window sill. I heard the mama but could not locate her. I put on my welders gloves and snatched one of the kittens, put it in the live trap and went for the other. I grabbed the last one and before I could get straitened up... here comes mama. Looked me strait in the eye and was coming on strong. I put the kitten down and grabbed my catch pole and put it up in front of her head. Before I could get the noose around her neck she turned around and went back down the wall. The customer said he didn't hear any more noises coming from the attic. After a week of trapping with no catches I called it a job... an exciting one.

A county boy can survive! ~Hank Jr.~
Re: This really happened to me ! Part 2 [Re: LAtrapper] #3194583
06/20/12 08:38 PM
06/20/12 08:38 PM
Worcester County, MA
Dave Shumway Offline
trapper
Dave Shumway  Offline
trapper

Worcester County, MA
Soooooo, a couple months ago I was doing a "skunk under the shed" job and had set up the job the day before. On my morning trap check rounds I found I had caught a very pregnant female. So, I picked up the trap carried it to the truck, set up my CO2 chamber placed the trap in it and waited for 15 minutes. Pulled the trap out, disconnected the tubing and put the tank back in the chamber. Dumped out the skunk and went back to the house to reset the trap. Get back to the truck, slammed the tailgate shut, when out of the corner of my eye I saw the little stinker twitch, and then take a breath, and then another. So now I'm in panic mode, skunk is coming to, no traps in the truck, and my chamber has the CO2 tank inside of it. All I could do was open up the chamber grab the skunk by the tail and throw it into the chamber. Well wouldn't ya know it....just as I picked her up she let me have a face full right before I tossed her in. BAD DAY! The last time I got sprayed I was 14. Don't intend to do it again for another 35 years. Oh, and to top it off I had to rig up the chamber with argon gas because my only CO2 tank was keeping company with my little friend......

Re: This really happened to me ! Part 2 [Re: LAtrapper] #3194758
06/20/12 10:37 PM
06/20/12 10:37 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Pesky, do you seriously wear boots and a hat that have been skunked in public the next day???

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: This really happened to me ! Part 2 [Re: LAtrapper] #3194897
06/21/12 12:41 AM
06/21/12 12:41 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Ya sometimes I even fart .

Free Trapper
Re: This really happened to me ! Part 2 [Re: LAtrapper] #3195220
06/21/12 12:21 PM
06/21/12 12:21 PM
Tipton, IN
T
Travis Wolford Offline
trapper
Travis Wolford  Offline
trapper
T

Tipton, IN
man I only have one pair, I reckon if I got sprayed on saturday the preacher would keep the sermon short on sunday!!!!! lol

it is not a stupid question if you do not know the answer
Re: This really happened to me ! Part 2 [Re: LAtrapper] #3195846
06/21/12 09:04 PM
06/21/12 09:04 PM
southwest, VA
andyva Offline
trapper
andyva  Offline
trapper

southwest, VA
HOW BATS HELPED MAKE BOY INTO MAN...or........POO ON ME ONCE, SHAME ON YOU.....

(sorry so long)

This is a story about my first job, after graduating high school, which was in the ADC field. I got burned so bad I stayed away from this business for over twenty years, but just had to come back for more punishment. The job was what some people in this industry would call, a "big bat job".

It seems that a church built in the eighteen hundreds, out of hand made brick, with a standing seam roof and 2 inch lath ceilings, had a drop ceiling installed sometime in the seventies. People quit going to that church shortly thereafter, and the descendants of its members would have a picknic there every summer, and it was just a historical site more than anything. Then an oak limb blew off and came down through the roof and both ceilings, making a problem that had been building for years, now quite evident. The members of the old church got together and decided to offer the job to a shiftless, punk kid from the neighborhood. Being more interested in hunting, fishing, trapping, souping up tillers, and thinking about girls I gave them the highest and most ridiculous price that popped into my head, so that they would surely not hire me. To my surprise the bid was accepted and a handshake sealed the deal. Just a simple matter of tearing out the drop ceiling, with its inch or two of sifted guano, and clean out the attic ceiling and haul off the guano from a few tiny bats, and I would be a five-hundredaire! My plans for becoming independently wealthy were coming along even more quickly than I had been telling the unbelievers they would.

My attitude changed when I actually saw the upper part. I wish now I would have taken pictures. There were three foot tall guano clusters on the beams, the north end had an even two and a half feet. After trying to weasle my way out of it, and my father playing the "you shook on it, now man up and deal with it" card, I worked out a system. I put walk board back through the rafters, shoveled up the guano into bushel baskets, carried them to the hole the limb had made, and down a plastic sheeting chute that went out a window into the back of a 1 ton dump truck. After discovering that guano flies off at highway speed, I didn't fill the bed but a couple or three feet and tarped it on the next five trips to the "dump site", (a bare spot on a hill). It took about two months off and on of backbreaking, hot dirty work, walking on walkboards, and bats by the thousand. They would migrate from the east side in the morning and back in the afternoon. At best I wore a handkercheif, cowboy style, for breathing protection. No vac, just grain shovel. After I got it clean carpenters went in and removed the old ceiling, leaving open beams. The idea was that the bats wouldn't like it as much with the light, and it was easier to clean the floor, than the ceiling.

When I finaly got done I swore I would never do another bat clean-up again,and then, as years went by, I got to where I could barely breathe, convinced I had histoplasmsis. But after giving up various alcohol and tobacco products my histoplasmosis mysteriously went away, and I figured, what the heck, I can work with bats again, they will poop on ya, but they don't make any pretenses about it, which is more than I can say for most workplaces.

And that is just how it happened.

Re: This really happened to me ! Part 2 [Re: LAtrapper] #3196615
06/22/12 01:59 PM
06/22/12 01:59 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
laugh I've had to eat a lot of [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] in my day !

( course...nice when you can get payed well to do it ! ) grin

Re: This really happened to me ! Part 2 [Re: LAtrapper] #3196668
06/22/12 02:56 PM
06/22/12 02:56 PM
S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
On a Call Offline
trapper
On a Call  Offline
trapper

S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
wink

Re: This really happened to me ! Part 2 [Re: LAtrapper] #3196674
06/22/12 03:03 PM
06/22/12 03:03 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Now days you could compost all that organic fertilizer and sell it at these farmers markets . That's very green . Nothing like sweet corn grown in bat crap

Free Trapper
Re: This really happened to me ! Part 2 [Re: LAtrapper] #3199606
06/25/12 08:54 AM
06/25/12 08:54 AM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
laugh Would you even need butter ?

Re: This really happened to me ! Part 2 [Re: LAtrapper] #3244540
07/26/12 12:04 PM
07/26/12 12:04 PM
Kentucky
TimsWildlifeCtrl Offline
trapper
TimsWildlifeCtrl  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Ok, I got this groundhog job a couple of days ago. It was living under the back of this guys shed. I set up my live trap for groundhog using cabbage and whistle pig paste. Got a call the next morning, "You have something in the trap." I drove down there to pick it up. It was a kitten coon. I have caught coons off of that whistle pig paste before, it wasn't too shocking. I figured if I caught a kitten the mama should be close too. So I set up a trap for coons. I sprayed down the cage with coon pee and put a can of cat food in the back. About 4 or 5 hours later I get a call from my customer, "You caught the groundhog." I drove down there to check it out and sure enough there was the ground hog sitting on an empty can of fish flavored cat food.

A county boy can survive! ~Hank Jr.~
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread