Wilderness Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Family Trapper] #4125016
11/20/13 09:30 AM
11/20/13 09:30 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: Family Trapper
I for one when I did set the typical pole set, if I had a chance at all I went for setting under the umbrella of the biggest spruce around just for the protection against snow fall. I personally could never figure why someone would set out in the open when there was protection near by.? Any thoughts on this?

First of all I agree with WB concerning all his reasons for preferring footholds. That occasional fox on a pole set is fun as well as getting rid of that potential trap robber. I hate it when a fox starts running my line eating marten.

But to address Family Trapper's question above....for me it goes like this.

I trap in black spruce because that's where the voles are, and that's where the marten are. Especially early in the season when the tundra is freezing and overflow is forcing voles out at the edge of their habitat. Marten hunt those edges because that's where they are being successful.

Another thing is that the wind blows a bit more in that open country so a foothold on a pole stays free of snow to a greater extent than in heavier cover. Also, and this is a biggie IMO, the set is more visible from a greater distance than it is tucked in under a large tree. Look at a marten. His eyes and ears are bigger than his nose. If they see a leaning pole from a distance they will check it out. If there is movement such as the hanging wing I use for bait, that too attracts them.

Finally, that open country presents more risks to the marten than a heavy white spruce forest. Consequently, I believe a guy will catch more males in that environment. Maybe it would be better to say a guy will catch fewer females. I find a higher percentage of females in the white spruce because (It think) it's safer and their range is smaller anyway so they have better cover throughout the area they are using. So I avoid setting in those areas to a large extent. And, I try to be done with marten by February to avoid that time of greater activity by the females.

And as WB said, you can oftentimes release those females from a foothold.

As for snow build-up on poles....The type of set I use allows most of the snow to fall through the trap as there is no pole under the pan and jaws. I also try to stick with poles that are just a bit bigger than my thumb at the small end. There again as Dave says, that can be hard to do in some areas where poles are in limited supply. But a number 0 on the end of a pole may have a bit of snow on the pan but virtually none on the jaws.

Mean As Nails
Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4125037
11/20/13 09:45 AM
11/20/13 09:45 AM
Alberta
B
Bushman Offline OP
trapper
Bushman  Offline OP
trapper
B

Alberta
Love the pics and discussion.

Pole size is important. In high snow areas you can put a box on a leaning running pole and have it remain working in almost any snow conditions but the pole has to be skinny. No need to put under canopy cover. The pole needs to be around 2" diameter as snow cannot build up on it. The cubby box will get snow piled on the roof but it sluffs off also if the pole is on incline or elevated.

An exposed box attracts marten all on its on, so I don't like to hide them. W17 hit the nail on the head when he said it's perhaps the big box that acts as an attractant. I know an aboriginal trapper who uses no bait or lure just sets up his boxes. He claims marten investigate every nook and cranny anyways so why waste the effort. he catches marten.

As for consistent marten avoidance of sets I find it hard to believe in some areas they are Einsteins, where in others they enter every set. Yukon 254 I believe is right. A marten would rather eat a live vole then your tainted old hunk of bait. Catch a marten under these conditions and you'll see belly fat. On my last run I picked up 2 marten out of 70 sets, hardly a good ratio but fresh sign was every where and I predict my next run will be different. when that first big snow comes the marten are running around like crazy, but with full bellies.

In tough conditions, later in winter, you start catching more mature females so there is some avoidance by them early on as well. But a hungry marten isn't going to pass up on a free meal.

Yukon 254 cubbies are 7" x 7" opening, 10" deep, and 4" x 6" at the back. I drilled a 1" hole through the back to wire bait or pull my onion bag baits through.

ok. it's -33 and 7 am, trapping time. Let's see what today brings.

Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: white17] #4125073
11/20/13 10:26 AM
11/20/13 10:26 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: white17

But to address Family Trapper's question above....for me it goes like this.

I trap in black spruce because that's where the voles are, and that's where the marten are. Especially early in the season when the tundra is freezing and overflow is forcing voles out at the edge of their habitat. Marten hunt those edges because that's where they are being successful.

Another thing is that the wind blows a bit more in that open country so a foothold on a pole stays free of snow to a greater extent than in heavier cover. Also, and this is a biggie IMO, the set is more visible from a greater distance than it is tucked in under a large tree. Look at a marten. His eyes and ears are bigger than his nose. If they see a leaning pole from a distance they will check it out. If there is movement such as the hanging wing I use for bait, that too attracts them.

Finally, that open country presents more risks to the marten than a heavy white spruce forest. Consequently, I believe a guy will catch more males in that environment. Maybe it would be better to say a guy will catch fewer females. I find a higher percentage of females in the white spruce because (It think) it's safer and their range is smaller anyway so they have better cover throughout the area they are using. So I avoid setting in those areas to a large extent. And, I try to be done with marten by February to avoid that time of greater activity by the females.

And as WB said, you can oftentimes release those females from a foothold.

As for snow build-up on poles....The type of set I use allows most of the snow to fall through the trap as there is no pole under the pan and jaws. I also try to stick with poles that are just a bit bigger than my thumb at the small end. There again as Dave says, that can be hard to do in some areas where poles are in limited supply. But a number 0 on the end of a pole may have a bit of snow on the pan but virtually none on the jaws.

I noticed they had eyes a few years back. I bet they can see stuff from upwind of a set.

Last edited by Dirt; 11/20/13 10:51 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: trapped4ever] #4125098
11/20/13 10:53 AM
11/20/13 10:53 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: trapped4ever

You missed one!

Who is John Galt?
Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: yukon254] #4125131
11/20/13 11:11 AM
11/20/13 11:11 AM
Alberta
R
RichM AB Offline
trapper
RichM AB  Offline
trapper
R

Alberta
Originally Posted By: yukon254
Here is another style that has it's merits. An old trapper down in Bushmans neck of the woods makes these boxes. They have a seperate compartment for bait that nothing can get too. The pluses are you only have to bait them once a season ( other than scent) and the marten stays in the box. This almost guarantees zero pitch or mice problems....downside of course is the box itself......large, and expensive to make. I got a bunch for free and I do like them........no misses with them so far......

I'm new back to the game. When I was a young buck all we used were leg holds. Now it is body grips for most everything. I'm OK with that. I like the animals to be dead when I get there. I've kill critters all over the world with a rifle but I shudder to think of an animal waiting for me to show up. THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION! There are those who will think me soft for this and you know I'm OK with that. I sleep real good every night.

I use homemade long boxes for my Beslisle traps. Yes they are big and awkward to haul. I get to leave mine out however.

I use 160 for fisher and 120 for marten.

This set had a neat story. There were two that hit the set and the second pulled the first out of the box and tried to get at the bait.

Our first pick up. We caught a couple more, they are in the skinning shack thawing so I could take the traps off - yes that is a pain.
We caught more marten in the 160 fisher sets than the 120 marten sets. How ever the sample size is statistically insignificant.
I am very happy to have my own line and a wife who wants to share all the great times out there with me!

Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Boco] #4125153
11/20/13 11:27 AM
11/20/13 11:27 AM
Eielson Farm Road. Alaska
FullFreezer Offline
trapper
FullFreezer  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Boco
Any foothold set in a tree here is a totally illegal set.Some of those pics demonstrate why.
WB do you check your traps every day?

It only demonstrates that we do things differently.

* Anyone have any pictures of snare set ups for marten? Has anyone done a multiple snare pole? Kind of like for squirrels?

Last edited by Alaskan trapper; 11/20/13 11:32 AM.
Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4125189
11/20/13 11:54 AM
11/20/13 11:54 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK

I quit doing this as I ended up with snare marks in the fur

Mean As Nails
Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4125202
11/20/13 12:04 PM
11/20/13 12:04 PM
FullFreezer Offline
trapper
FullFreezer  Offline
trapper

sweet.

Could cable size be a factor?

Last edited by Alaskan trapper; 11/20/13 12:06 PM.
Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4125207
11/20/13 12:07 PM
11/20/13 12:07 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Yeah it could. The other big drawback IMO is that they are easily put out of commission by a relatively small amount of snow.

Mean As Nails
Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4125276
11/20/13 12:56 PM
11/20/13 12:56 PM
alaska
3 Fingers Offline
trapper
3 Fingers  Offline
trapper

alaska
For me it's about 50/50 foothold/BG. I have seen damage from BG's, mostly frostburn. If it drops to -50 or so for several days and I can't get out there it can happen. They don't move much then though. Also with a BG less marten crap to deal with. Love the footholds for speed,ease,weight and effectiveness. I use #1 ls and wish they were 0's.

Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4125295
11/20/13 01:10 PM
11/20/13 01:10 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon

Sometimes pole size matters............

Smetimes not.
And who says footholds aren't humane?...

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4125461
11/20/13 03:44 PM
11/20/13 03:44 PM
Circle, Alaska
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper
Birchcreekkid  Offline
trapper

Circle, Alaska
I saw this in a thread for weasels but it would ce
rtainly work for marten off the ground..........Now If I can just find some plastic jugs I'll try it out...........

I once held the yardstick of another's perfection, I threw it down and carved my own........

Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4125512
11/20/13 04:20 PM
11/20/13 04:20 PM
Interior Alaska
30/06 Offline
trapper
30/06  Offline
trapper

Interior Alaska
My $0.02: My experience and expertise is less than many other posters on this thread. However, after 12 years on our little valley line, I've formed some considered opinions. We switched from leg holds to Belilse 120s in flower pot 2 years ago. The main reason was that my daughter didn't like to find live, fight in' mad Marten in a set. Since I am thrilled to have her along, I gladly wrote the check for the Belilses. An unexpected benefit has been that I now have no sets clogged with birds, and few Marten refusals, so I think we're ahead in total numbers of caught Marten. It's a real bummer to find a Camp Robber in a trap that has been chewed on by the Marten you didn't catch. My 2 main gripes about our current system are that my kids can't set the 120s by themselves yet, and the pots crack easily in the cold.

Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4125544
11/20/13 04:39 PM
11/20/13 04:39 PM
Circle, Alaska
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper
Birchcreekkid  Offline
trapper

Circle, Alaska
there are ways to place your bait that will keep gray jays out of your traps. One guy here uses pop cans with the bottom cut off and puts the bait inside then squeezes the bottom shut then hangs it on the end of the pole. The can also acts as an attractor, last year he ran out of bait and just hung the cans and guess what?? caught just as many marten in the sets with just the can as he did with the bait in it lol oh yeah and no birds...............

I once held the yardstick of another's perfection, I threw it down and carved my own........

Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Birchcreekkid] #4125646
11/20/13 06:02 PM
11/20/13 06:02 PM
user conflictville, Alaska 99X...
martenpine Offline
trapper
martenpine  Offline
trapper

user conflictville, Alaska 99X...
Originally Posted By: Birchcreekkid
there are ways to place your bait that will keep gray jays out of your traps. One guy here uses pop cans with the bottom cut off and puts the bait inside then squeezes the bottom shut then hangs it on the end of the pole. The can also acts as an attractor, last year he ran out of bait and just hung the cans and guess what?? caught just as many marten in the sets with just the can as he did with the bait in it lol oh yeah and no birds...............

I've always used cans to hold bait. Through all the years I've trapped marten I doubt I've caught more than a half dozen birds in my marten sets.

When there is shot in the air, there is hope.
When in doubt, throttle out!
ATA, NTA, NATCA, ITA
Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4125703
11/20/13 06:30 PM
11/20/13 06:30 PM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
Quote:
The other big drawback IMO is that they are easily put out of commission by a relatively small amount of snow.

Interestingly enough that is what I always thought. But was always perplexed by this photo. Notice snare on top of the pole. The conifer really held the snow in this situation. Old set. Don't do it like this anymore. The snare and conibear must be spread out a far greater distance. There can be no chance of overlap. That does not mean trap to trap. That means back leg or tail of marten to the next set. It is not very close. ;0)

I have used 1/16 cable heavily loaded and have not seen damage on the limited catch I have had.
The key is the larger cable vs small IMO. But that is limited.

Okay here is a teaser. The first snare conibear setup I ever set. You tell me what happened here. The conibear was set first in line. A jump stick placed over the set as usual. This set is about 8 years ago. But it was not until last season that I really figured out the extent of what was happening in this set.
Discussion here. You want to see how Marten react towards conibears in a resistant phase. Start putting a snare after your conibear and watch the results.

Early on I was setting too large a loop and had some hip caught marten.

Snares have a place on the line. A neck caught marten the snare can be used at times. They leap and die.

Don't get me wrong on the setting under cover. I don't avoid black spruce at all. But given the chance I will take cover when I can in White spruce rather than leave it out in the open. I have never had problems getting marten to my sets. I have never seen where setting in cover has seemed to put me at a disadvantage at all. I can believe the eye appeal for sure. But given the fact that I have never witnessed much at all of a pass by syndrome due to them not finding the set. I will work under cover in white spruce when given the chance. However having a work schedule it always meant that my marten traps were not checked as often as many that do it full time. I liked an advantage over snow depth. Again everyone needs to do what works for them.

Wade
Will get to the tip up tutorial later. Seems I had a pretty good one somewhere. But not sure where right now.

Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4126586
11/21/13 12:02 AM
11/21/13 12:02 AM
fairbanks alaska
T
trapper378 Offline
trapper
trapper378  Offline
trapper
T

fairbanks alaska

Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4126588
11/21/13 12:03 AM
11/21/13 12:03 AM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
That can work for most furbearers. Had a serious robber last year. Real Houdini. Took two traps, but got him.... Well crap. Can't find the picture, but what happened was I had a weasel that was a real expert at robbing what was otherwise a great set. It was a newspaper tube with a 120 in it. Well, I finally put a rat trap in the tube, behind the coni. He got hit with the rat trap, a bit far back, drug himself and the trap back through the 12o, and got nailed with a perfect neck shot.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4126626
11/21/13 12:20 AM
11/21/13 12:20 AM
Circle, Alaska
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper
Birchcreekkid  Offline
trapper

Circle, Alaska
Trapper378, that picture is to small to make out your marten set.......maybe you could explain it?

Re: Marten set tutorial [Re: Bushman] #4126642
11/21/13 12:27 AM
11/21/13 12:27 AM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
Found it