No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6406914
12/23/18 03:49 PM
12/23/18 03:49 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
I read the second part of the story and found it funny that the guy that turned him in claimed to have been hunting it SEVERAL years. BUT the all knowing DNR aged it at 4 years old ???? He was a jealous a hole that couldn't stand it because the Amish guy hadn't spent thousands of dollars in pursuit of a hay rake lol.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6406917
12/23/18 03:54 PM
12/23/18 03:54 PM
WI
H
handitrapper Offline
trapper
handitrapper  Offline
trapper
H

WI
Well he spent thousands now. Didn’t he?

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6406920
12/23/18 04:01 PM
12/23/18 04:01 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
The fine is not ridiculous if it keeps poachers from taking deer, the problem is the person thinking they will get away
with taking it, that's why poachers do it for so long until they get caught with a fine that is to high to make an incentive to not go after them any more. There is incentive here to turn them in, if caught you get a permit for the area poached, you watch others they watch you, some don't like it, however it slows the poaching down a lot !

If the fine is the same for every deer or animal that's poached, fish that is taken, bird that's shot etc, what is the incentive to stop if they just keep paying the fine, they already don't care if they have a license or not.

Here anything that you have used to commit that act can be seized, right there on the spot, no warrant or permission by court needed, plus the fine, plus jail time depending on your record. You don't get anything back that was used in the act, it gets sold in an auction latter on. This can add up to some serious cash depending on what you use to drive or haul out with, plus any equipment,

However it's still not enough to stop people from doing it, kinda like smoking or drinking , ya know it's doing ya in but ya just need that next one, these people think it's no big deal with all the animals out there, whats one going to be missed, criminals don't follow the laws, until something is taken away from them that's so important that they squeak that they are being picked on, LOL

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: jbyrd63] #6406944
12/23/18 04:31 PM
12/23/18 04:31 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Originally Posted by Finster
I don't see the fine as ridiculous at all. I'll bet he doesn't do it again. In my mind, the point is not the deer per say. The point is it was done intentionally, dare I say with moral turpitude, greed and envy. This is also exacerbated by the fact that he tried to disguise it and cover his tracks. Obviously, before he ever pulled the trigger, he knew what he was doing was wrong, illegal and un-sportsman like but he did it anyway. I don't think it's to much of a fine at all for someone that so blatantly disregards the law. It's not about the deer.

LOL you are missing mine and several others point. Guess the drug dealer didn't sell his drugs intentionely ? LOL The guy that poached the doe that was fined 500 bucks didn't have a clue he was wrong.The armed robber that gets off with 10,000 dollar fine because his dad is rich thought it was his money to take ??? NOONE is saying that he didn't know it was wrong, just that the fine is ridiculous.....

As usual, you miss it entirely. Then again, it is to be expected.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: jbyrd63] #6406972
12/23/18 05:02 PM
12/23/18 05:02 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content
trapper
KeithC  Online Content
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I read the second part of the story and found it funny that the guy that turned him in claimed to have been hunting it SEVERAL years. BUT the all knowing DNR aged it at 4 years old ???? He was a jealous a hole that couldn't stand it because the Amish guy hadn't spent thousands of dollars in pursuit of a hay rake lol.

If he was not lieing, it is more proof the deer is an improved genetics buck from the auction.

Keith

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6406991
12/23/18 05:12 PM
12/23/18 05:12 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
JUST looking at the day time pic IN MY OPINION the deer is older than 4 1/2 . If the whistle blower started hunting it at 2 1/2 he was only hunting it for 2 years COUNTING this year. Don't think 2 are several . But who am I. They had to make it sound like the squealer had invested his whole life in pursuit of this majestic animal that was so wronged. Plus since the amish guy hadn't tried to sell the mount or rack how did that make him greedy? Most deer hunters kill more than they HAVE TO have or need to survive... Does that mean everyone that kills a deer and doesn't use every inch of it is greedy???

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6406998
12/23/18 05:24 PM
12/23/18 05:24 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Geez he's greedy because he poached the animal, not in conventional terms, most poachers do this out of greed, they want THAT animal, they want to possess it, as they know you can't sell the antlers very easily, so they keep them out in back covered up and show other poachers their achievement !

Now your after the whistle blower, LOL pretty soon Hillary and her ilk will be involved !!

It's clear your not an abstract thinker !

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6407003
12/23/18 05:27 PM
12/23/18 05:27 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content
trapper
KeithC  Online Content
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Some of the domestic whitetail deer have racks when wild whitetails would only have buttons, very good racks at 2 and incredible racks at 3. It's due to their genetics and feed their given.

Keith

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6407014
12/23/18 05:34 PM
12/23/18 05:34 PM
Southeast Ohio
amspoker Offline
trapper
amspoker  Offline
trapper

Southeast Ohio

I read the same article jbyrd referred to. The "jealous squealer" had $700 worth of trail cams stolen, and I don't blame him for pursuing the matter. He could of poached the deer himself. Guess he felt the fine was a good deterrent not to.

The other article

"Realizing that the buck could not have been shot in Holmes County the Game Warden paid Junior Troyer a visit. Junior totally denied any wrong doing but the Game Warden wasn’t buying it.

After pressing Junior, he finally admitted to shooting a 130” eight pointer the morning of November 7 th. He then went out to hunt that evening and had Hay Rake walk by him. Junior let greed set in and shot the buck. He decapitated both bucks taking the body of the 8 pointer and the head of the 26 pointer as one buck and tagged it in. The next morning, he returned and took the headless body of the 26 pointer and checked it in as a doe. In the meantime, he took the head of the 8 pointer and threw it in a ditch which law enforcement later recovered."

The man knew very much what he was doing illegal. If he had just hung the buck in his barn and shut the door, no one would have been the wiser. But it seems to be he wanted to still show it off. They guy who turned him in heard the buck was shot via a pic on facebook.

Everybody who hunts deer in Ohio knows that they impose fines in this manner.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Simple as that.

Levi
Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6407017
12/23/18 05:40 PM
12/23/18 05:40 PM
Ky
W
WHSKR Offline
trapper
WHSKR  Offline
trapper
W

Ky
Poke around in someone else’s business you may win a different kind of prize too

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: WHSKR] #6407019
12/23/18 05:44 PM
12/23/18 05:44 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Originally Posted by WHSKR
Poke around in someone else’s business you may win a different kind of prize too

That the approach to take for a thief ? That's what a poacher is .

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6407033
12/23/18 05:56 PM
12/23/18 05:56 PM
Wellington,Ohio
R
Ric Offline
trapper
Ric  Offline
trapper
R

Wellington,Ohio
Most of you folks decrying the fine are missing the point by narrowly focusing on what you think is a injustice.
The restitution formula has been in effect for a long time, it is common knowledge.
Quality Whitetail hunting is big business in Ohio. WITH MOST OF THE EXPENDITURES GOING TO PRIVATE CITIZENS. In the form of leases, Motels, restaurants, sporting goods stores etc. etc. There is no "trophy fee" the state gets it's tag and license fee and that's it.
People don't come here to hunt 100" deer they come to hunt 160+. He deprived every honest sportsman of an opportunity to hunt a tag that deer. Yes there was still time for someone to bag it this year.
The ODNR is responsible for the protection of the resource for the benefit of Ohio. By using the sliding scale to punish those poaching trophy deer they can accomplish that.
And BTW that's not the first time a 20K restitution has been levied.
Sure there was greed involved and it falls directly the the guy who harvested a descent legal buck, but just had to shoot that one because it was bigger

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6407044
12/23/18 06:05 PM
12/23/18 06:05 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Did they ever say where the deer was killed. Was it killed on Dick Tracey's Land were said theft of said cameras took place. If so He had every right to comb the deepest valleys and crest the highest hills in pursuit of the bush whacking greed driven amish deer slayer.
lol
Lighten up he didn't commit murder or sell a kilo of coke. If so he wouldn't have got such a harsh sentence....

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: jbyrd63] #6407047
12/23/18 06:06 PM
12/23/18 06:06 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
JUST looking at the day time pic IN MY OPINION the deer is older than 4 1/2 . If the whistle blower started hunting it at 2 1/2 he was only hunting it for 2 years COUNTING this year. Don't think 2 are several . But who am I. They had to make it sound like the squealer had invested his whole life in pursuit of this majestic animal that was so wronged. Plus since the amish guy hadn't tried to sell the mount or rack how did that make him greedy? Most deer hunters kill more than they HAVE TO have or need to survive... Does that mean everyone that kills a deer and doesn't use every inch of it is greedy???
Good grief, I have a 3 year old nephew that understands more and is easier to reason with.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: amspoker] #6407048
12/23/18 06:07 PM
12/23/18 06:07 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by amspoker

I read the same article jbyrd referred to. The "jealous squealer" had $700 worth of trail cams stolen, and I don't blame him for pursuing the matter. He could of poached the deer himself. Guess he felt the fine was a good deterrent not to.

The other article

"Realizing that the buck could not have been shot in Holmes County the Game Warden paid Junior Troyer a visit. Junior totally denied any wrong doing but the Game Warden wasn’t buying it.

After pressing Junior, he finally admitted to shooting a 130” eight pointer the morning of November 7 th. He then went out to hunt that evening and had Hay Rake walk by him. Junior let greed set in and shot the buck. He decapitated both bucks taking the body of the 8 pointer and the head of the 26 pointer as one buck and tagged it in. The next morning, he returned and took the headless body of the 26 pointer and checked it in as a doe. In the meantime, he took the head of the 8 pointer and threw it in a ditch which law enforcement later recovered."
The man knew very much what he was doing illegal. If he had just hung the buck in his barn and shut the door, no one would have been the wiser. But it seems to be he wanted to still show it off. They guy who turned him in heard the buck was shot via a pic on facebook.

Everybody who hunts deer in Ohio knows that they impose fines in this manner.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Simple as that.

Yep them there Amish are just using up so much space on Face book with their deer pics LOL

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6407053
12/23/18 06:11 PM
12/23/18 06:11 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Hey finster then why don't you just stop trying . Would love to read something that you didn't share all your infinite knowledge with everyone that is wrong because they don't see it as you do .

All I said and most here was that WE didn't agree with the fine amount, Based on other crimes against joe public. I nor anyone that I read said he shouldn't have gotten fined in some way.

Last edited by jbyrd63; 12/23/18 06:13 PM.
Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: jbyrd63] #6407060
12/23/18 06:17 PM
12/23/18 06:17 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Hey finster then why don't you just stop trying . Would love to read something that you didn't share all your infinite knowledge with everyone that is wrong because they don't see it as you do .

All I said and most here was that WE didn't agree with the fine amount, Based on other crimes against joe public. I nor anyone that I read said he shouldn't have gotten fined in some way.
A-Typical hypocritical statement. You sir are doing the EXACT same thing. In addition, it's call debating. look up the definition.

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6407064
12/23/18 06:20 PM
12/23/18 06:20 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Oh heck I stand corrected the day time pic was from 2017 so the buck was only 3 1/2 then . Ok look at the pic . The big gut, neck on that brusier yea right that deer is 3 1/2 ...LOL

Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6407068
12/23/18 06:22 PM
12/23/18 06:22 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks

antler hunting has caused nothing but problems here. grown men will fight over a @%$^**&^% deer. places where armed idiots drive around sections, pulling in front of people forcing them to stop and demanding to know why they are there and where they are going. I could go on but everyone reading this has seen the same stuff. all because one knothead wants to shoot a deer with bigger antlers than the knothead on the other side of the fence. it has gotten way way way out of hand. you guys saying that its not going on, that a deer poached with big antlers should be 28000, ( you can buy a nice house in rural ks for that) are part of the problem.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Ouch, look what the guy had to pay for this buck. [Re: ] #6407083
12/23/18 06:41 PM
12/23/18 06:41 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Let me give you an example of a blind eye. Few years back 3 UK football players were headed to a farm next to were I hunt on opening day of deer season . They had drank all night and left the bar at 2 am. Driving to Somerset about 75 miles from Lexington the driver ran off the road and flipped the pick-up. All three players were ejected and 2 were killed . Guess what the punishment was for 2 counts vehicleur homicide . Which he was found guilty of !!! Because of who he was and who his parents are he got SHOCK probation. Time served (little over 3 months). For killing two human beings. See people get all crossed up in what is important in life. Killing a B&C deer or TAKING A HUMAN LIFE. ALL I was saying in regards to this case. Punishment was TOO great compared to other crimes ......

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-football/article44057436.html

Last edited by jbyrd63; 12/23/18 06:47 PM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread