Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 27 of 98 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 97 98
Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4775926
12/03/14 02:35 PM
12/03/14 02:35 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Oldtimers on the railroad used Galoshes.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4776553
12/03/14 08:42 PM
12/03/14 08:42 PM
NE ON
L
LeverAlone Offline
trapper
LeverAlone  Offline
trapper
L

NE ON
Nice pictures Bushman. I look forward to watching the show on CBC.

How do you size those boots? Would I measure the outside length of my shoe I guess? With size 13 feet, If I put these on, I may never need another pair of snowshoes lol.

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: LeverAlone] #4776581
12/03/14 08:57 PM
12/03/14 08:57 PM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
Originally Posted By: LeverAlone
Nice pictures Bushman. I look forward to watching the show on CBC.

How do you size those boots? Would I measure the outside length of my shoe I guess? With size 13 feet, If I put these on, I may never need another pair of snowshoes lol.

Found this.

Apparently your not the only one in love with them Brian. Impressive bunch of testimonies.
http://www.neosovershoescanada.com/testimonials

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4778192
12/04/14 05:31 PM
12/04/14 05:31 PM
Chicken, Alaska
Chickenminer Offline
trapper
Chickenminer  Offline
trapper

Chicken, Alaska
Good luck with the wolves!
Look forward to seeing the result photos !

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4783366
12/07/14 02:04 PM
12/07/14 02:04 PM
Alberta
B
Bushman Offline OP
trapper
Bushman  Offline OP
trapper
B

Alberta
I had a good first trip to the mountains. A pile of snow which really smooths out the trails. It looks to me like there is more fur this year than in years past. I believe that the "big snow" years that we've had the last two winters have helped furbearers.

I had a pack of wolves waiting for me and they had passed about 1/2 mile from the cabin. I put quite a few footholds out, including the 6 - #9' s I picked up from AK. I also hung a bunch of snares. For me it's the first time using light wire and killer springs. I'm finding the hang of the light wire quite different and harder to get a circular snare shape.

But the smaller cable does blend in better and is easier to conceal.

Nikki freshened up the wolves scent post

While I snared several trails being used by the pack.

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4783372
12/07/14 02:08 PM
12/07/14 02:08 PM
Alberta
B
Bushman Offline OP
trapper
Bushman  Offline OP
trapper
B

Alberta
There is also a lot of rabbit and lynx sign so some lynx snares were in order

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4783387
12/07/14 02:19 PM
12/07/14 02:19 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Glad to see you have snow Brian. I just got in from a month on the line....we have maybe 6-inches total. Even the high country has very little. Good marten numbers tho.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4783582
12/07/14 04:35 PM
12/07/14 04:35 PM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
Looks like your having some fun now. What size cable are you using? Are you putting any loading on the Wolf snares. Seems it might help the initial curve on top to widen out the circle. They do blend in well.

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4783601
12/07/14 04:51 PM
12/07/14 04:51 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If you are using 5\64 1x19,pump the bottom of the loop between your thumb and two fingers to give a more rounded loop.If you wax your snares it stiffens them enough you don't need to do this unless you have big loop.

Last edited by Boco; 12/07/14 04:52 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Boco] #4783654
12/07/14 05:28 PM
12/07/14 05:28 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted By: Boco
If you are using 5\64 1x19,pump the bottom of the loop between your thumb and two fingers to give a more rounded loop.If you wax your snares it stiffens them enough you don't need to do this unless you have big loop.

Not sure if Brian does this or not, but he has put more wolves on the stretchers over the years than any 5 of us so my advice would be to keep doing whatever he has been.

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4783837
12/07/14 07:15 PM
12/07/14 07:15 PM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
Originally Posted By: Yukon254
Not sure if Brian does this or not, but he has put more wolves on the stretchers over the years than any 5 of us so my advice would be to keep doing whatever he has been.
________

Originally Posted By: Bushman
For me it's the first time using light wire and killer springs. I'm finding the hang of the light wire quite different and harder to get a circular snare shape.

Soooo I guess that is why this post interests me so much. Brian, a successful wolfer is changing snare strategies. He is not doing what he has been doing over the years. That really peaks my interest. I follow everyones methods. But I stand up and take notice when a successful trapper changes up things. And Start asking questions.
I am interested as always to find out what make a good trapper tick and why he does and doesn't do something I might choose to do. No better way to hone our skills than to quiz and participate in discussion with experts on here. If you don't ask questions there is a lot of learning left out IMO. ;0)
I am interested to hear of why Brian has changed cable size. Gone to Killer springs and what type. I can learn something more from asking questions and offering suggestions on here and it is the fun part of trapperman for me.

Discussion back and forth here is how to improve on a system that might have some initial drawbacks as Brian as stated here. Advice can be taken or not. But the increase in depth that posts like this help new and old trappers will only be increased through discussion. And knowing Brian he will not let us down in his replies that I always look forward to.

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: yukon254] #4783887
12/07/14 07:33 PM
12/07/14 07:33 PM
Kelowna BC Canada
trapper ron Offline
trapper
trapper ron  Offline
trapper

Kelowna BC Canada
I'm going to add this for those having trouble making a round loop. I have used this method but prefer the method used by Boco, mostly because it is what I learned about 40 years ago.

One of our Instructors who harvests wolves consistently every year has a technique he has demonstrated at our Instructors meetings and at several of our convention. If you are looking at the snare he likes the lock to be at about 10 o'clock so it will drop very fast. He uses a "W" at the end of his support wire. What he does is take a very fine wire, a really light strand of copper wire will do, and he wraps it around the support wire, then winds it around the snare cable loop about 8" back from the lock. Just enough wraps so it holds but will pull out with very slight pressure. This will make even 7 x 7 wire make a nice round loop. If you look real close you can see that light wire holding the loop.

Member BCTA
Trapping Instructor

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4784064
12/07/14 08:41 PM
12/07/14 08:41 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted By: Bushman

I had a pack of wolves waiting for me and they had passed about 1/2 mile from the cabin. I put quite a few footholds out, including the 6 - #9' s I picked up from AK. I also hung a bunch of snares. For me it's the first time using light wire and killer springs. I'm finding the hang of the light wire quite different and harder to get a circular snare shape.

But the smaller cable does blend in better and is easier to conceal.
What type cable are you using, 7X7 or 1X19? 7X7 is definitely more difficult to obtain large round loops then 1X19 cable in my experience. If you are using 1X19 in either 5/64th or 1X16th size it should load very well to form large round loops but you need to apply much greater pressure when loading it compared to loading 7X7 cable. The following pictures are of 5/64th 1X19 cable with a 16-18 inch loop size:

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4784085
12/07/14 08:49 PM
12/07/14 08:49 PM
Southeast, AK
R
rosscoak Offline
trapper
rosscoak  Offline
trapper
R

Southeast, AK
Bctomcat,
If the snare isn't properly loaded..ie memory put in the last 12-18" ....the snare will have a teardrop???? Is this correct?
Those look great by the way.

Last edited by rosscoak; 12/07/14 08:50 PM.
Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: rosscoak] #4784152
12/07/14 09:10 PM
12/07/14 09:10 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted By: rosscoak
Bctomcat,
If the snare isn't properly loaded..ie memory put in the last 12-18" ....the snare will have a teardrop???? Is this correct?
Those look great by the way.
I don't quite understand what you mean by the "last 12-18 inches". Those snares in the pictures are loaded over the last 7-8" of the cable from the lock to the left. My method of loading a snare is to grab the lock with your left hand and about 7 inches of cable with your right hand. Run this portion of cable, in its natural wire curve, several times over a small round rod or screwdriver that has been clamped in a vise, until you get the desired results. Hope that explains it.

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4784271
12/07/14 10:02 PM
12/07/14 10:02 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Nice looking snares Bctomcat. Why do some dislike a teardrop loop?

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: yukon254] #4784365
12/07/14 10:42 PM
12/07/14 10:42 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted By: yukon254
Nice looking snares Bctomcat. Why do some dislike a teardrop loop?
In my experience a loaded snare closes much quicker than an unloaded snare, which generally gives you the tear drop shape. I am looking for a quick closure to keep the snare high on the neck at the base of the skull in the prefer quick dispatch location where the carotid arteries are just under the skin. Also the lock with a loaded snare can be placed in a 10 or 11 o'clock position and when the bottom of the loop is touched will jump closed much quicker than an unloaded tear drop snare in 12 position which can be touchy in windy conditions.

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4784468
12/07/14 11:35 PM
12/07/14 11:35 PM
Alberta
B
Bushman Offline OP
trapper
Bushman  Offline OP
trapper
B

Alberta
I appreciate the comments. It's 1/16" cable, super light. I load snares exactly like you describe BCtomcat but I'll give your method a try Boco. I didn't build, or load, these snares, they have more parts than a small car. On my usual snares I have no problems getting a nice round shape. But wolves are tall and thin so bit of a teardrop shape should be Ok as long as loop is high.

Fair question Len. I haven't totally committed to this new style of snare. But one of the advantages of living in Alberta is we have one of the few trap testing facilities in the world so we get exposed to new product. Plus we have a bunch of innovative trapper / inventors like Marty Senneker who came up with this killer spring design.

I've got buddies using this design and they really like the light profile and have a lot less snare avoidance. I don't know about you guys but I notice that wolves get more and more wary season after season, especially if using same bait pile sites year after year. You still will nail wolves of course but lots of solo's it seems.

I'm into changing things up and keeping them guessing. I have beaver / fish combo inside 5 gallon pails that have been percolating for years. You can walk off the creek or trail and hang them in a good location. Back off at least 20 yards and shoot some 22 holes into the pail. It'll pull wolves in.

I also pay attention to every wolf trail I see on my traplines. And I will prospect for good snare locations in the off season and block off trails for future snares. This fall I went for a hunt along a ridgeline and noticed a saddle that would be a natural funnel. I went back this week and the wolves are using it as evidenced by snow trails.

But it's the footholds that really fascinate me. Our 48 hour trap check law makes it difficult to really make it economical to foothold... but I sure like it. But, for example, I have a dozen footholds flipped over right now because I knew I couldn't get back in 48 hours. But my snares are still working for me at least.

Ron - I recognize that McBride trapper. He's another one of those innovative trappers. He showed me a bunch of his cardboard marten boxes. His line is actually pretty close to mine as the crow flies. I've used wax thread to get that loop instead of the thin wire, but too much hasssle for a snare.

These killer springs are a test. I know that I can swage a toothed camlock snare onto #9 wire and still kill wolves all day long. And some of those will be getting set this week as well.

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4784502
12/07/14 11:57 PM
12/07/14 11:57 PM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
I had put this up in a post a few years ago but I will add it here as it pertains to the discussion and it should add to the conversation.
Brian if you want the post moved to a new thread just say the word.
My take on loading came from models of prebuilt snares I got from Rally Hess. A master snareman and someone that believes heavily in loading. The terminology and such that I put on here is my own concoction to make it more clear. The cable I am using is 1/16th 7 by 7 and prone to be a teardrop. I post this here to show that loading can have huge affect on shape.
Yukon you ask why people dislike a teardrop. A lot more taken with tear drop than without that is for sure. But that comes from far more snares being made without than with IMO. As well as trapper not knowing how to load them. I use the same method as Bctomcat.
When I look at a teardrop I see a snare shape exactly opposite of the shape I would want for the target. A large mass going in on top. (the head of a wolf or lynx) and a large opening on the bottom. (the feet). Creating a snare that I believe would be more prone to a leg being alllowed to enter the snare with the head. It just feels better to me to have the rounder shape. And one more conducive to the head up high in the snare. And I think you can get by with a smaller opening as so much of the loop is not having in a non target area. Creating even more weight on the snare distorting the shape.
I like the idea of having the large opening up high where the head is entering. Also it covers a wider area of the trail where the target is coming through. (the head).
That can't hurt. But more importantly is the speed. You have to drag closed a teardrop shaped snare all the way to the end. Compared to a loaded snare that naturally wants to close. Causing less pull on the animal and less likely for detection and backout.

Example of a 7 by 7 1/16 inch cable snare

Take that same snare and build in some lift on the cable behind the lock and you begin to get a shape that opens up the snare for better head entry.

Take that same snare and load and shape it and you will end up with this.
Granted this is not a wolf snare but I bet you can go a long way to opening up the shape and make it a lot faster with loading it. The picture like the ones above were taken with the snare held vertical not laying down. This is the hanging shape.
I achieve this by loading and shaping. The loading and shaping zone are described on the box.

Heavily loading the first inches past the lock dictates the direction of the cable as it circles around. I like to shoot for a horizontal direction rather than the slanted one you get with a teardrop. I continue to load further but with a lot less pressure. I also like to shape the cable in the shaping zone as well to round out the opposite side. Done the same way as loading but with a lot less pressure.
And wow fast in comparison to a teardrop is saying it lightly. You just can't compare how a teardrop snare closes compared to a loaded snare. A

Here inlies the issue you have to be very careful when loading snares. Many snare you build are not set up to take loading. Thus a good reason to make your own.
When you load heavily you need to account for the curling of the cable within the lock. Compare the two photos below.
This snare can not be loaded.

This snare can be.

Resulting in this.

When I look at this snare I see a small opening that could possibly brush up agains the side of a wolf's head and cause him to defer to the right or left or even back out. haha. Watch you will probably get a perfect catch in it. ;0)

Hopel this helps some guys new and old to snaring. Brian I hope it adds to your journal.
We can move the discussion on loading to a new thread if people are interested in carrying it on further.

Re: Mountain Journal 2014 [Re: Bushman] #4784550
12/08/14 12:39 AM
12/08/14 12:39 AM
Alberta
B
Bushman Offline OP
trapper
Bushman  Offline OP
trapper
B

Alberta
very nice Len and a good tutorial. Thanks

I actually don't worry much about forcing head direction for wolves. They're so big they'll just brush aside most twigs, branches if they want. These are natural branches that were on existing trails that i actually don't want to remove. But I'll add trap anchor logs / scent posts / or trail obstructions if I have a few months for the wolves to get used to it. I'm more into putting the snare where the head will be naturally as the wolf moves down the trail. Having malamutes for decades puts you into sync how big dogs move maybe.

That snare photo you clipped and posted is why I was complaining about the loop Len. Try and get 1/16 cable to hang round, loaded or not. I'm thinking Ron's method of using light wire might be best if I stick with these snares.

Page 27 of 98 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 97 98
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman