No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: How do Canadians manage traplines? [Re: lumberjack391] #6354133
10/22/18 09:19 PM
10/22/18 09:19 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Quote:
Actually the seasons are set by the state but they are almost identical seasons each year. They never change anything. I know of no way they could get an idea of furbearer numbers.

Yep. South Dakota's 3.5 pages of trapping regs barely changes from year to year. Most critters have open seasons except water creatures and bobcats. Bcats probably have the most restrictive regs but the season is only open West River and a few counties on the east side along the river in the south-central to southeast. No real quotas on anything. Everything is fairly straight forward.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: How do Canadians manage traplines? [Re: lumberjack391] #6354160
10/22/18 09:41 PM
10/22/18 09:41 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Boco, I finally checked on Google Earth Pro for you. I tried actually yesterday but GE sort of flaked out and I couldn't get it restarted.

It appears for you Canadian bush people, and probably Alaska as well, you're probably out of luck using GE other than just get the lay of the land in a few years in the past. Boco's lat, long yielded 2 images in the "historical" slider, Aug 9 2014 and May 29, 2011 (if you believe GE's dates). My cousin's farm in se SD has at least 8 dates between the spring of 1998 and July 2015, although not all of those are really very clear so not good, sharp high-res stuff. I have 10 dates over the property that became my house ranging from 1991 through last year. The most recent one was when there was a neighborhood wide rummage sale going on, an interesting pix.

Google doesn't either fly any of its own satellites or aerials, at least not yet or what they'll admit to. They use imagery that they mostly can get for free, so that tends to be various government agencies or commercial entities that the federal gov supports in various ways. The Canadian gov uses the U.S. Landsat satellite system (2 birds flying right now, although one is old and semi-crippled) that have 30 meters resolution with the multi-spectral bands (think various visible and non-visible "colors") and 15 m pan (b&w). Might see really large beaver dams at that resolution but not individual lodges and such. The things that the Can forest service (forgut the formal name) cares about mostly are monitored at the landscape scale- logging, fires, insects and disease so your gov probably doesn't fly much for high res aerial over the bush OR if they do, they don't give the imagery away for free. Or Google, for whatever reason, doesn't want it or can't get it. Don't know.

So, yes, you Canuks were correct, GE is pretty limited and probably dated for the bush. For guys in the lower 48, most places have fairly good high-res imagery within the last 2-3 years but nowhere probably has "real time" meter or so resolution unless you're "special" for various reasons.

Anyway, we're just talking the "civilian" government here. The national security assets are a whole different world. Not my gig.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: How do Canadians manage traplines? [Re: lumberjack391] #6354188
10/22/18 10:02 PM
10/22/18 10:02 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Nothing to look at here but trees,lol.They probably went crosseyed the first time.
Thanks for checking it out pcfed.

Last edited by Boco; 10/22/18 10:02 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: How do Canadians manage traplines? [Re: pcr2] #6354210
10/22/18 10:26 PM
10/22/18 10:26 PM
southern ontario canada
C
coonwild Offline
trapper
coonwild  Offline
trapper
C

southern ontario canada
Originally Posted By: pcr2
i can check a 100 bridges mostly gangset in 8 hrs with the heater fan on low. grin.apples to oranges though.

That’s all lol , I can do that easy here too in the southern part of Ontario where I live , whole different animal in the north lol

Duncan Wildlife control your solution to wildlife problems

my video's: http://www.youtube.com/trappermatt1976

Re: How do Canadians manage traplines? [Re: Dirt] #6354213
10/22/18 10:29 PM
10/22/18 10:29 PM
southern ontario canada
C
coonwild Offline
trapper
coonwild  Offline
trapper
C

southern ontario canada
Originally Posted By: Dirt
Boco Ontario beaver in the James Bay area may be self destructive of their own habitat leading to low densities of beaver, but I'm not sure that is a problem everywhere. Sounds like in a lot of areas they stay at super high levels unless they are trapped. Here they seem to die of enough other causes they can be easily overtrapped. Probably why most of Alaska had a seasonal trapper limit back when beaver were valuable enough to trap and sell to a furbuyer.

You know this subject of RTL's comes up here. We basically have gentlemen's agreements that are similar in much of Alaska that work in the same manner without all the bureaucracy and "good ole boy" stuff. From a technical stand point it would be interesting to know how the original boundaries of RTL's were created?

Ontario is a shell of the beaver it produced in the 70-80’s this province produced 200,000 beavers a season at one point , good management and lots of water can do amazing stuff

Duncan Wildlife control your solution to wildlife problems

my video's: http://www.youtube.com/trappermatt1976

Re: How do Canadians manage traplines? [Re: saskbone] #6354768
10/23/18 05:30 PM
10/23/18 05:30 PM
British Columbia, Canada
English Doug Offline
trapper
English Doug  Offline
trapper

British Columbia, Canada
What kind of trap do you set for a cougar? We can only black trap bears with a rifle in BC, is it the same for cougars there? Cougars aren't even considered fur-bearers. There are general open seasons for them for hunting however.

Doug

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread