Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? #6240943
05/15/18 07:15 PM
05/15/18 07:15 PM
Aroostook county, Maine
B
beaver trapper Offline OP
trapper
beaver trapper  Offline OP
trapper
B

Aroostook county, Maine
Hello guys. I’ve heard of a few instances where non-residents were able to obtain trapping licenses in Canadian provinces. Is this still possible in New Brunswick and Quebec, or are those days over?

Thanks

Wilderness, in a word, is freedom
Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6241022
05/15/18 08:49 PM
05/15/18 08:49 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
Not Ontario

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6241117
05/15/18 10:29 PM
05/15/18 10:29 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
I can get you a 14-day assistant trapping license, but you have to book a trip with us to be eligible. Not sure about other provinces but Im guessing its not allowed.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6241371
05/16/18 10:08 AM
05/16/18 10:08 AM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
If trapping by U.S. residents is not allowed, maybe U.S. residents should consider hunting with an Alaskan guide instead?

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: yukon254] #6241400
05/16/18 10:46 AM
05/16/18 10:46 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
If trapping by U.S. residents is not allowed, maybe U.S. residents should consider hunting with an Alaskan guide instead?

Not sure I understand your line of thinking. Every country has regulations when it comes to non-residents.....and in this case we are talking about non-resident aliens. Even in AK non-resident US citizens are required to hire a guide to hunt certain species. I wouldnt expect to be treated like a resident if I went to another country to hunt or trap so not sure why you seem to take offence at Canadas hunting trapping regulations.

Even in your state you have residency rules, got this information right from Wyomings website > Hunting and fishing in Wyoming is a privilege granted by state law. The Wyoming Legislature has established the residency requirements and fees for hunting and fishing licenses. Wyoming, like all other states, has different fees for residents and nonresidents. Wyoming statutes and Game and Fish Commission regulations have been enacted to ensure that only bona fide Wyoming residents are issued resident hunting, fishing, trapping licenses, and preference points.

Last edited by yukon254; 05/16/18 10:47 AM.

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6241419
05/16/18 11:16 AM
05/16/18 11:16 AM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tweed Offline
trapper
Tweed  Offline
trapper

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I don't take wy.wolfers comment as taking offense. He's offering advice. If its too much hassle or impossible to trap in Canada why not just go to Alaska where its allowed?

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: Tweed] #6241433
05/16/18 11:52 AM
05/16/18 11:52 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted By: Tweed
I don't take wy.wolfers comment as taking offense. He's offering advice. If its too much hassle or impossible to trap in Canada why not just go to Alaska where its allowed?

Possible for sure, it was just confusing because he said if US residents cant trap here, maybe they shouldn't hunt here, but instead hire an Alaskan guide instead. I dont understand the connection he is referring to between hunting and trapping? Both are allowed here with a guide just like everywhere else.

I think its quite evident from all of the advice experienced Alaskan trappers give newbies on this site, that even though it might be legal for a non resident to trap in AK, it's not going to be easy to find a spot, and probably not very productive, and it certainly wont be cheap. If that was the point. All of those things apply here too of course, hence the demand for guides.

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6241455
05/16/18 12:22 PM
05/16/18 12:22 PM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
In Alaska, unlike many of the other states. Alaskan's have a "right" to hunt, trap, and fish. It's not a privilege. in some opportunities an Alaskan does not even need a license or report their take. Alaska also allows non-residents and non-resident aliens the same opportunities to trap as afforded to residents and a guide is not required.

Last edited by isnarewolves; 05/16/18 12:28 PM.

Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid!
Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: isnarewolves] #6241473
05/16/18 12:49 PM
05/16/18 12:49 PM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
I forgot to also mention that the fee for the non-resident and non-resident alien trapping licenses are the same.

Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid!
Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: isnarewolves] #6241498
05/16/18 01:34 PM
05/16/18 01:34 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted By: isnarewolves
In Alaska, unlike many of the other states. Alaskan's have a "right" to hunt, trap, and fish. It's not a privilege. in some opportunities an Alaskan does not even need a license or report their take. Alaska also allows non-residents and non-resident aliens the same opportunities to trap as afforded to residents and a guide is not required.

Thats pretty cool. In my opinion it should be a right and not a privilege. I think Gov Jay Hammond put that in place if Im not mistaken? I do believe our system is better for trappers though. It certainly makes management easier for us.

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6241516
05/16/18 02:24 PM
05/16/18 02:24 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
In Canada the Aboriginal peoples have the right to harvest(hunt trap and fish)protected in the Constitution.
For the rest of us it is a privilege that we take very seriously and protect.

Last edited by Boco; 05/16/18 02:26 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: Boco] #6241548
05/16/18 03:25 PM
05/16/18 03:25 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted By: Boco
In Canada the Aboriginal peoples have the right to harvest(hunt trap and fish)protected in the Constitution.
For the rest of us it is a privilege that we take very seriously and protect.

Yes thats true about First Nations. I thought Saskatchewan passed a law making hunting trapping a right but I could be wrong ??

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6241550
05/16/18 03:28 PM
05/16/18 03:28 PM
Bethel, Alaska
fishermann222 Offline
"OX"
fishermann222  Offline
"OX"

Bethel, Alaska
Yukon if it was a "right" and not a privilege would you still be able to have registered traplines? It seems that system could impede citizens from exercising their "rights".

I survived the Tman crash of '06
Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6241679
05/16/18 07:12 PM
05/16/18 07:12 PM
Mich
B
bbrennan Offline
trapper
bbrennan  Offline
trapper
B

Mich
If someone is looking for an Alaskan trapping trip I have a friend that recommends Claude bondy said it couldn’t have been better!

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: fishermann222] #6241829
05/16/18 11:14 PM
05/16/18 11:14 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted By: fishermann222
Yukon if it was a "right" and not a privilege would you still be able to have registered traplines? It seems that system could impede citizens from exercising their "rights".

Good question that I dont know the answer too. I would think registered lines would still work if trapping was a right, but lawyers might not agree. Even in places where hunting/ trapping is a right, there are areas where those activities are by permission only. Our system certainly isn't perfect, but it is the best IMO. I can manage my populations without worrying about other trappers. This is good for all trappers but is really helpful to me running a trapping business. The last thing a client would want is to pay to go somewhere everyone else can go and trap anytime they wanted.

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: yukon254] #6241880
05/17/18 04:20 AM
05/17/18 04:20 AM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tweed Offline
trapper
Tweed  Offline
trapper

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: yukon254
Originally Posted By: fishermann222

Good question that I dont know the answer too. I would think registered lines would still work if trapping was a right, but lawyers might not agree. Even in places where hunting/ trapping is a right, there are areas where those activities are by permission only. Our system certainly isn't perfect, but it is the best IMO. I can manage my populations without worrying about other trappers. This is good for all trappers but is really helpful to me running a trapping business. The last thing a client would want is to pay to go somewhere everyone else can go and trap anytime they wanted.

What type of clients do you get in your kneck of the woods? Can't imagine there's much ADC up there but I'm sure I can be wrong.

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6242154
05/17/18 02:05 PM
05/17/18 02:05 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Our clients come north to trap. They actually get a license so can set and check traps themselves, which is not legal in other provinces from what I understand. There are other outfitters who offer the same type of trips that we do in BC & Alberta, but I think it's more of a ride-along deal as non-residents cant get a license there, so legally are not supposed to set traps.

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: beaver trapper] #6245646
05/22/18 07:18 PM
05/22/18 07:18 PM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
good imfo. thanks guys

Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: yukon254] #6246556
05/23/18 11:32 PM
05/23/18 11:32 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.

Not sure I understand your line of thinking. Every country has regulations when it comes to non-residents.....and in this case we are talking about non-resident aliens. Even in AK non-resident US citizens are required to hire a guide to hunt certain species. I wouldnt expect to be treated like a resident if I went to another country to hunt or trap so not sure why you seem to take offence at Canadas hunting trapping regulations.

Even in your state you have residency rules, got this information right from Wyomings website > Hunting and fishing in Wyoming is a privilege granted by state law. The Wyoming Legislature has established the residency requirements and fees for hunting and fishing licenses. Wyoming, like all other states, has different fees for residents and nonresidents. Wyoming statutes and Game and Fish Commission regulations have been enacted to ensure that only bona fide Wyoming residents are issued resident hunting, fishing, trapping licenses, and preference points.
Yes, you can buy a non-resident hunting license in Wyoming, and go hunting on your own. Can I buy a non-resident trapping license any place in Canada and go trapping on my own? Let's compare apples to apples. Show me I'm wrong and I'll gladly eat crow, eh! Apologies, I was gone for a few days to a funeral so I couldn't respond any time sooner.

Last edited by wy.wolfer; 05/23/18 11:37 PM.
Re: US citizen obtaining a Canadian trapping license? [Re: wy.wolfer] #6246594
05/24/18 12:44 AM
05/24/18 12:44 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted By: wy.wolfer

Yes, you can buy a non-resident hunting license in Wyoming, and go hunting on your own. Can I buy a non-resident trapping license any place in Canada and go trapping on my own? Let's compare apples to apples. Show me I'm wrong and I'll gladly eat crow, eh! Apologies, I was gone for a few days to a funeral so I couldn't respond any time sooner.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong I just didnt understand your point. The OP was asking about trapping, and you said if a US resident cant trap here maybe they shouldn't hunt here but go to AK instead. Not sure why you mentioned hunting with a guide....

Unless you are a resident of Alaska you cant hunt brown bears, sheep, or goats there either, even though you are a citizen of the country.....by your logic maybe you shouldn't trap there because of those regulations?

Last edited by yukon254; 05/24/18 12:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman