No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6420037
01/06/19 12:43 PM
01/06/19 12:43 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Whatever you do, encourage him. I'm not going to rag on public education. But it tries to force kids to fit a mold and move at the same speed as everyone else... It just doesn't work for the exceptional kids. They tend to get bored and give up.

My sister pulled both her boys out of public school. The youngest absolutely despised public school. He isn't a sit-still-and-read-and-recite kid. He is mechanically minded and has a drive to tinker and take things apart and make things. He still receives instruction in the essentials but has more free time to devote to mechanical work.

The kid is 10 and for his birthday and Christmas he asked for tools... And that's what he got.

He's "hyper" and can be exasperating at times. But if you sit down to teach him something that he is curious about he immediately settles down and you can see him soaking it all in.

Encourage him to go as far as he can.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: my sons iq [Re: Mike in A-town] #6420038
01/06/19 12:48 PM
01/06/19 12:48 PM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline OP
trapper
west river rogue  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Whatever you do, encourage him. I'm not going to rag on public education. But it tries to force kids to fit a mold and move at the same speed as everyone else... It just doesn't work for the exceptional kids. They tend to get bored and give up.

My sister pulled both her boys out of public school. The youngest absolutely despised public school. He isn't a sit-still-and-read-and-recite kid. He is mechanically minded and has a drive to tinker and take things apart and make things. He still receives instruction in the essentials but has more free time to devote to mechanical work.

The kid is 10 and for his birthday and Christmas he asked for tools... And that's what he got.

He's "hyper" and can be exasperating at times. But if you sit down to teach him something that he is curious about he immediately settles down and you can see him soaking it all in.

Mike

you are exactly right. I pulled him out of public once.......he is in private. BUT his mom had him doing more at 18 months to 2 than the school teaches at 4. He is going back to 1 on 1...the school bores him. He has alot of learning tools at home and I take him everywhere. Only reason he goes to any school is for the comraderie of the kids

Last edited by west river rogue; 01/06/19 12:50 PM.
Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6420136
01/06/19 03:28 PM
01/06/19 03:28 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by west river rogue
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

Mike

you are exactly right. I pulled him out of public once.......he is in private. BUT his mom had him doing more at 18 months to 2 than the school teaches at 4. He is going back to 1 on 1...the school bores him. He has alot of learning tools at home and I take him everywhere. Only reason he goes to any school is for the comraderie of the kids

There are better places for him to get the camaraderie of other kids that don’t keep him bored for several hours a day which can be a real killer for som one who is beyond the curriculum

The best advice you got in my opinion is to talk to an expert if your school doesn’t have one then should be able to put you in contact with one but there is a lot of good advice in the above posts

Just be glad you have a exceptional son and not a daughter, both my kids tested as well above the mark and both were in the same school system but where my son was encouraged to take all the advanced classes he could my daughter had to fight for almost every one she wanted to take

One thing I have always e thankful fo is that both my kids got my smarts but also got their mothers stubborn streak and will to fight for what they want

All right n all it sounds like you will do well by your son

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6420138
01/06/19 03:35 PM
01/06/19 03:35 PM
trapper
trapper

USA schools don't have until after kinder...he will school with his mom like before for advanced

Re: my sons iq [Re: snowy] #6420636
01/06/19 11:42 PM
01/06/19 11:42 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
yes it is awesome and at times scary to have youth with that much potential. Your son has scored very well. Our daughter was high but not that high and we did not have her tested until the 3rd grade. There were many options but we chose to stay in our local public school that was offering a Gifted and Talented program so she could stay with her classmates. Also I was just too tight to spend the money some outfits wanted to give her a better education. She is now a professor of clinical psychology at a university doing genetic research on depression. She chose the academic route as she prefers that and she has been head hunted by many hospitals and corporations and has been willing to turn down those offers. We found that our decision to stay within our local public school system did not result in her not being able to compete in the larger arenas.
I am grateful for all her capabilities and here desire to stay as grounded as she has. She did take up hockey and played on women's team through college, grad school and into her mid 40s. I played hockey in college at the club level and I told her that the physical activity would help remove all the brain stress from studying and it worked for her like it did for me.

Bryce

Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6420764
01/07/19 08:33 AM
01/07/19 08:33 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
If he is as bright as the experts say he is, find a good school for him and resist the temptation to blame any stumble he my take as the fault of that school.
I have seen many, many kids identified as "gifted" fall short of the accomplishments of other bright students because of an elitist attitude the lable planted in their(and their parents) heads. Two of these cases resulted in law suits against the districts(one was successful)the kids attended claiming the school did not challenge the kid enough. Kinda funny when you know the kid(who seems no brighter than average) and the for fact that his GPA was in the B- range-and he missed at least a day or two every week. Niether of these young men finished college and are still living with their mothers in their late 20's.--but I digress

Depending upon where you live, there are some schools he can attend that will hold him to high standards and will allow him to explore advanced levels of activities in more than just traditional areas of his education-Think STEM. The fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, Math are broad enough that he can go as far as his abilities and efforts will take him.

All that said, most public schools can provide a very good education to any kid if he resists the temptation to "coast" his way through school and(probably more important) stays out a peer group made up of kids who look at education as something they are forced to suffer until they are 18.

IMHO, the most important thing a parent can do to ensure a kid reaches his potential is to encourage him chalenge himself, hold him accountable, and don't accept excuses.

Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6420768
01/07/19 08:39 AM
01/07/19 08:39 AM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
I took an online test with 10 questions that only a genius can get them all right.....I aced it, so I'm a genius!!!

Next up: college GoFundMe.

Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6420775
01/07/19 08:48 AM
01/07/19 08:48 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Pass-thru, I sometimes wonder if some school psychologist use that very test to label some gifted students grin.

Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6420893
01/07/19 11:27 AM
01/07/19 11:27 AM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
I have very little to offer here except that he is a very impressive child with incredible potential to be whatever he chooses in life. At that age I had just learned how to eat crayons.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: my sons iq [Re: MnMan] #6420977
01/07/19 01:06 PM
01/07/19 01:06 PM
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by MnMan
I have very little to offer here except that he is a very impressive child with incredible potential to be whatever he chooses in life. At that age I had just learned how to eat crayons.

Me too.

Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6421047
01/07/19 02:23 PM
01/07/19 02:23 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
Sounds like you’re doing things to the best of your and his abilities. Chinese do something similar. They REQUIRE their kindergarten aged kids to be able to read some English by the time they get to school. So, parents are always reading to them, having them listen to audio and video training training, or enrolling them in pre-kindergarten classes. By third grade, these same kids have to get 100% on 40-question math exams to keep up with the school requirements. It’s insane but it also produces kids who can read, write and think in 2 languages. And it’s why China is beating us in literacy today.

It’s the parental commitment like yours that will help him get even better

Last edited by Teacher; 01/07/19 02:25 PM.

Never too old to learn
Re: my sons iq [Re: Teacher] #6421102
01/07/19 03:38 PM
01/07/19 03:38 PM
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by Teacher
Sounds like you’re doing things to the best of your and his abilities. Chinese do something similar. They REQUIRE their kindergarten aged kids to be able to read some English by the time they get to school. So, parents are always reading to them, having them listen to audio and video training training, or enrolling them in pre-kindergarten classes. By third grade, these same kids have to get 100% on 40-question math exams to keep up with the school requirements. It’s insane but it also produces kids who can read, write and think in 2 languages. And it’s why China is beating us in literacy today.

It’s the parental commitment like yours that will help him get even better

thanks teacher. Youre right. Even the philippines is leading the usa in academics now. I didnt believe it until I brought my son here and experienced it. His mom taught him at home in philippines. At 3 months he consistantly said mom and dad,,at 18 months abc"s...at 2 yrs he memorized now i lay me down to sleep and the lords prayer in 9 days saying it once a night. He speaks filipino,english and a little italian. At 3 he counted to 50. I give credit to his mom for these things. We knew very early he was different as did everybody around us. Our neighbor was a retired professor from austraila,,sons grandpa was mathmetician for coca cola...they raised 10 kids and 10 college grads . He was speaking 4 syllable words at 16-18 months because all his relatives names were 3-4 syllables.grandma ipispania,,grandpa rogelio,,terresita etc, When I brought him to usa at 3 he was speaking in 8-10 word phrases. A child psychologist from philippines was on plane with us coming to usa across the aisle. When we landed in california she asked me "how old is he"? I replied he turned 3 last week and she told me"he is very advanced"! We suspected it but heck,dont all parents think that?

Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6421108
01/07/19 03:42 PM
01/07/19 03:42 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Teacher, I believe your point about reading to a child from a very early age is one of the very best things a parent can do for them.

How long have you been teaching?

Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6421119
01/07/19 03:50 PM
01/07/19 03:50 PM
trapper
trapper

everybody in asia speaks minimum 2 languages. Most speak 3 or 4

Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6421134
01/07/19 04:04 PM
01/07/19 04:04 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
We wait too long to teach other languages to most kids here. Some schools are doing something about that, but most are streched pretty thin by some of the other requirements to give it much attention.

Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6421140
01/07/19 04:11 PM
01/07/19 04:11 PM
MN
S
SkyeDancer Offline
trapper
SkyeDancer  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by west river rogue
tested at 170...we always knew he was bright. He qualifies for the mensa records but we just want him to be a boy. The schools are behind him here for his age but his mom and I want him to be with kids his age. It was an experiment. My neighbor was Dr larry J roszman born and bred over on the next section. a Genius and rocket scientist. His mom told me what she believed made him that way. I told his(my sons ) mom to do it when he was born. She did. At 3 months he said mom and dad consistantly....did abc"s at 18 months...picked up lords prayer and now i lay me down to sleep in a week at 2. spoke complete sentences very early and pronounced 4 syllable names at 2. His moms family is also smart.

So now you know his potential......find a way to help him reach it

Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6421144
01/07/19 04:23 PM
01/07/19 04:23 PM
Blue Creek, Ohio
Hal Offline
"old windy fartbag"
Hal  Offline
"old windy fartbag"

Blue Creek, Ohio
Be not afraid. If the child is that intelligent he will be able to find his own way through life, no matter how hard you try to help him. smile
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
La pervenche est une tr�s belle couleur!!

Re: my sons iq [Re: west river rogue] #6421159
01/07/19 04:31 PM
01/07/19 04:31 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
How'd you do that, Hal?

Re: my sons iq [Re: gryhkl] #6421164
01/07/19 04:33 PM
01/07/19 04:33 PM
Blue Creek, Ohio
Hal Offline
"old windy fartbag"
Hal  Offline
"old windy fartbag"

Blue Creek, Ohio
Stuck on the clipboard. Sorry. Fixed it.

[Linked Image]
La pervenche est une tr�s belle couleur!!

Re: my sons iq [Re: Hal] #6421167
01/07/19 04:38 PM
01/07/19 04:38 PM
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by Hal
Be not afraid. If the child is that intelligent he will be able to find his own way through life, no matter how hard you try to help him. smile

I'm not the right one to teach him academics...PTSD and little patience. His mom will teach him for 4 months this summer.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread